Luigi Actor Danny Wells Dies

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Luigi Actor Danny Wells Dies

Actor Danny Wells, who was immortalized as Luigi on The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, passed away last week.

Nintendo's Year of Luigi [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDeRWjG-uI] has taken a depressing turn. Danny Wells, the actor who portrayed Luigi on The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, passed away last week in his Ontario home.

Wells' career spanned more than four decades and included programs like The Jeffersons, Starsky & Hutch, Sanford and Son, and The A-Team. Plus, as a voice actor, he appeared in a seemingly endless list of cartoons and videogames. However, for most gamers, he'll always be the face of Luigi.

In a recent interview with Slam [http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2013/01/11/pf-20638881.html], Wells reminisced about the sudden popularity of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!:

"We went on the air, three o'clock in the afternoon, with no publicity or P.R. at all. There was no pre-build-up to this show, nothing," he said. "They just threw us out there. In three weeks, we became number one. We beat Disney, we beat everybody, without any publicity, without any help from anybody, this show went to the number one daytime cartoon show. They put us up against Mickey Mouse, it didn't matter, we beat them. It was amazing."

Despite the show's popularity, Nintendo pulled the plug after just one year. However, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! has become one of the most iconic programs of the 1980s.

Wells was 72 when he died. He will be missed.

Source: The Gazette [http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/montrealgazette/obituary.aspx?n=jack-westelman&pid=168317547]

Nov 28, 2007
Well, there goes BOTH of the stars of this show. That's a shame. I don't know Danny Wells from anything else, so that's all I can use for comparison. Still, at least Luigi outlasted Mario!

...I apologize for anyone offended by that statement.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Tails and Luigi dying back to back is kind of uncanny, its like there is a conspiracy to eliminate side kicks. The just watched some old Sonic for remeberence maybe I'll have watch some Mario two.

Nov 28, 2007
drisky said:
Tails and Luigi dying back to back is kind of uncanny, its like there is a conspiracy to eliminate side kicks. The just watched some old Sonic for remeberence maybe I'll have watch some Mario two.
Wait, Tails died?! *looks it up* Damn it, Death, stop messing with my childhood!

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
You have to admit, there was NO one who would pull off Luigi like that guy.
Personally, I know it would be a Copyright NIGHTMARE, but wouldn't it be great if we could get DLC that allowed us to get costumes based off actors like Danny Wells? Think Bad Box Art Megaman.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
WHY IS EVERYONE DYING ALL OF A SUDDEN!? Jesus Christ reality, stop reminding me of the frailty of the human race.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
drisky said:
That was my first thought too.

It just goes to show that the console war of the 80's and 90's isn't over, and just like the Cold War, it's still being fought in secret and is still claiming victims on both sides.

It may only be the sidekicks today, but mark my words, in a few weeks from now Jaleel White will be stricken down by mysterious radiation poisoning and Charles Martinet will disappear to secret fortified compound in somewhere in the mountains... but not before releasing a grainy video proclaiming death to Sega and saying that Captain Lou Albano has been avenged.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Jesus. Tails AND Luigi both died within the same week?

Hope everything's alright with Jaleel White...

R.I.P to both of them.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ouch. Both him and the voice actor for Tails in the same week. That's just harsh. I loved the Super Show and now both it's stars are gone. RIP guys, RIP.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Rest in Peace Mr. Wells.

I hope your family take comfort in that one of your roles will always be remembered as an endearing childhood icon.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Hold on the guy who played Luigi died and now the Voice actor died who played Tails in the cartoon.
I smell serial killer.

But in all seriousness never fun to hear someone passing.