LulzSec Leader Outed As FBI Rat

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Silvianoshei said:
Lono Shrugged said:
This makes no sense to me.

Do you get how crime and punishment works?
Guess some people missed my point. I understand the whole, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" thing. I just think that it's distasteful to come out in public with the details of how you turned an informant. Public humiliation is not synonymous with justice.

I'm not saying that they can't turn people into informants by threatening to lock them up for their crimes. I'm saying it's not such a great thing to talk about how they broke someone using their family publicly.

Bottom line: if someone is willing to help you catch the bad guys in penance for their crimes, what exactly is the point of publicizing how you persuaded them, besides humiliating them?
Obviously he wasn't willing to help catch the bad guys, otherwise the FBI would not have had to use his kids as leverage.

While they may have made a deal with the guy, they still wanted to punish him for what he did. They couldn't lock him up for obvious reasons. Thus, they released his identity and told the truth about how they got him to turn.

Was it humiliated to Sabu? Yeah, and that's the point.

Punishment is suppose to be humiliating. It's why they put convicts in a dinky 8x10 cell. It's why convicts are constantly watched over by armed guards. What good is punishing someone for a crime if said punishment doesn't make them feel ashamed of themselves?

This is also the FBI saying, "Hey we aren't pulling any punches here."

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I were him I would lay very low for a while since I would assume the reamaining members want his guts now.
What are they going to do? Hack his computer?

Cipher1 said:
The internet might forgot about you but the FBI sure as hell don't.
I can't remember who said it, but law enforcement can be very very persistent if they want to be and they have a lot of resources at their disposal being backed by the US government and all.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
Blablahb said:
Easy accusation to make from the comfort of sitting behind a pc. Facing years in prison and a criminal record that would see him reduced to menial jobs for the rest of his life, it would probably be a different story.

Saw whatever you like, that guy is the man for choosing his kids over a few wankers who like to hack websites.
Wait, so I'm wrong? He isn't using his kids as a means to save his own ass? Because frankly, if he gave a shit about his family he would have thought of that before he started making stupid decisions.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ResonanceSD said:
Lol, I know, right?
And the 2 hour Facebook outage today? I'm wondering if you're just post count building now, because you haven't brought anything new to the discussion for 5 pages now. Just "lol'd" at everything.

Just to be clear, AnonOps' twitter account has denied responsibility for the Facebook outage. Twice.

https://twitter.com/#!/anonops/status/177309874726772736

https://twitter.com/#!/anonops/status/177312977245061120

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Regardless of how many more arrests are made because of Monsegur's cooperation, the FBI believes this spells the end of LulzSec. "This is devastating to the organization," another official said. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."
"I am certain that the Hydra is finished," Heracles said. "I have chopped off the creature's head."

Feb 13, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ResonanceSD said:
Lol, I know, right?
And the 2 hour Facebook outage today? I'm wondering if you're just post count building now, because you haven't brought anything new to the discussion for 5 pages now. Just "lol'd" at everything.

Just to be clear, AnonOps' twitter account has denied responsibility for the Facebook outage. Twice.

https://twitter.com/#!/anonops/status/177309874726772736

https://twitter.com/#!/anonops/status/177312977245061120
And then they've claimed it;

https://twitter.com/#!/YourAnonNews/status/177521375983042560

As well as strikes against the Vatican:

https://twitter.com/#!/YourAnonNews/status/177520880392478721

Remind me, you said

ResonanceSD said:
I like your attitude of "We'll rise up again!" etc. etc. /snore.
And they rose up again.

You also said
What makes you think the rest of anonymous is any different?
And they were.

Now, before you edit any of your other posts : Mind telling me what your point here actually is? Because your original one has been shattered.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Weren't they pretty much gone already?
This was hilarious to hear, but some of it came from Faux News, so it could always be twisted/exaggerated somehow. But if not, then +50 points for great, hilarious justice!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Silvianoshei said:
Andy Chalk said:
Monsegur, described by FoxNews.com [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/#ixzz1oLiLkGhI] as an "unemployed, 28-year-old father of two," apparently flipped on the group in order to avoid being separated from his children. "It was because of his kids. He didn't want to go away to prison and leave them," a law enforcement official said. "That's how we got him."
This is the only thing I don't like. Threatening to leave his children without a father or as orphans is a pretty terrible thing to do.

Also want to point out that his name is freaking awesome.
I am so glad I wasn't the only person unnerved by this.
Andy Chalk said:
Silvianoshei said:
This is the only thing I don't like. Threatening to leave his children without a father or as orphans is a pretty terrible thing to do.
If you can't do the time, etc.
No, I'm sorry Andy. Yes, I'm glad that they caught a bunch of hackers who were doing harm, don't get me wrong on that part. By all means, if you do the crime, you should be ready for what's coming if you get caught. What I don't like though, is how the "good guys" in this scenario are basically bragging about using children as leverage. You can't tell me that isn't at least a little unsettling how the official worded it in a way that makes it sound like he was looking forward to ruining these kids' lives over it.

By all means, I don't think having kids should absolve one from any crimes he/she commits - if that were the case then every parent in the US would be robbing bank - but don't brag about threatening a man's kids. Something like that might make for a cool revenge story in a movie, hero on the edge threatens the bad guy's kid(s) to get what he's after, but this is real life, and those are real kids. Try to downplay that a little.

----

As for all the people complaining that "it sucks that the informant gets to go free", umm... big picture, people. He is NOT free. He just ratted on a huge group of which only a handful were caught. He just made a lot of enemies with invisible people who's specialty is finding you without being found. Hector is going to be a paranoid man for the rest of his life, for not only his sake, but for his kids'. He might be allowed to walk in a legal sense, but he certainly is NOT getting out of this easily.

Edit: Not saying that last bit because I necessarily want people to feel sorry for him. Just pointing out that he isn't just "going free". He's gonna have to watch his back for the rest of his life, and if the remaining members of Lulsec track him down, he's likely gonna get much worse than anything the feds would have done with him.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Pluvia said:
Yawn. "Not a group just an idea" is just another way of trying to deny responsibility for your actions, as this "idea" was created by a group of people who are afraid to show their face yet demand transparency.

When I protest I do it proudly. I show my face and show that I'm, and not my "idea", protesting against this. I don't need to resort to illegal means or fear, and I don't need to hide my face. Saying that I do because either A) I'm doing something illegal or B) (Tinfoil hat wearing delusions) is just ridiculous. Especially as people even compare Anonymous' first world problems to actual revolutions, which is just plain insulting.

Ideas don't attack people or hack things, people do.
of course it's people who do something to promote an idea.
it's not the idea of an increasingly suppressive state, for example, that beats up people who partake in peaceful demonstrations, it's the police (with full riot equip and batons in the worst case; Occupy, anyone?)
obvious statement is obvious.

Anonymous does not attack people though. and DDoS attacks are basically sit-ins.
not showing your face is not about pride or lack of it, it's for safety. just as you wouldn't walk into a situation where guns are or could be involved without a vest, if you work with the police for example. or not wear gloves when examining a patient when you could get in touch with infectious material.

I also agree that the increasing lack of freedom and transparency to the public and the news spreading (extreme) opinions instead of facts & neutral information, ARE problems (of the 1st world), though. for reference, Germany in the thirties. it was the lack of independeant information which made the entire thing the party did back then possible.

but who am i telling this

also: captcha, y u fail me? :(

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Doesn't he know that snitches get stitches? Just joking...well maybe not completely joking. There is something about snitching that just rubs me the wrong way. Its a loyalty thing, don't do the crime if your going to be a ***** and turn on your friends when you get found out. He new the dangers when going in, one of those dangers being orphaning his kids. So to play the "but I'm a father" card now is just a cowards way out.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
BrunDeign said:
You guys need to pick better titles for your articles. I mean come the hell on. Call him an FBI "Informant" not a fugging RAT. That's sounds very disrespectful to a man who had good intentions in doing what he did.
that's how news works, by selling itself

you'd get bored of clicking non-sensationalist news articles and news reporters would starve then they'd only be able to report on what a bad job they have because of lack of food and funds that would be very boring indeed

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Now this is truly delicious. Hopefully all the other script kiddies out there will learn from this and perhaps we can finally move away from this counterproductive, not to mention childish, "hactivist" trend.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
The Lugz said:
BrunDeign said:
You guys need to pick better titles for your articles. I mean come the hell on. Call him an FBI "Informant" not a fugging RAT. That's sounds very disrespectful to a man who had good intentions in doing what he did.
that's how news works, by selling itself

you'd get bored of clicking non-sensationalist news articles and news reporters would starve then they'd only be able to report on what a bad job they have because of lack of food and funds that would be very boring indeed
I don't go to game news sites for sensationalist news. I go there for game news. :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There really is only one proper reaction.

Seriously...

"Oooh! I want to go piss everyone off on the internet and make a BIIIG target out of myself! Nothing will go wrong here! Nothing at all! Because me and my hacker buddies are so invincible!"

[HEADING=1]LOL HA~HA!![/HEADING]

What a bunch of morons. I mean, did they really think that they had done anything, like real harm or REALLY thrown anybody off of their trail? Does anybody really think that they're above the call? No. When you make a big enough ass of yourself and everybody wants your head, THEY GET YOUR HEAD. And then, you suffer and everybody you know suffers unless you give them a juicey piece of meat to go after instead of you. Welcome to reality, which is nothing like television and the heroic vigilantes you might see therein.

I rest my frigging case on the matter.