LucasArts Considering Multiple Payment Options for The Old Republic

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Pinstar said:
Free to play normally
A monthly subscription to play as a Jedi.

Discuss
Ha ha... I wish.

I'm expecting it to be a monthy sub sort of thing but if it's not it would come as a pleasant suprise. I've got pretty high hopes for this one so here's to hoping it's all it's cracked up to be.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Phenakist said:
I prefer a subscription free experience, it doesn't feel like you're playing to get your money's worth, you play because it's something you enjoy to do, and you don't feel like you "need" to play it because of that, and therefore enjoy the whole experience more. :)

I think a "cheap" subscription would be sensible for any MMO(if they want to have one), like £2.50 a month as apposed to £10 a month, I'm sure you'd find far far more people willing to subscribe, including myself.
The wording of the article isn't clear but it seems like they want it to be micro transaction based in Asia and other territories while being subscription based in the west.

I hope they make all payment options available worldwide though. I would much more willing to play the game if it was free with micro transactions.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I figured it wouldn't be free, long live Guild Wars! Although I will most likely at least try this game.

Zolrak 22

Sep 9, 2009
Personally I would prefer suscription over micro transactions, or free to play. For as much as I like free stuff, a free game ussually fails due to no income for more development(OR just becomes a game full of ads, would you imagine what ads would do to the star war's atmosphere <.<?). And micro-transactions ussually give unfair advantage to those that don't buy the newest equipment and etc.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I would certainly prefer it if it went the route of Guild Wars. I just don't like paying monthly subscriptions, because I start feeling like I have to play, and then I don't think I'm having as much fun as I could be.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
A monthly fee is very annoying. At $20.00 US a month, plus the initial cost of the game, adds up to some serious coin. Considering all the MMO's that are going to be flooding the PC gaming market soon. I can't see anyone playing more than one of them, if the game in question is that in depth in story as they claim.

Star Wars has global appeal and assuming five million people play at $20.00 each per month, last time I checked $100,000,000 is a lot of coin. I'd rather see a yearly renewal activation fee of $50.00 a year but of course, who am I kidding that won't happen. There will be more than ample amount of people willing to shell out $20.00 a month.

BioWare and LucasArts, buy stock!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
When I was at Pax the guy demoing the video for this said "Do you all want to see the video!" and the entire queue line shouted "NO!" and he said "Here it comes! Enjoy!"

I just loved how he expected everyone to be all bonering for it. All you got was a line full of people less than enthused (probably because they had already seen the video a million times).

I doubt it'll be anything to get excited about. First month will have huge subscriptions and then BAM most people will leave because its just Everquest with lightsabers.

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
I personally think EVE has the best payment model. Game and expansion(s) are free and you just pay the monthly subs. Sounds good to me, do any others do the same? Not that I know of...

Also, on a different note, is EVE the only MMO which has one world/server to host all players?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
There should not be monthly fees for console games, especially if its on a console that already charges for it's general online service. They should either charge more for the base game, have lots of little dlc's (gamers have proven they don't mind being overcharged for dlc although they might be the same suckers willing to pay multiple monthly fees), or have ads on the load as long as it doesn't extend the load time,

Honestly, I only know one person who plays WoW and she's a rich housewife.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Actually, I'm really looking forward to this and was hoping to enjoy it, but hell, I'm not sure if I can really justify a repayment of £10-15 every month for any game. I'm not exactly on a budget, I could afford this with no difficulties, but on a matter of principal I just can't bring myself to spend that much on one game.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Can we just pay for them to fix SW:G by deleting the NGE?

Galaxies was broke loooooooooooooong before NGE, what with bugs that were around since day one not being fixed two years later, the AWFUL jedi system and oh yeah, SOE's draconian tactics towards it's players(GM's teleporting players into space for protesting unfair bannings).

And I LIKED Galaxies....stuck with it for 2 years, unlocked Jedi BEFORE the quest system and NGE....but god, never again I say. Never again.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
I am fine with paying for my MMOs, so subscriptions would be the best option, IMO, because it keeps everyone on equal ground (more or less). I wouldn't like knowing that Korean players get to play for free while I'm forking over $15 a month though. It's sort of like the price of movies and music. In China, legitimate copies of movies and CDs are sold extremely cheaply to try and compete with the pirates. But we can't buy a $3 DVD/CD over here of the latest releases. With the way news travels globally, people are more aware of price differences and it's a way to make your customers feel screwed.

RockWhore said:
Also, on a different note, is EVE the only MMO which has one world/server to host all players?
Nope. There are others, a lot of them small games.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
I figured it wouldn't be free, long live Guild Wars! Although I will most likely at least try this game.
How can something that is already dead live long?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I'd like to say I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly hate Free2Play MMOs sure they can be decently fun given they are free, but pretty much 100% of the time the guy with the most money to spend on the game has the best gear.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
...LucasArts president Darrell Rodriguez...
You mean it's not George Lucas?? This game just started sounding a lot more fun.

EDIT: Whoops, double posted. Thought someone would have posted by now.