Love Thy Neighbor's Epic Loot in This Castle-Raiding Game

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Love Thy Neighbor's Epic Loot in This Castle-Raiding Game

This looks like what would happen if Evil Genius and Orcs Must Die had a bling-obsessed baby.

Here's a challenge for the strategists out there. In Mighty Quest for Epic Loot you design your own castle, complete with monsters and traps, in what looks like a cross between a medieval Orcs Must Die [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93037-Rule-the-World-With-New-Strategy-Classics-at-GOG-com]; then you defend it against your neighbors, who may be bots or online friends. When they cough it - assuming your defenses are up to snuff - you get epic loot. And when not on the defense, you're on offense, raiding nearby castles for fun and yet more epic loot.

"If you're not spending your every waking moment obsessed with the size of your treasure pile," says the official site, "then your neighbors will think something's very wrong with you." The whole thing takes place in Opulencia, a Prestige Feudal Heroism Community where gravity has taken a holiday. The cheerful fellow you see in the trailer is Sir Painhammer, one of the three Unusual Suspects who form the current Community elite; a group which you, as a budding castle-basher, hope one day to join.

There's no confirmed launch date for this yet, but Ubisoft wants to get the show on the road ASAP. Testing begins soon. Meanwhile there's an official site [http://www.themightyquest.com/mqel-live/web/] you should have a look at, if you want to learn more.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/embark-on-mighty-quest-for-epic-loot-ubisoft-montreals-first/]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Well, yet another game for me to be interested in. It reminds me more of Dungeons: Dark Lord than Evil Genius though. But that's just me.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wow that seems like a Pixar movie, only hope the game is as good as the trailer.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
But, what platform(s)??

I'm guessing PC, but honestly it looks like it could be mobile too.

Clarification please.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
that trailer is is lol funny, hope the game can live up to that, i think i rather see a movie based on that :p.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now that Ubisoft ditched its always-online DRM, this actually looks appealing.

Also i did some digging the game is currently in closed alpha, and seems set to enter closed beta in October.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
So... a game that combines my love of underhanded trickery AND obsession with shiny loot?

Welp, since I can't play Borderlands 2, it looks like this just may be in my to-buy list.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Really? Like "a medieval Evil Genius"? Why not just 'Like Dungeon Keeper'? Evil Genius is, after all, the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper which did indeed involve defending a high fantasy dungeon from adventuring invaders.

Still, sounds like good times. Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius has been due for another version for a while now and Dungeons didn't really fill that niche.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
So... a game that combines my love of underhanded trickery AND obsession with shiny loot?

Welp, since I can't play Borderlands 2, it looks like this just may be in my to-buy list.
Why no borderlands 2? It's a lootwhores dream just like Diablo.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Falterfire said:
Really? Like "a medieval Evil Genius"? Why not just 'Like Dungeon Keeper'? Evil Genius is, after all, the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper which did indeed involve defending a high fantasy dungeon from adventuring invaders.

Still, sounds like good times. Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius has been due for another version for a while now and Dungeons didn't really fill that niche.
Well, there's Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die!, along with many, many other tower defense games. It's not as if there's any shortage of that style of gameplay.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
kajinking said:
JaceArveduin said:

Why no borderlands 2? It's a lootwhores dream just like Diablo.
I know it is, but my CPU's not good enough to run it, I'd basically have to buy a completely new computer, and as a broke college kid, I don't have the cash to spare.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Well, there's Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die!, along with many, many other tower defense games. It's not as if there's any shortage of that style of gameplay.
Eh. In my mind there's a difference between a TowerDefense/FPS like DunDef/OMD! and a base management simulator like Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius. They may share a few surface similarities, but anybody who has played both DunDef and Dungeon Keeper can tell you that play completely differently.

So if this game leans more towards a DungeonKeeper type setup, I will probably be playing lots of it. (NOTE: I loved OMD, I just also would like this sort of game)

SPAMBLOCK NOTE: "Which of these do you get for free with the dish summer sale?" Damned if I know. damned if I care. Why are you even asking me that?

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I really liked that trailer, it was funny and to the point.

"This is my big room, and this is my little room!"

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Looks good. Did anyone else think the voice actor sounded like Captain Quark?
I was hoping he'd be more like Captain Blasto. Alas, ye can't ressurect the dead now, can we?

Still, trailer was fun to watch.