Lucasarts Games that Deserve Another Shot

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
In addition: Any adventure game LA made that was half-decent, Rogue Squadron, Battlefront (I'll even take First Assault with buggy gameplay because it never got a proper beta at this point), KotOR (a real KotOR 3 is needed), and honestly... could we get a Force Unleashed that isn't about Starkiller? I mean, the original concept art showed dark/gray Jedi and all sorts of non-standard adventures and possibilities, an entire party of allies fighting alongside the protagonist, and we all know by now that there's that cut multiplayer still on-disc for the first game that should have been included (it even had game modes from Jedi Knight II/III).

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
PIT DROIDS! I swear I was the only kid in my State who had ever played that game. I use to sit at the computer for hours trying to solve some of those problems. And when I couldn't solve the problems then I would make elaborate set-ups where the droids would run into each other in strange ways, because you know, science!

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
I wonder who owns Zack Mckracken? That's where my nostalgia lies, but I suppose the other series already mentioned have wider appeal.

Ah good old Rogue Squadron, damn I remember some good times with that game, if Disney cares at all about any of this ip they're sitting on, a star wars flight sim damn well better be at the top of their list. I'd definitely like something new to scrub Rogue Leader and its crappy third-person shooter bits out of my brain.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Indiana Jones? There were some great ones such as the Atlantis one. And its a license that will not otherwise be utilized.

Battlefront? We must have more!

forlornhope22

Feb 18, 2013
I will never stop advocating for another Tie fighter. Give me a game where huge capital ships pound each other with broadsides while you're flying around in a comically under-powered and flimsy mook mobile desperately hoping a stray laser blast doesn't cut your unshielded ship in two.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
I want new versions of "The Eidolon" and "Koronis Rift" as well as a Sequel to "Grim Fandango".
You shouldn´t treat Lucas Arts as if the alway had been just a Star Wars Company.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I never played The Eidolon, but I love the name.

Also... Shamus, you kinda started talking about "Pit Driods" there and never recovered. Ah, copy and paste I love you.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
For me, Dark Forces II was Lucas Art's finest. I still have it here somewhere. It contained one of the most bad-ass levels EVER, which was literally the crashing of the Sulon Star. The whole thing was chaos, like a mansion, twirling through the air, falling through windows and doors, running on the ceiling; all the while fighting enemies who were also imperiled.

I want the foot-based onslaught of Dark Forces II, combined with some occasional fast-paced Mech city rampages from Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (Monolith).

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
Firstly, Battlefront 3 is something I require greatly, and a new Jedi Knight game would be GREAT - Jedi Academy was really well done, and even had surprisingly fun multiplayer, and I'd love to see where they'd take Kyle Katarn and Jaden in a new game.

But my all time favorite LucasArts Game That Nobody Ever Remembers?

MORTIMER AND THE RIDDLE OF THE MEDALLION.

It was this on-rails educational shooter where you piloted a giant freakin' snail who flew around various environments and you used his slime to shoot animals that had all been turned to stone by the evil Lazlo, punctuated by "boss fights" that were really well done animal quizzes with fun songs. The tagline of the game was "Fly The Slimy Skies". And it was GREAT.

Making good educational games that are still educational but also fun is exceedingly difficult, and Mortimer (along with the Magic School Bus series) was the best there was. Jump Start was good, but the minigames became repetitive, and the Math Blaster franchise only really picked up in gameplay variety until right before it was terminated. And of course there are all the uniformly excellent MECC games, but that's a different story.

Point is, a reboot of Mortimer with more environments/stages, greater diversity of animals, and more cheesy but great songs would be amazing. While I'm dreaming, can we have a new Number Munchers game?

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Oh good god we need a Republic Commando sequel. Even by our standards now its a fantastic campaign to play.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Dude Republic Commando SUCKED, make BattleFront 3.....

Also Jedi Knight was awesome, Jedi Knight 2 less so and JA was okay at best.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
What about Afterlife? That was LucasArts, wasn't it? SimCity style where you build up heaven and hell. I never got a chance to play it but it looked like a lot of fun.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
How about some Gladius 2? I loved the idea of a tactical gladiator combat game, and while flawed Gladius was a great starting point for a series.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
I´m going with a hipster reply and say Star Wars: Starfighter. It was an arcade-y flight action game, and it was ace.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Bobic said:
Republic Commando was extra deserving of a sequel for one important reason, we were about to get to shoot all the Jedi in their stupid smug faces. The plot of the game ends about halfway through Revenge of the Sith, just before the order comes down the chain to gun down all the jedi. Now that has the potential to be a pretty darn snazzy sequel. . . Of course they'd probably ruin it by making you side with the Jedi or some other cop-out.
Actually, according to lore, after Order 66 went out and the war ended, any and all remaining Republic Commandos were transferred into Imperial Commandos for the purpose of hunting down remaining rogue and unaccounted Jedi. A good sequel to that could actually be replaying an earlier mission or two with the entire squad, redoing the Kashyyk level, and then going to hunt down Jedi. Especially given Yoda's orders to your squad at the end of that mission, I don't think anyone would hesitate in hunting down any Jedi they could get their hands on.

Aside from Republic Commando though, Battlefront would be my next pick for another Star Wars title. After that it would probably be remaking a Star Wars MMORPG like Galaxies. Why? Because Old Republic completely missed the mark. I want to have fighters and transports, and be able to fly around in space with a few friends as my crew doing whatever we damn well please.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
REPUBLIC COMMANDO!!!!
Shamus. I love your articles and Spoiler Warning, but I'm one of those people who'd post an angry comment if RC wasn't included.
I feel I should also add that the original left off on a very big cliff hanger that was leading up to Order 66--or whatever the "kill all the jedi" order was called.

OT:
Isn't Jedi Academy also included in the Dark Forces series? I remember that game was alright.

EDIT:
I don't want to be one of the people harping on Battlefront 3. I preferred RC, but I have spent many hours playing that series. I think with modern engines and hardware, it'd be easy to have full scale battles, like in the movies.