LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
This calls for another viewing of the Red Letter Media reviews. Literally the only way to watch the original trilogy is to either pirate it or find the one DVD set that has the unaltered films as a bonus feature. The only way someone is going to be able to stop this is when Lucas finally croaks.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I think Lucas is a genius. Here are some of his best ideas:
1. The Ewoks in the "Return of the Jedi" movie were awesome. Just what the series had missed. A light touch used to bring hope in this dark epic tale. And look just how superb they fit in, without a care in a world with light sabers and dark forces that blow up planets.
2. The superb new special effects which have brought the first 3 episodes (i mean 4,5,6) to the 21 century. The new backgrounds were a must and I can't even begin to praise the new aliens inside the bar, goofing around and making weird noises. And what a great idea to let the audience know that those were computer made special effects, by making them blend so poorly on the original shots.
3. Who can forget Jar Jar? The best character in Star Wars. He sits proudly as a character which has received more screen time than that so much less important Darth Vader.
4. Casting Hayden Christensen as the young Anakin, this superb actor who really made the script shine, by making Darth Vader look like a whinny prick, which we can all agree, is just how he should've been in the original episodes, instead of being portrayed by that weird James Earl dude who made him look too serious and cool for a bad guy.

*** in case you haven't already realized that this was sarcasm, than your name is George Lucas ***

Daniel Charlton

Feb 24, 2010
Come on guys, all he has done is added two words to the movie. If you are that bothered just don't buy the Blu rays or just put your TV on mute for two seconds.

Remember he did create star wars in the first place and he is entitled to change what ever he wants when he wants, so just stop complaining, or just watch the originals

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
See Movie Bob's recent video about this. I watched the video....it's barely worth raising an eyebrow at, let alone exploding in fan rage. That said, the scene still works better with Vader silent...oh well.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Star Wars movies I like: The original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy.

Star Wars movies I don't like: Anything and everything after that, including re-releases.

George Lucas says "movies are never complete, only abandoned." No, my film instructors disagree. They taught me "a movie is finished when the deadline hits or the money runs out."

This can't HONESTLY be the "vision" of Star Wars George had when he made the films. Maybe some of the effects weren't to his liking, but I doubt when the dramatic Vader redemption moment came he was going "you know what? 30 years from now, when I get the money, I'll have him scream "noooo" in a cheesy, melodramatic way as he tosses Palpatine to his death. Yeah... that's what I'll do."

Sometimes, I wonder what kind of a director George Lucas might have been if he had had the balls to create and direct a movie that wasn't Star Wars after the initial trilogy. You don't see Steven Spielberg going "I'm going to do 7 E.T. movies... and nothing else!" What a waste of talent and imagination... and it's bred nothing but stagnation and frustration for the franchise and its fans.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
You don't see his genious? He releases this version, still gets a billion people to buy it. Then releases the original cut as a special edition and gets a billion people to buy it. If he did it backwards, people would never buy the new version.

oblivion328

Jun 12, 2010
Hitchmeister said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
What's next? You add Jar Jar Binks to the cantina scene, or re-record Alec Guinness's dialogue in Star Wars to include midi-chlorians?
DON'T GIVE HIM IDEA'S!!!
I'll give him an idea. Have Hayden Christiansen dub over all of James Earl Jones' dialog in Episodes 4 through 6. Wouldn't that be great?

Sure, we laugh now, but we'll be crying when Lucas decides this is a good idea.
You know what? At this point they're already ruined, so what does it really matter? In fact, I actually want to see just how much more he can fuck up these films. Bring it on, Lucas.

Trishbot said:
Sometimes, I wonder what kind of a director George Lucas might have been if he had had the balls to create and direct a movie that wasn't Star Wars after the initial trilogy.
He has created other movies since Star Wars. Lucas conceived the idea for Indiana Jones and the lesser known Willow.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
If there were an actor for that NOOOOOOOO or whatever other new lines Vader may have, I can picture one with actual integrity reading that part, dropping the script, looking Lucas in the eye, and saying "I find your lack of talent disturbing." before walking out of there forever.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Thank god I still have the original VHS collection, before George Lucas got it into his head to ruin his own work.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
They already have been discontinued as far as I can tell. They're still in stock some places, but 20th Century Fox has stopped distributing them.
Yep, that's pretty much the norm. Honestly, its this aspect of the Star Wars "updates" that bothers me the most. I wouldn't have nearly as much of an issue with him meddling with a classic...IF he included in the original versions too. But no, Lucas always tries to actively destroy the older versions of Star Wars, and leave nothing but his "updated" versions.

Honestly, I think it says bad things about his self-confidence, and the faith he has in his work to stand the test of time. Its kind of sad to see someone create one of the most classic movie trilogies of all time...and then tweak it, one piece at a time over the decades, in ways that are either unnecissary or just plain distracting (the new CGI in the original trilogies, for example).

No piece of art, literature or cinema...be it amateur or professional is ever, or can ever, be "perfect". Part if the creative process is knowing when something is done, when its as good as its going to be, and letting it stand on its own merits.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
Star Wars isn't that great to begin with, but, besides that flame inducing opinion of mine... I want to make one point that should really really REALLY be in the forefront of your minds

YOU SUPPORT THE CHANGES WHEN YOU BUY HIS SHIT.

Star Wars fans ***** and moan about all of this, then BUY THEM ALL ANYWAYS.

SO while you all are on the internet complaining, he's cashing those HUGE checks.

No disrespect meant, just sayin.

P.S. at this point he has enough money that even if the blu-ray sales tank he still gets a cut of all the other shit you people are buying. So the only way to combat this is stop buying ANYTHING star wars branded that's licensed by lucasfilms.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
If I could teporarily posses George Lucas, as him I would give over all of Star Wars over to Bioware; they are the only people I could trust to handle Star Wars and keep it good.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Totally calling now: new internet meme - dramatic moments of movies with "NOOOOOOO!" plastered all over it...

Quick, someone get Downfall Hitler on to this!

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
mchoueiri said:
This is bitching just to *****.
This is posting just to post.

What you and a minority seem to be failing to understand is that for fans of the films, this is the latest addition in a series of additions that only serve to remove dramatic tension and character development from the original films, you know, the ones we grew up watching? It's not just "changing a detail", it's changing the entire meaning of a climatic scene, and thus contributing with yet another crack on the ship's hull, yet another step in the direction of believing that the movies we cared about were no more than happy accidents, a result of fortunate coincidences and budget limitations.

If you don't give a shit, don't post. Personally, as an 8-year old, I'd gather my two best friends every Friday after school and we'd watch one of the original trilogy on VHS, every Friday, without fail. So I care when I see it butchered and removed piece by piece from what made it so good. It's part of our youth, what we saw as cinematic perfection. And now we're being told it was all an accident and it's getting "fixed" to match Lucas' original vision... and it blows.

oblivion328

Jun 12, 2010
coolkirb said:
people over reacting much? You dont have to buy the damn thing.
You see, the problem is that I do want them to give the original unaltered movies a proper re-release on a more current format. I do want to be able to actually watch the damn things and not just have fond memories of them. But, as I've said, Lucas seems to be intentionally denying us this. If he made all versions of the movies easily available to us, I would agree with you.