Lovecraft and Physics Team Up For Magrunner Dark Pulse

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lovecraft and Physics Team Up For Magrunner Dark Pulse

In Magrunner Dark Pulse, the Cthulhu fhtagn is most definitely not a lie.

In Magrunner Dark Pulse, you play one of seven young, brilliant citizens chosen by the Gruckezber Corporation to test its Magtech technology, which promises to usher in a bold new era of deep space exploration. As part of that program, you're sent to a special facility to train with a glove that allows wearers to manipulate objects by magnetically charging them. You'll use the glove to move pedestals, platforms and other objects in order to traverse a series of very large-scale obstacle courses.

"The Portal is strong with this one," you might be thinking, and you'd be right, at least for awhile. What makes Magrunner Dark Pulse unique and potentially interesting is The Big Twist, when things go wrong and the fabric of time and space is ripped open, throwing you into the realm of the Cthulhu Mythos! That's right, we're talking Portal meets Lovecraft here, a mashup of GlaDOS and Shub-Niggurath, and although I have no idea if it'll be any good, I sure do like the idea.

[gallery=1475]

Magrunner Dark Pulse is being developed for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Pricing and release date have not been announced.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Portal puzzles, a gravity gun, and Cthulhu?

I know it's a ripoff, it looks like a ripoff, it smells like a ripoff. It doesn't even showcase any new mechanics for goodness sake.

I still don't care about any of those facts and desperately want it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
A Cthulhu puzzle game with no non-euclidean geometry? Blasphemy, I say! Blasphemy! I demand non-euclidean geometry! :mad:

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Porthulhu? Yes please. Although yes, it does look like it could end up as a massive rip-off without really innovating beyond the use of tentacle-y goodness (badness I suppose).

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
The mechanics will probably be more varied than they were in Portal. I think this looks a bit more like Q.U.B.E. than Portal. I wonder if the protagonist will actually "win" against the elder gods/minions or simply escape them

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
We've got a saying here in the Netherlands,

"Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht" or "Better well stolen than badly invented".

I think that applies here quite aptly, nothing wrong with copying good ideas as long as you copy them well and add in a little twist of your own. That definitely seems to be the case here so looking forward to it.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Let's see. Off the top of my head, I identify:

*A Deep One
*A Dark Spawn of Shub-Niggurath (with anatomically correct number of legs)
*A Mi-Go (on Yuggoth no less)
*And a statue of the Big C himself

You have my attention.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Looking forward to it. :D Can't say I haven't been waiting for more Lovecraftian goodness. Didn't expect a physics game though.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I don't love the idea, and the art style isn't doing it for me.

I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft, so I'd rather just have a game within the mythos minus the physics puzzles. Especially as one of the main themes of his work is that the sum of reality is far greater than our 3 dimensions and that our notions of time and geometry are quaint.

It seems like a really bad choice of source material to insert into a system of logic puzzles.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
KoudelkaMorgan said:

I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft, so I'd rather just have a game within the mythos minus the physics puzzles. Especially as one of the main themes of his work is that the sum of reality is far greater than our 3 dimensions and that our notions of time and geometry are quaint.

It seems like a really bad choice of source material to insert into a system of logic puzzles.
I think they'll do somethin aside from what they showed, cuz throwing out there that there's something wrong and there's "creatures" under the facility is kind of a big deal, and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't put that there if that was their only twist, unless they're desperate of course.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
KoudelkaMorgan said:

It could work if done well. It could really work very well.

If they first set up the game as a purely logical puzzler where the 3 dimensions and our notions of time and geometry are all-determining and then, once shit starts going to hell, utterly crush those things leaving the player utterly confused and afraid of just how exactly they're going to get out.

It'd be extremely difficult to pull off but I'd say it could be done.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Seriously though, this looks GOOD. It looks like real FUN. Lovecraft and physics...or Lovecraftian physics? Mwa ha ha ha haaa...