Lucario Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. 4

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It's cool to see another Pokemon veteran like Lucario come back, but I'm still holding out for Mewtwo. He should be considered since he's gotten two new forms in Pokemon X & Y. That alone should offer new moves and abilities for this rare Pokemon character. Also, if they bring back the Pokemon Trainer, should it be the one from Super Smash Bros Brawl with his three main Pokemon or one of the newer trainers from X & Y with their starter Pokemon?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I just hope we see a Pokemon from each generation at this point. It would be pretty lousy to get Pikachu, Jigglypuff, the same three starters, and Lucario again with maybe only one other newer Pokemon. I don't mind Lucario, but I remember Sakurai saying he was trying to trim the roster, yet at this rate there won't be many new characters. :/

I would love to see Meloetta as a representative of Gen V, she could easily work just like Zelda/Sheik with her form changes. Plus she's one of my favorites so that would be a dream come true!

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
YESSSS!

This is excellent. Lucario has always been my favorite, and I loved how he played in Brawl. I was worried that 'trimming the fat' would get rid of such a unique playstyle, and I'm glad that they didn't go that route.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Pretty cool to see him back but IDK I'd almost rather see some new characters never seen in a game before *cough* waluigi and Bowser Jr. *cough*

Also what happened to mewtwo? His new mega evolution's would be pretty sweet to see in The new smash bros.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Church185 said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Mewtwo is more prolific and I would have preferred it return, or Lucario get replaced with a different Pokemon. I understand why they did it, but if they don't work mega evolution into the game somehow, it's silly to bring him back.

Even then, it still could have been Mewtwo considering Mewtwo has two mega evolutions, a place in the most recent games (although not as much as Lucario) and a starring role in the most recent movie.
Mewtwo can come back as long as he plays more like Lucario (my main). I started playing Super Smash Bros with Brawl, and when my friends decided we should give Melee a try, I was stoked to see how well I did with Mewtwo (everyone told me he was basically the same). Mewtwo is incredibly slow compared to Lucario, his range is shorter, he loses the super useful counter, and he can't charge his projectile while falling. I realize people like Mewtwo for nostalgia and they think he is more important in that universe, but he was a terrible character in Melee. Like I said, he can replace Lucario as long as he gains some of his moves or is upgraded in some other manner. /rant
Yup mewtwo is far worse then lucario, in every aspect. Though I still prefer to play as mewtwo because the super smash bro games are more about having fun seeing your favourite characters beat each other up then they are about being competitive. If they introduced Malamar as a playable character I would play him no matter how crap he was, and considering how popular mewtwo is he kinda needs to return in the same way the pokemon trainer needs to return. It has nothing to do with competitive viablity but making brawl more of what it is. Now if they do bring bakc mewtwo he does need a complete moveset redesgin I would say something that makes use of his being an almost godly psychic being. Probably at least have the ability to float for a bit mid air (while being able move left and right). The moveset should probably include psystrike (his signature move). With his final smashing being at random one of his two megaforms. I say if they announce him it should be on feburary 6 which is meantioned in one of the games to be mewtwos birthday

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
nuba km said:
Yup mewtwo is far worse then lucario, in every aspect. Though I still prefer to play as mewtwo because the super smash bro games are more about having fun seeing your favourite characters beat each other up then they are about being competitive. If they introduced Malamar as a playable character I would play him no matter how crap he was, and considering how popular mewtwo is he kinda needs to return in the same way the pokemon trainer needs to return. It has nothing to do with competitive viablity but making brawl more of what it is. Now if they do bring bakc mewtwo he does need a complete moveset redesgin I would say something that makes use of his being an almost godly psychic being. Probably at least have the ability to float for a bit mid air (while being able move left and right). The moveset should probably include psystrike (his signature move). With his final smashing being at random one of his two megaforms. I say if they announce him it should be on feburary 6 which is meantioned in one of the games to be mewtwos birthday
I mean, I just play with friends, so it's not necessarily about being competitive. I wouldn't really care if Lucario was replaced by Mewtwo, but I don't want that moveset to be useless again. I was the only person who really mastered it out of my friends because it was too floaty for them. Would really discourage me from buying future SSB games to learn that my main took a huge step back in playability.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'm fine with this. I liked Lucario, specifically the whole "does more damage the more damage you take" thing. Really helpful for turning things around.
Now all they need is to reveal Chrom or Lucina, and I will be happy.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Aww, I wanted Hawlucha to be in it.

Flying luchadore pokemon a-go-go!

From the 5th gen... Bisharp. Easily Bisharp. So freaking cool.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Have they annouced the fire emblem charators? Just give us Chrom instead of marth plz

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I never cared for any of the Pokemon in general but I liked Lucario more than Mewtwo or Pikachu. I look forward to Mega-Evolving once I'm able to unlock it!

So; next month is a Donkey Kong release so let's brace ourselves for the reveal of either Diddy, Dixie, Cranky Kong or (fingers crossed) King K. Rool.

Drejer43 said:
Have they annouced the fire emblem charators? Just give us Chrom instead of marth plz
I'm not against Marth...but I'd rather see Awakening's Marth than the one we've had in the last few Smash games. Chrom all the way though: Ike and Roy can sit this one out (no offense to their fans of course).

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Honestly, I was kinda hoping Zoroark might replace him if only because its signature ability[footnote]Illusion. Basically it looks like somebody else[/footnote] could be loads of fun. It could have been like the random button incarnate, you use a different random character for each life. But whatever, I know one of my friends will be pleased with this news. The guy used Lucario as his main in Brawl and he'll be happy enough to continue the trend in SB4.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I was always confused about why Lucario was in SSB... It just wasn't a prominent Pokemon for me (Unlike the Pikachu, Charizard and recently a Luxray from a Pokemon game I played not too long ago (Yes it was the only Pokemon I used for that entire game. Yes I only used it because Shinx is adorable as fuck))

But, it was a pretty fun and interesting character to use nonetheless. The "Berserk" style damage amplification could cause some interesting interactions (I.E. Being close to losing then doing like a bajillion damage and sending the opponent flying miles in a spectacular way)

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
newwiseman said:
The mega-evo could be the power attack, or the taunt. I'm just happy it's coming to 3ds since it means I won't have to buy a WiiU.

Headsprouter said:
I understand that they'd probably want to make use of a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution.
blaziken has a mega, and would be fun to play, but probably too close to captain falcon with fire punches...
Blaziken doesn't punch, all of his attacks revolve around kicks. Sorry, it's the obsessed 10 year old inside of me saying this.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I never cared for any of the Pokemon in general but I liked Lucario more than Mewtwo or Pikachu. I look forward to Mega-Evolving once I'm able to unlock it!

So; next month is a Donkey Kong release so let's brace ourselves for the reveal of either Diddy, Dixie, Cranky Kong or (fingers crossed) King K. Rool.

Drejer43 said:
I'm not against Marth...but I'd rather see Awakening's Marth than the one we've had in the last few Smash games. Chrom all the way though: Ike and Roy can sit this one out (no offense to their fans of course).
Awakening's Marth wasn't actually Marth. Just sayin. That being said, we DO need a Marth, unless we want to rotate the entire Fire Emblem cast every game. Also, I believe Marth is already confirmed anyway.

But I disagree with you on having Chrom in. He was kind of... I don't know, he just seemed really flat for a Lord. That's probably more due to the focus on MU being... as important as he/she/it/??? is, but still, Chrom really didn't have that much characterization, and just seems way too close to being another Marth. Lucina might be a nice character to have in, but my personal vote is for Owain. Not only would he have the best lines out of any character in Smash Bros (in addition to having the best lines out of any character in FE), but the whole tournament style of Smash Bros fits Owain's characterization perfectly.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Always good to have a Pokemon in SSB that isn't Pikachu and/or Jigglypuff.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Is lucario like... somehow significant in the pokemon world? Like is he in the anime a lot or something? I've admitedly been off the pokemon since before he existed and casually got back into it with the new one (which Ive played for maybe a few hours so maybe he shows up later)

I just remember mewtwo being cool because the whole first movie revolved around him
Not specifically, although admittedly the pokemon team has tried to make him that way: he's had his own movie, Riolu was a one-off hard-to-obtain egg in D/P, and in X/Y he's the face of Mega Evolution.

I think his appearance has more to do with the fandom's reaction to him in Brawl. He was a fun character to play, highly mobile and equally competent at long range, medium range, and melee range. While he was able to avoid attacks, he got stronger and faster the more damage he took, making him more and more dangerous. He had a unique style of play that was really fun.

Mewtwo, on the other hand, in Melee, was kind of a terrible character. Sure, there were those that mastered his moveset and abilities, and his power made those people quite dangerous, but even then he doesn't see any competitive play, and for very good reasons. He is both incredibly slow and incredibly floaty, meaning that he only has the disadvantages of both, and the advantages of neither. Keeping pace with more mobile characters (like Fox) is near impossible, and his light weight made him quite easy to fling off the stage. The only reason people really liked/played him was the fact taht he used to be THE "cool" pokemon and that nostalgia kicks in.

Sure they could make Mewtwo not suck, but again I feel that Lucario's unique style of play is enough to warrant his return in lieu of Mewtwo.