Love Potion Number 3

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Love Potion Number 3

Love finds a way... to mutate until unrecognizable.

Read Full Article

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Hmm....So I'm guessing it doesn't work the way it's suppose to?

Don't worry, just call it a vitamin supplement and you can put it out to market without even having it approved by the FDA. ;p

[sub](<-It's funny, because it's true. <-<)[/sub]

Thanks for warning informing us about this new product, Nick! ;D

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So were potions 1 and 2 better or worse?

Put his massive brain in a jar and force him to work as a computer.

Is only one of his eyes bleeding?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
You should have seen what this guy looked like before LP3! He was completely hideous. And now, through the miracle of modern science magic, he is only mostly hideous.

Nick, were you the creepy kid in the back of the classroom always drawing horrific illustrations to amuse your equally creepy friends and gross out any girls brave enough to venture back to the pencil sharpener?

Beth: Gosh darn it. I broke my pencil lead. But I'd rather fail this test than get anywhere near that Lerman weirdo. Is he even taking the 6th Dimensional Geography test or just drawing more horrific doodles?
Angela: *Shrugs*
Mr. Calvin: Beth! That's detention for you! No speaking during the test. And such language! I'm going to telegraph your squid parents immediately.

Wow. That seems so plausible, that it must be the truth. Though I kind of wish Angela had a bigger part. And I really haven't decided if Beth is a squid or just adopted. In any case, Mr. Calvin WAS the actual name of my 6th Dimensional Geography teacher. Somebody put that in the IMDB "fun facts" section once this screenplay goes to full movie release.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
You should have seen what this guy looked like before LP3! He was completely hideous. And now, through the miracle of modern science magic, he is only mostly hideous.
well, he's still hideous enough to keep me awake tonight *shudders*

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Love conquers all...cellular boundaries.

kailus13 said:
Love Potion 1 made you irresistible, but your genitals would periodically spontaneously combust.

I'd say it's a tie.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I love art and talent as much as the next guy; far be it from me to begrudge someone getting paid for their work...

But, uh, am I the only one who looks at this stuff and wonders why it's on the Escapist?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Smart women are sexy. Now, if only I could figure out what gender that big-brained freak is.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Alpha Maeko said:
I love art and talent as much as the next guy; far be it from me to begrudge someone getting paid for their work...

But, uh, am I the only one who looks at this stuff and wonders why it's on the Escapist?
You might just be. But please elaborate, why shouldn't this be on the Escapist?

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I feel like I'm missing something. The grotesque picture has to do with what? Is there some kind of human-mutating vitamin supplement on the market??

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
michael87cn said:
I feel like I'm missing something. The grotesque picture has to do with what? Is there some kind of human-mutating vitamin supplement on the market??
That or someone's been watching Rick and Morty.

Or, as Rick put it:
"Ok, well....sometimes science is more art than science, Morty. A lot of people don't get that."

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
Nick, were you the creepy kid in the back of the classroom always drawing horrific illustrations to amuse your equally creepy friends and gross out any girls brave enough to venture back to the pencil sharpener?

Beth: Gosh darn it. I broke my pencil lead. But I'd rather fail this test than get anywhere near that Lerman weirdo. Is he even taking the 6th Dimensional Geography test or just drawing more horrific doodles?
Angela: *Shrugs*
Mr. Calvin: Beth! That's detention for you! No speaking during the test. And such language! I'm going to telegraph your squid parents immediately.
I am like an open book to you, bound in living flesh.
Beth was a sweetheart once you got past the hunt tentacles and the flesh-rending beak.
If she had gone to the back to sharpen that pencil my face would have melted off and pooled upon the floor.
Very embarrassing, especially when the tongue flops out of the skull.
Don't get me started on Angela.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Remus said:
Alpha Maeko said:

You might just be. But please elaborate, why shouldn't this be on the Escapist?
The Escapist hires on their own dime, this isn't DeviantArt.

So, what market was this aimed at? I guess that's what I'm asking.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Love conquers all...cellular boundaries.

kailus13 said:
Love Potion 1 made you irresistible, but your genitals would periodically spontaneously combust.

I'd say it's a tie.
What like on a timetable basis? "Ladies, I only have an hour before my cock catches fire. Form a queue." I pity the partners of those with poor time management.

Love potion 2 made you incredibly attractive, but entirely impotent. Popular with Hollywood actors.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Alpha Maeko said:

I'll just drop this here...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/9225-Highlanders-Anonymous

It is undestandable to inquire about the target audience for Fraught with Peril. Nick's art and humor are not for the mainstream comic reader. But, if not here, then where? And if your arguement is "maybe just not at all" then you are entitled to it. But I tend to go looking for Fraught with Peril on Wednesdays before Feed Dump or Zero Punctuation. Maybe because it comes out at 8am--but maybe not.

Mr. Lerman has told his story of how he and the Escapist found each other in the comment section of one of his comics. I can't find it now, but it is there. The story isn't complicated. If memory serves me correctly there's blackmail involved, some missing push pins, and an opossum adicted to pain medication.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Octafish is the only one who is even slightly on target. We have a whole web site full of people who never heard "Love Potion No. 9"? Really? Am I such a dinosaur?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Houseman said:
Clankenbeard said:
Alpha Maeko said:

I'll just drop this here...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/9225-Highlanders-Anonymous

It is undestandable to inquire about the target audience for Fraught with Peril. Nick's art and humor are not for the mainstream comic reader. But, if not here, then where? And if your arguement is "maybe just not at all" then you are entitled to it. But I tend to go looking for Fraught with Peril on Wednesdays before Feed Dump or Zero Punctuation. Maybe because it comes out at 8am--but maybe not.

Mr. Lerman has told his story of how he and the Escapist found each other in the comment section of one of his comics. I can't find it now, but it is there. The story isn't complicated. If memory serves me correctly there's blackmail involved, some missing push pins, and an opossum adicted to pain medication.
Since you seem to enjoy it, why do you enjoy Fraught with Peril?
Do you find this particular "comic" funny? If so, funny "ha ha" or funny "heh"? Why, or why not?
Fair enough. For starters, here is Nick's description of how he buddied up with The Escapist: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.833207-Brush-Your-Teeth-Sophia#20367925
Here is my previous explanation of why I enjoy Fraught with Peril:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.836360-Organic-Holiday-Gift-Suggestions#20499333
(The two posts just below it are good reads as well.)

Now, to answer your question. No. I do not find this particular comic funny. It is neither "ha ha" nor "heh" funny. In all honesty it is kinda gross. Nick's art style is decidedly (and I am betting intentionally) basic. He supposedly borrows his daughter's colored pencils to produce his art. And that story lends to some of the charm. If Nick weren't present to respond each Wednesday, I would likely have lost interest in this series. Yeah. I said it. His art is creepy. (I think Garbage Pail Kids are just one-pun grossness with none of the higher level cleverness that Nick injects. And for some reason, they found a mainstream following.)

But each "comic" turns into a "jumping off point" for discussion amongst a demented subset of Escapist patrons. Folks chime in with their own twisted humor and the thread turns into something well worth reading. Some of these responses have been hillarious. (I fondly recall a "vegetarian ceiling fan myth busted" as one of my favorites.) Some weeks, I don't find inspiration in Nick's illustration and I don't comment. But, it all plays out kind of like an inside joke--which tends to be more funny to the people who are "in on it".

Nick posts disturbia. We all comment and build a thread with our own attempts at humor. Nick responds with more craziness to fan the fire a bit. We all get it out of our system in 2-3 days. Repeat next week. It is like an Amish barn raising razing.