Lucasfilm Confirms: A New Indiana Jones is On The Horizon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lucasfilm Confirms: A New Indiana Jones is On The Horizon

Lucasfilm has confirmed a new Indy movie is on the table, but no work on it has yet begun.

Here's something that we all sort-of knew was going to happen, but now we have official confirmation: a new Indiana Jones film is on the horizon at Lucasfilm. Speaking with Vanity Fair [http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/indiana-jones-sequel-confirmed], Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy definitely sees Indy in the studio's future, but admits that no work has begun on it yet.

"[Another Indiana Jones movie] will one day be made inside this company," she said. "When it will happen, I'm not quite sure. We haven't started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it." Last year, Disney Chairman Alan Horn state that "We haven't done anything [to do with Indiana Jones] We don't have a story. We need a story."

We also heard that the franchise may be looking to Chris Pratt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133248-Rumor-Indiana-Jones-5-Might-Recast-Indy-Ditch-Harrison-Ford] to take up the fedora.

Source: Vanity Fair [http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/indiana-jones-sequel-confirmed]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ford is too old. (had to be said)

People were excited for the last Indiana Jones movie. Then we got aliens, hiding in a fridge, and Shyster LeBeouf.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
008Zulu said:
Yeah... if Jones doesn't get recast, what is this going to be, Indiana Jones and the Escape from the Retirement Home?

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Was that really much of a confirmation? Honestly from that quote they basically said "Yes, we do indeed still own the rights to our own franchises and will probably use them again someday."

As far as the prospect of a new movie goes I'm fine with it. I would not mind seeing a new take with a recast Indy, its not like the other movies are going anywhere.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Chris Pratt! Give that man a fridge

In serious newpfhahahahhhaha! Lucasfilm are going to see if stale milk sells to those with no taste buds.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
JoJo said:
008Zulu said:
Yeah... if Jones doesn't get recast, what is this going to be, Indiana Jones and the Escape from the Retirement Home?
The twist is that he IS the ancient artifact they've unearthed.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Unless Spielberg is involved I can't see this being very good. Also, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would be a much better choice for Indiana Jones than Chris Pratt. Dude is in his forties, like Jones is supposed to be.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I really don't know about this. Crystal Skull was -1 craic of a movie.

But I loved the other three.

So long as Lucas has nothing to do with it I suppose.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
"We don't have a story, we need a story."

I...errr. Umm...Isn't that the reason for wanting to do another Indiana Jones film? If you have a story you want to tell?
Announcing the future presence of a film with a brand, yet not having a story just reeks of...i don't know, childish desperation? Maybe i'm looking at this all wrong. But it seems they are just waiting for a story to just fall in their lap. Better get writing, starry eyed scripty screen writers!

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think it's necessarily important that Indiana Jones be near-exactly like the character he was when Harrison Ford was in his 40s. I mean, the character is obviously going to change over time like anyone, the important question I guess being whether or not that would be a story worth telling/seeing.

And IMO... I think it could be.

Part of the problem with IV (a relatively small problem, most likely, all things considered with that movie...) may have been that it starred mid-60s Harrison Ford effectively playing a worse version of Indiana Jones from the original films.
i.e. The film was somewhat living in denial, still trying to keep the character more or less the same (hell, is it that realistic that his clothes/style would stay pretty much the exact same after 25 years?) with the result being that 65 year old Indiana Jones is not as good at being 45 year old Indiana Jones as 45 year old Indiana Jones was.
That may even be why Mutt Williams had to get involved so much; because you're not going to have Indiana Jones swinging through the jungle like that at his age. You change the expectations a bit and don't go in with an all-or-nothing mentality of "Indiana Jones must be like he was 30 years ago or it's terrible", and maybe then we don't even need jungle vines, or CGI monkeys, OR Mutt Williams ;).

So why not change it up a bit? Make Indiana Jones a bit more tired, a bit less active, a bit more bitter/disillusioned/reflective maybe and willing to just shoot people like in Raiders with the sword because he just can't be bothered as much anymore. Examine a few different facets of the character, while still keeping it interesting and familiar. Yes that would be hard, but I expect that's the idea when you're intending to make a good film or a good anything.

Just seems to me that the character of Indiana Jones isn't necessarily about being believable in a fistfight, or constantly swinging on a whip, or doing very physically demanding stuff like that all the time. Besides, we've already seen that. You take those away and you still have the story, you still have the personality of the character, and you give yourself more opportunity to expand into new directions.

i.e. Maybe they should be somewhat brave and make rather controversial changes? Give him a new look that's updated but still in keeping with the same spirit and functionality. Suggest that Indiana Jones is more than just the image of 1 exact hat, 1 exact jacket and a whip. That he could survive the change in fashion, change his appearance, change a lot about how he goes about things, but still remain essentially the same Indiana Jones at heart.

I dunno, I think it could work. But I do think it's a fool's game to try to compete with the original films when they'll never be the same and they could be pursuing something more original instead.
Still, that might involve risk! :O

Oh and if they're dead set on recasting, then maybe Tom Selleck still has a chance! :D

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
JoJo said:
008Zulu said:
Now, while I would fear an Indiana Jones movie being a comedy, this still sounds like a better idea then....aliens.
I'm still trying to figure out why aliens, and who the idiot was that came to the idea that that was what needed to be in an Indiana Jones movie.

I was expecting another cult.
First movie was relic
Second movie was cult
Third movie was relic
fourth movie was...aliens?!

See...it doesn't make sense. Even if they couldn't think up a cult, there are plenty of mythological items(relics) mentioned in old books that they could have thrown a dart at and run with.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
008Zulu said:
Ford is too old.
I'd rather take Fossil Ford than Loser Labeef...

Wonder if this'll be a recast. If so, hopefully the rumours of Chris Pratt taking the role prove to be true.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I am wiling to forgive them ONLY if the upcoming film stayed to being mystical/ fantasy and NOT Sci Fi, not so CGI heavy (bonus point if they went back to prop sets) and Ford is recast (he is getting old you know).

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Is Chris Pratt going to be the go-to guy for every reboot/recast/reimagining that gets made? Not complaining, just wondering if you aren't overworking the man. Then again, Star Lord would be geeking out over the whole thing and that makes it ok.

I do hope they keep it more fantasy artefacts and treasure hunting adventures, not aliens and mind control aaahhh!!!

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Personally, I'm cool with Chris Pratt or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau taking over as Indy. I'm not crazy about the fourth film's intention of having Indy's son (Lebeouf) taking over the franchise. Sorry, but no. I've had three screamfest Transformers movies with that guy in it, and I'm kind of sick of seeing him in films now.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, now that George Lucas isn't making it, maybe it will end up better than The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

First let's see how the new Star Wars movies end up.