Lulzsec is disbanding

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/26/brazen-hacker-group-lulzsec-says-its-disbanding/
http://pastebin.com/1znEGmHa

After 50 days of mayhem, Lulzsec has announced that they are disbanding. They didn't really give a reason for doing so, but Lulzsec's report makes me think that this is what they planned to do since the beginning. Of course, it could always be some prank or publicity stunt. Oh well, looks like things on teh interwebz are going to return to normal for the most part. No giant hacker war for us (;_;)

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
well then...i will see this Lulzsec and Steal their Ship and Gather all their Top Hats,

For i am Lord JordanXlord, Wearer of Top Hats

the spud

May 2, 2011
I hate to rain on your parade, but didn't someone post a link about this a few hours ago?

OT: As entertaining as the spectacle of a giant hacker war promised to be, I am glad they quit.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Somethings fishy, this isn't good news, way too good to be true...

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Team Poison forcibly disbands lulzsec, world largely doesn't care.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
One of the links said they had ALL joined anti-sec now so basically they've just changed their name and will continue to widdle on the fortunes of internet users everywhere for some time.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I'm betting that someone got too close to them, and they panicked and now they're quitting in the hopes that they don't get caught. For all their boasting, leaked chat logs in the Guardian Newspaper revealed these folks to be hyper paranoid and worried about being caught. Ever since they targeted the FBI, they've been losing members left and right, who were worried about the potential backlash.

If they think they've escaped the FBI's attention by calling it quits, they're wrong. People are going to continue hunting the Lulzsec members. Hell, we don't even know if they've stopped.

Having said that, I wouldn't harshly punish these people. They've done a little bit of damage, yet they haven't killed anyone. If I had to sentence the Lulz crew, I'd give them.... 600 hours of community service. Maybe 5 months in a minimum security jail. I don't like Lulzsec, but they weren't cyber demons from the dimension of horror on the planes of malice and foreboding. They were a bunch of pranksters and vandals. I don't understand the mentality of those who call for them to be put in jail for life. We don't give a graffiti artist 10 years in jail for spraying a tag do we? Lulzsec were annoying, obnoxious and irritating, but they didn't really cause that much trouble. They weren't as fearsome as they wanted to appear.

But the FBI doesn't have a sense of humour. And they're not as nice as I am. If the FBI ever do catch these guys, they can expect long, long, loooooong jail terms. 5 years minimum. And eternal government surveillance.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Korolev said:
I read on his Twitter a few days ago that he'd leaked some info on Arizona police on to the internet. When told by a fellow on twitter that this could get potential undercover officers killed his response was "Yeah, its going to be awesome"... I think that's a whole lot worse than vandalism.

Also, no, we don't put graffiti artists away for 10 years... However given that they hacked into websites and stole personal information, logged on other people facebook account with that info and probably caused these people quite a lot of grief... I'm pretty sure that's identity theft.

Big difference between paining on a wall and stealing personal information and leaking it for the masses.