Lucasfilm Files Star Wars: First Assault Trademark

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lucasfilm Files Star Wars: First Assault Trademark

Lucasfilm appears to be building up to some new Star Wars shenanigans.

Last week, Lucasfilm, the parent company of videogame studio LucasArts, quietly registered a pile of domain names related to something called Star Wars: First Assault. The names, which included three variations of the title across the .COM, .NET, .DE and .CO.UK domains, were actually filed by the Corporation Service Company, an "internet brand protection agency" of which Lucasfilm is apparently a well-known client.

It was all done on the relative down-low, but today it's come to light that Lucasfilm has also filed a couple of trademarks for the same thing, one for First Assault and one for Star Wars: First Assault. The filings are for "Interactive entertainment software and accompanying instruction manuals sold as a unit," in a great many varieties including computer, console, downloadable and mobile-based games. As you'd expect from a Lucas product, the filings also cover books, toys, pencil cases, sticker albums, non-electronic personal planners and a plethora of other products upon which the Star Wars name may be plastered.

Lucasarts has thus far said nothing about what First Assault may be: It might be a shooter set in the Old Republic, or perhaps it's a turn-based grand strategy game based on the Battle of Naboo. What it isn't, alas, is TIE Fighter 2, and so while I'll admit to a certain natural curiosity about the whole thing, I'm afraid the Palpatine pinatas and spiked Dookoolaid will have to wait for another day.

Source: Fusible [http://fusible.com/2012/08/star-wars-first-assault-trademarks-filed-for-interactive-video-games-and-more/]

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Oh this better be a new Battlefront game. Good god, how happy I will be if this is a new Battlefront...

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Is it too much too hope that this would just be Star Wars: Battlefront 3 only with a different name? Unfortunately, this would be unlikely as Pandemic the studio which developed Battlefront 2 was butchered by EA. So yeah, thanks EA.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Sounds like something the could go with Republic Commando. The name fits there perfectly "Republic Commando: First Assault". That said I guess the first game was the first assault...So maybe never mind.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Baldry said:
Sounds like something the could go with Republic Commando. The name fits there perfectly "Republic Commando: First Assault". That said I guess the first game was the first assault...So maybe never mind.
How about Imperial Commando: First Assault?

Damn, that would be awesome!

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Konaerix said:
Baldry said:
How about Imperial Commando: First Assault?

Damn, that would be awesome!
Also I was thinking about it, it could be their first assault, considering at the end of the first one you see a big ass fleet preparing, so maybe the first game wasn't an assault, it was more covert so this is their first assault...My God I hope I'm right, I feel numb with anticipation.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Argh! How can a screenshot from an old DOS Game make me suddenly excited about Star Wars? It really ought to be TIE Fighter 2. Failing that, why was there never a Star Wars game about smuggling spice, bribing Imperial officials, stealing stuff, and bounty hunting? You'd think people would love that.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Lucas. You are worth over 3 billion now. 3 BILLION! Give it a rest dude. Unless it is battlefrount 3 then go for it. But if not just leave Star Wars alone. Please. For all that is good and pure in the world just give it a rest. 3 BILLION!!!!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It's prolly that bounty hunter game with the numbered name. The name of numbers interests me but then again, I'm a hopeless Star Wars fan.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Fuck Tie Fighter 2, where's Republic Commando's sequel? I mean c'mon LucasArts, you can't leave a game on a cliffhanger like that!

Or even Battlefront 3 would be amazing if they brought Pandemic back to life.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Please be a TIE Fighter or X-Wing sequel.

Come on Lucasarts, is that so much to ask for? It's already been 18 years, for crying out loud.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Baldry said:
As much as people (including myself) slobber over Battlefront 3, Republic Commando was an absolutely amazing game. So much love for it.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
crazyrabbits said:
First thing I thought of was "Rebel Assault sequel?"
I was more thinking a Rebel Assault prequel. But I can't imagine there still be being much of a market for on-rail shooters that aren't called Star Fox.