Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Trailer Shines Light on Multiplayer

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Trailer Shines Light on Multiplayer

Up to four players can bust ghosts together in the sequel to Luigi's Mansion.

With Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon only a month away, Nintendo has shed some light on the 3DS title's gameplay modes. Calling it "a series first," the publisher has announced that Dark Moon will have local and online multiplayer modes, though the accompanying press release and trailer only detail one of these modes. In Hunter Mode, up to four players can team up to clear the haunted ScareScraper, which is "jam-packed with paranormal creatures."

The video shows of the series' trademark flashlight-shining, vacuum-wielding gameplay, only now you don't have to go it alone. The four Luigis must work together to hunt down ghosts in the ScareScraper, clearing the building floor by floor against a ticking clock. Adjustable difficulty and number of floors allow players to scale the gameplay to their level of experience.

It's been over a decade since Luigi's Mansion launched alongside the GameCube, and even though Luigi never got as much recognition as his brother, the game has become a cult classic in that time. Though it's not quite the same, Nintendo Land's multiplayer take on Luigi's Mansion is pretty fun, so hopefully Nintendo can repeat that success with Dark Moon. The sequel will be available for the 3DS on March 24.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I can't wait for this game to come out. I actually just repurchased a copy of Luigi's Mansion since I'm gonna LP it to commemorate this game. Heck if I get my 3DS modified in time I'll do this game too. ^.^

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
All my life I've sat on the sidelines:
Mario's the better brother
Mario's the better player
WELL GUESS WHAT?
i'm the better fucking Ghostbuster!
Who told yout hat?

I'm almost done playing Super Luigi Land 3D... I always thought Luigi was the star...

OT: I can't wait for this game, I love Luigi's Mansion, such a unique piece game. Really sucked me into it, nothing like busting boos.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I saw a new Luigi's mansion and got excited because I've been plannin to get a WiiU. I can imagine tons of cute and actually useful uses for the extra screen on that game.

Then I saw for 3DS and sighed because I still haven't gotten one. Le sigh.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
LU-I-GI! LU-I-GI! LU-I-GI!

Perplexing use of Rainbow Luigis aside, the multiplayer looks interesting. Here's hoping it's single-card download play!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
For those who don't know, the multiplayer has randomly generated floors with random ghost spawns, bosses... it's more about getting the ghosts than puzzles.