Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

So I have to wonder how much there really is to this. I know Nintendo has some.....interesting relations with media using their IP they don't personally approve(How they were apparently issuing takedowns to youtubers playing their games for awhile) but at the same time, leaks happen. Half of the are probably bullshit on a given day *Glares at the Elden Ring "Leaks"*. It makes me wonder it either of these shows had made any progress beyond the "This would be cool if we did this" stage if it's that easy to just kill them in the crib because somebody leaked.

OTOH, this is the studio that let the Super Mario Bros movie happen, partially because they apparently felt there was no reason to worry because it would make money for sure, given Marios Popularity so maybe Nintendo would do something like that? Or maybe they weren't that keen on it anyway and the Leak thing was an excuse to call it off?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So I have to wonder how much there really is to this. I know Nintendo has some.....interesting relations with media using their IP they don't personally approve(How they were apparently issuing takedowns to youtubers playing their games for awhile) but at the same time, leaks happen. Half of the are probably bullshit on a given day *Glares at the Elden Ring "Leaks"*. It makes me wonder it either of these shows had made any progress beyond the "This would be cool if we did this" stage if it's that easy to just kill them in the crib because somebody leaked.

OTOH, this is the studio that let the Super Mario Bros movie happen, partially because they apparently felt there was no reason to worry because it would make money for sure, given Marios Popularity so maybe Nintendo would do something like that? Or maybe they weren't that keen on it anyway and the Leak thing was an excuse to call it off?
I think the whole leak thing is bull-crap and they know it. They just didn't want to follow through on it and got cold feet for whatever reason.

At least that Sonic animated TV series adaption is happening in 2022. I'm excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I don't know what Nintendo is thinking at times. Or, screw it, a lot of the time. This is just the latest in a long line of decisions that make no sense. Nintendo's only saving grace is that they make some pretty damn good games, even if they do their darndest to make it hard for the Average Joe to get.

So, this. I get the desire for quality control, and for secrecy, but to axe a project because it leaks. Um, why? Also, I'm not surprised that Star Fox got a College Humour Claymation, a company that, for all its strengths, has never really done plot-centric material. Said it before, and I'll say it again, Nintendo has no idea what to do with the Star Fox IP, so pawning off the IP for something like this doesn't surprise me.

It's kind of funny that Brawlman brings up Sonic Prime, because it's an example of where Sega does what Nintendon't, and that's actually allowing its IPs to be licenced. Yeah, the Sonic games have been hit or miss, but I'd argue that the IP as a whole is all the better for allowing people to experiment with it. Nintendo would never allow an equivalent of Sonic Mania for example. Heck, they couldn't even abide AM2R.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know what Nintendo is thinking at times. Or, screw it, a lot of the time. This is just the latest in a long line of decisions that make no sense. Nintendo's only saving grace is that they make some pretty damn good games, even if they do their darndest to make it hard for the Average Joe to get.

So, this. I get the desire for quality control, and for secrecy, but to axe a project because it leaks. Um, why? Also, I'm not surprised that Star Fox got a College Humour Claymation, a company that, for all its strengths, has never really done plot-centric material. Said it before, and I'll say it again, Nintendo has no idea what to do with the Star Fox IP, so pawning off the IP for something like this doesn't surprise me.

It's kind of funny that Brawlman brings up Sonic Prime, because it's an example of where Sega does what Nintendon't, and that's actually allowing its IPs to be licenced. Yeah, the Sonic games have been hit or miss, but I'd argue that the IP as a whole is all the better for allowing people to experiment with it. Nintendo would never allow an equivalent of Sonic Mania for example. Heck, they couldn't even abide AM2R.
I'm honestly shocked Nintendo hasn't tried to remake/remaster a lot of their older titles for the Switch, especially now that the Wii-U and the Wii are pretty much Kaput and the 3DS has now been discontinued. They put out a compilation of classic Mario titles(the 3D allstars collection) but most of the zelda titles are now restricted to dead or dying consoles and Metriod Prime is pretty much gone unless you still own a Wii.

Seriously Nintendo, this is your core IP we're talking about. Is it really this hard to keep it available on current platforms? Especially since you won't allow any crossplatforming.

I would legit buy OoT and MM for the Switch(especially since it was recently remastered) the moment it went on sale. Same with the Metroid games, other then the "Samus has post partum over a parasite" one.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm honestly shocked Nintendo hasn't tried to remake/remaster a lot of their older titles for the Switch, especially now that the Wii-U and the Wii are pretty much Kaput and the 3DS has now been discontinued. They put out a compilation of classic Mario titles(the 3D allstars collection) but most of the zelda titles are now restricted to dead or dying consoles and Metriod Prime is pretty much gone unless you still own a Wii.

Seriously Nintendo, this is your core IP we're talking about. Is it really this hard to keep it available on current platforms? Especially since you won't allow any crossplatforming.

I would legit buy OoT and MM for the Switch(especially since it was recently remastered) the moment it went on sale. Same with the Metroid games, other then the "Samus has post partum over a parasite" one.
I honestly have no idea what Nintendo is thinking a lot of the time. There's so many games of theirs that have never been ported or released on its e-shop. Furthermore, they've applied the idea of timed exclusives to such downloads. This year, I downloaded the first Fire Emblem game, solely because it would be removed from the shop in a month's time or whatnot. I hate myself for doing it, and I hate Nintendo for either being idiots, or being so greedy that they know, they KNOW, that people like me will fall hook, line, and sinker for it.

You can argue that Nintendo has no obligation to re-release its games, and yes, you're right. But I don't get why. They'd stand to make money from it after all, so if it's greed, it's not smart. If it's incompetence, it's incompetence. If it's a lack of manpower, then something's gone wrong in the world of Nintendo, and no, I don't mean Smash Brothers - another series that's stuck on its original consoles, with Nintendo being a dick about melee for...reasons.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I would guess it was less about leaks, and more about quality. The last thing they want is another Super Mario Brothers movie fiasco. They don't have any real pressing need for television shows or movies to come out using their IP, why not hold out for a very high quality product? Frankly I wish more IP holders were more discerning about products bearing their brands.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nintendo was probably having cold feet and looking for an excuse after leaks happened.