Lowering the Bat-Bar

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Lowering the Bat-Bar

Does Warner Bros. secretly want you to think The Dark Knight Rises looks bad?

Read Full Article

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
uh, Bob, this article reminds a bit of one of those "Nintendo is teh doomedz!" articles I grew tired of about three years ago. And not in a good way

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I live in Pittsburgh, and They filmed at heinz field with some Steelers Players and about 20,000 fans/extras in the stadium. I was one of them, so i will be in the best film of all time :) They are still filming till the end of Sept. Liberty bridge/tunnel (an unusually long but very small circular tunnel with 4 lanes was closed on numerous occasions for filming. I would jog along liberty bridge and up mt washington during shoots, and saw some fatanstic driving sequences with the bat mobile and cat woman's motorcycle. At another shoot downtown pittsburgh, businesses were told that there would be a loud explosion along one of the streets. Man was it big! Rattled buildings about 5 blocks away. Many Pittsburgh Residents are excited to see the movie that has little marketing buzz, but I believe doesn't need it since Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were fantastic movies. I only wished that Heath Ledger didn't die so he could show up as the Joker in future movies. It will be very hard to fill his shoes as the next Villian.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Aiddon said:
uh, Bob, this article reminds a bit of one of those "Nintendo is teh doomedz!" articles I grew tired of about three years ago. And not in a good way
How? He certainly isn't saying that the movie's going to be bad at all, in fact, he's more implying that it will be qood and that they're trying to hide that fact so people don't get too excited about it. He makes a good point saying that they'll never match the strength of Dark Knight, because lets face it, he's almost guaranteed to be right. Because of its success, the new film is guaranteed to be compared to Dark Knight, and it probably won't be favorably. "Oh, this was done so much better" "Nothing can match Heath Ledger's Performance" and so on. So the best way to manage it is to keep the hype as low as possible. It's impossible to eliminate expectations, and I know I have to struggle against my assumptions of the film myself, but it is possible to manage the output of leaked material. Whatever the case is, I'm going to see it, because of those same four words: In Nolan we trust.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I have never been over excited about the Nolan Batman films.
To me they have always seemed a tad soul-less and over hyped.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, to be honest I have mixed opinions about the Nolanverse. I thought the movies were decent, but I didn't think they captured the essence of Batman from the comics very well.

"The Dark Knight" benefitted from the hype generated by Heath Ledger dying. It being a good movie of course helped it's performance, but you can't underestimate the influance that had on it.

The third "Nolanverse" movie doesn't have anything so attention getting in it, and a lot of the changes to the characters we're seeing continue to demonstrate how far out of context Nolan has been getting with "Batman". As he hits his third movie it's becoming increasingly difficult to see any real connection between the characters in his movies, and the comics they are supposed to be from. Bane and Catwoman seem to largely just be action movie cliques, albiet probably well done ones, that are carrying the names of popular comic characters.

As far as a Lazarus Pit goes, that would be awesome, but truthfully I don't think it fits with the Nolanverse because it would have been a factor much earlier on. He'd kind of have to retcon the first movie to some extent, and something like that would definatly play havoc with his attempt to do this with very human seeming characters.

Truthfully I think these movies will be remembered fondly, but that nobody has yet to really do the definitive live action "Batman".

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Batman Begins and Dark Knight were good movies but I thought Christian Bale's Batman was the worst thing about them. The costume where he can't turn his head was ridiculous and the "bat voice" was just laughable. I'm a big fan of the Batman mythology but I don't think the new one will bring anything to the table that the other two didn't already.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
You know... that picture makes Ms Hathaway look more like Batgirl than Catwoman. Interesting...

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
What the eff is John Carter? It was a good article, to be sure, but that throwaway link to a trailer has me scratching my head more than anything. It was like a wierd mix of sci-fi, fantasy, western, conan, old timey london, lord of the rings, whatever. o_O

Now that I've looked it up I see that John Carter of Mars is old school golden era sci fi. Good stuff, I'm happy to see that kind of thing come to be big screen. It also explains why it felt so strange. Stuff from way back can hop between what we now classify as different genres like you wouldn't beleive. I should take a look at the Barsoom books....

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Funny, just before reading this article I was thinking about how Rises would end up doing in the Box Office. Here's my conjecture:

Slightly before the movie comes out (2 months, 4 months, 6 months, whatever WB/Nolan decides is good) there will be something (probably a really good trailer) that kicks up a ton of hype. There will be a huge amount of promotion right before it's released. It'll top HP8's opening weekend, and if it's considered superior to TDK by reviewers and word-of-mouth AND has a breakout performance like The Joker, then it stands a chance of overtaking TDK.

Though, overall, it seems like the previous movie in a series has more to do with how much a movie will make than the movie itself (look at, say, X-men 3), so who can really know?

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The Dark Knight Rises.... Lazarus Rises...

Bane breaks Batman's back, Catwoman puts him in the Lazarus pit to rise again and then take out Bane. In the meantime Ridder the person that will discover the Lazarus pit in the beginning of the movie will be on a crusade to figure out who Batman is, in the end he'll find out, but be left in a stalemate with Batman where Batman can't put him away without fear of Ridder revealing whom Batman is, and Batman will threaten to give Ridder's identity to Ra al Ghul's men whom will be looking for him for violating their circle and discovering the Lazarus pit in the first place.

Que credits

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Therumancer said:
Truthfully I think these movies will be remembered fondly, but that nobody has yet to really do the definitive live action "Batman".
You might not agree but in my opinion the first Tim Burton Batman with Michael Keaton was the best representation of Batman on the big screen.

Though none of them are even in the same league as the 90's [link href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/"]Batman Animated Series[/link]

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
MovieBob said:
But even that carries with it the same basic problem - right now, the main reason to be looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises is that The Dark Knight was awesome.
Nope. The main reason to look forward to TDKR is that The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Inception, The Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento were ALL awesome. When they say "In Nolan we trust" that rep carries the real weight of an impeccable resume.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Dark Knight had a very similar marketing campaign (slow, for a long time), so I can't say I'm particularly worried.

"it's a whole different level of odd that she also doesn't look much at all like a cat."

Doesn't exactly fit into the realist approach, does it? And I thought the whole thing was because she had a hard-on for cats and she was a cat burglar?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Wow- now that was a slow boil.
You were two pages into the article before you even got to your point.

Other than that, a good article. Not sure that I believe it, though.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Therumancer said:
You might not agree but in my opinion the first Tim Burton Batman with Michael Keaton was the best representation of Batman on the big screen.

Though none of them are even in the same league as the 90's [link href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/"]Batman Animated Series[/link]
Agreed with you on both counts, friend.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
That's a really interesting idea and it seems like it rings very true.

I hope Batman does get a good buzz on release, although TDK and Batman Begins weren't very related they have been some of my favourite movies over the past years.

It's scary how much control marketers have over people's impressions though. It's easy to forget how much of what you think of something has come from carefully filtered and fed information. I have opinions on way to many games and films I've never played/seen :(