Lulu: The Lou Reed/Metallica Collaboration

Lambda Beta

Mar 15, 2011
I had a feeling that Lulu was going to be one strange experience, and listening to the album in its entirety has confirmed my suspicions. Most of the reactions towards this album were very negative to say the least. Maybe I'm just strange but I think that Lulu isn't that bad of an album. It's a very strange album that's difficult to listen to but I ended up enjoying quite a few of the songs and the overall experimental nature of the album is worthy of some praise. Lulu is by no means perfect and it's clearly not for everyone but I think that it's worth a shot considering both Metallica and Lou Reed have had careers where evolution in music is very evident.

I don't expect much consensus anywhere if I get any but I figured I might as well support the minority in this case

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
That song "The view" put me off the album. It was terribad. Don't know if I want to listen to the full album.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
The thing is many expected it(and judge it)as a music album which is not by all means. The simpler way to put it might be that it's a story with small music breaks.Definetly not for everybody,not because pretentious by all means,just a different take on literature and music in a media which today speeds so much in very bad both literature and music.

Just my take on LuLu,but I actually followed the development of this album and knew what I was buying and getting into.

Nov 7, 2009
It's Metallica vomiting blood on their already thoroughly-stained reputation. It sounds like a half-asleep band playing recycled jam-room riffs while an old man with Alzheimer's and a priapism reads his diary into a mic.

So yeah. It sucks. It's worse than the Morbid Angel album. And THAT'S hard for me to say.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Iron Maiden to enjoy.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
That demo song they put out, I can't even remember it's name, was pretty damn terrible.The repetitive guitar, drums and the godawful old-man voice. Seriously, Metallica lost their credibility a while ago, seems like it's spreading to their music even.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
The album is an abomination to music.

I love Metallica but they need to stop making such bad decisions and just realise when stuff sucks. They're called 'Metallica' yet I haven't heard anything from them that suggests they are a metal band or a band with that reputation.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Jesus, this stuff is awful. Awful.

When i listened to it, I just got the impression that these were some guys who really hated their fans.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Given that the song they put out 'The View' was quite frankly horribafuckus, I haven't pursued anything to do with the album since. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but if that is the song which you put forward to convince people to buy your album, then that doesn't exactly inspire high hopes for the rest of the tracks.

Sepphyre

Mar 3, 2011
I can't understand why people still give Metallica any attention. Honestly. When you look at what Metallica has done over the last 10 years vs bands like Megadeth, it's just incomprehensible how they manage to still get #1 selling albums.

Maybe the same people who buy Apple products also buy Metallica albums.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
Sepphyre said:
I can't understand why people still give Metallica any attention. Honestly. When you look at what Metallica has done over the last 10 years vs bands like Megadeth, it's just incomprehensible how they manage to still get #1 selling albums.

Metallica still kick a lot of ass live, but they'll never be able to release another Kill 'em All or Ride the Lightening. Overall i'd agree that Megadeth are better, Endgame was far superior to Death Magnetic. But let's not kick off another Metallica vs Megadeth discussion.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Speaking as more of a Lou Reed fan than a Metallica fan what I've heard is decent, but definitely neither artist's best work. I feel from what I've heard of the album it seems that Lou's influence on the music is more evident, but as good of his music has been Lou's singing voice is almost gone. Which I think is to the detriment of the song The View as I think if this was recorded in Lou's younger days it would a good song.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Unabletothinkofname said:
It's Metallica vomiting blood on their already thoroughly-stained reputation. It sounds like a half-asleep band playing recycled jam-room riffs while an old man with Alzheimer's and a priapism reads his diary into a mic.

So yeah. It sucks. It's worse than the Morbid Angel album. And THAT'S hard for me to say.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Iron Maiden to enjoy.
...You ninjas need to find a job. And to add a bit to the argument, if Metallica don't manage to lift their heads after this, then I'm officially calling it shotgun on their face. Their metaphorical face, obviously.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's just plain awful. There's not a single thing about the album that's good. It's like, St Anger level of bad. I can't say for the same for Lou Reed, but this is one of the worst things Metallica have ever done. It's a boring and poorly done as St Anger and as self-obsessed as S&M.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Ive only heard the View and some people say its the best song on the album... and if thats the case, Lulu may be one of the worst albums to be released.

I actually like the idea and the ambition but the execution is beyond horrible.

And the lyrics.. wtf?
Hard to believe Metallica once made great albums like Master of puppets.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
havent heard the full album, but the few songs I have havent impressed me.

THen again i was never really impressed by metallica when they're more famous songs and best selling albums were stolen.

Sepphyre

Mar 3, 2011
SICK0_ZER0 said:
Sepphyre said:

Metallica still kick a lot of ass live, but they'll never be able to release another Kill 'em All or Ride the Lightening. Overall i'd agree that Megadeth are better, Endgame was far superior to Death Magnetic. But let's not kick off another Metallica vs Megadeth discussion.
Sorry, I didn't intend to stir up a hornet's nest, even though it usually looks that way when you see both of those bands in the same sentence. Replace Megadeth with any long running band that still produces great music, like Iron Maiden or Blind Guardian.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I was never a Metallica fan, but I've been meaning to look into this just because of Lou Reed.

Such an odd collaboration.