Love Poems

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
What do you think of them? If you got one (Girls, mainly), would you find it sweet or weird?
Would the men out there ever consider writing one? HAVE you in the past?
I was just wondering, because in my attempts in wooing I've been told I'm very old fashioned (In a good way), clever compliments, laying a coat over a puddle and chivalry. I've started one just now, and was thinking what the nice intelligent people on the Escapist thought about them? Would you like it if they came back into fashion?

Basically just your thoughts on them.
Oh, and all the older things, like songs or letters made purely for the one you're chasing.

Edit: For clarifications, I'm not asking 'Whether I should'. I was just wondering about your opinions on the 'Outdated' stuff.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Just bash things, swear, and do fist pumps. Chicks dig the alpha male crap until they get a harsh dose of reality (some don't, though).

My advice? Save the poetry for later, when it's actually worth the try.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'm a guy... I would never write a love poem... ever... usually because they're cliched, sappy, cheesy and embarrassing...

Then again I'm not intelligent...

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I wouldn't have anything to do with them but then again the only thing I get from poems is the joy of analysing what the actual message was then wondering why the hell the author decided not to get to the point until 16 stanzas in.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
unabomberman said:
Just bash things, swear, and do fist pumps. Chicks dig the alpha male crap until they get a harsh dose of reality (some don't, though).

Erm, I'm not asking whether I should or not. I was just wondering about peoples views on these "Outdated" things.

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Slags'll laugh at you. Regular(whatever that may be or might mean is still a mystery) girls'll love the sentiment. Shy ones'll dismiss it because you're trying to get close. So just stick to the easy stuff...hit things, shout at strangers and go 'Woiiiiiiiiiiiiii!' in public. Chicks will always dig that alpha male crap until they realise you're an asshole :)

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Count Igor said:
unabomberman said:

Erm, I'm not asking whether I should or not. I was just wondering about peoples views on these "Outdated" things.
I assumed it was an indirect way of asking. My bad.

My view is that I dig them. Poems, love or otherwise, are pretty cool things.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Belle Dame Sans Merci. Not feeling overly kind about the fairer sex at the moment. And no, I wouldn't use poetry as a wooing strategy, although I may as well try as I'm fucking useless at the usual approaches.

Doive

Nov 6, 2010
Zeithri said:
I would like it if someone I loved would write me one.
I would like it lots.

But I am that way~
Roses are gash,
Violets are silly,
Grease up those flaps,
'cos here comes my willy!

Feel free to use that one, boys.

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
I have written a girl a few love poems, and she really appreciated the sentiment. In fact, she still has all of them, five years after we broke up. I think they can be a great way of expressing yourself, as long as she's the type of girl who will enjoy poetry, and you keep it honest. Don't go for all the stupid cliches, and they're actually pretty effective.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
I don't actually "get" poems, I can't see the hidden meanings behind them. Normally I stay clear of them, I haven't read (well nearly any) poetry since leaving school where it was mandatory.

That being said, I did write a Valentine's Day poem for the missus which had her gushing.

Doive

Nov 6, 2010
Zeithri said:
Doive said:
Zeithri said:
I would like it if someone I loved would write me one.
I would like it lots.

But I am that way~
Roses are gash,
Violets are silly,
Grease up those flaps,
'cos here comes my willy!

Feel free to use that one, boys.
"The Cat tried flirting
With words of cliche in fun way
I yawned and catnap
"
~ Zeithri

Is not very good at writing haiku but I try ;; It's probably terribly weird.
Compared to my emotionally charged declaration, yes yours is terribly weird! Haikus are 5-7-5 are they not? I count 8 in your second line.

The saucy minx tried,
but simply could not resist,
there are none who can.
~ Doive

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Hmm, would i have a go? I might, though my literature tends to be very dark. My writing in general tends to be somewhat bleak, cynical and pessimistic. I take the worst qualities of humanity and exemplify them. I find it hard to write sugary optimism and that goes for stories or poetry. If i were to write a poem, it would contain the required sentiments of love, desire, passion, and other feelings and emotions associated with it, though it would likely be very subtle. The untrained eye may read it and consider it very critical and negative. You'd have to read between the lines, so to speak. Understand the metaphors, look for a meaning beyond the obvious. Think about representation. It's part of the reason i don't write very often. It's from the soul and it can be seen as very convoluted and difficult to digest, often being dismissed as depressive without looking for something beneath it.