LulzSec Leader Outed As FBI Rat

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I'm a bit reminded of the end of the whole Masters Of Deception/Legion Of Doom thing back in the day where there were accusations of there being rats in the groups. Wikipedia covers it if your interested in decades old hacker stuff.

That said, I very much doubt this will actually make that big of a differance. I suspect they are lionizing the bust to try and make it look like the goverment is doing something, largely due to high profile Anonymous activity and so many world class organizations, companies, and goverments being made to look like idiots.

I have no doubt these guys had some connection to some of the goings on, but I don't think this was any kind of house cleaning, because I don't think Anonymous really had that kind of a command structure to begin with, and if it was that easy comparitively speaking, they probably would have gotten them a long time ago after Anonymous laid siege fo Australia's govermental infrastructure after having told the country it was coming (Operation Titstorm if I remember).

In short, I think this, and other victories against Anonymous, have so far been a Dog and Pony show. To really "beat" such an organization we'd need to see mass arrests made, rather than a scant handfull of alleged "ringleaders".

It's also important to note that Lulzsec and Anonymous aren't nessicarly the same thing, they did kind of deny each other.

Despite how it might sound at times I'm not a huge fan of everything Anonymous does, largely because I do not believe they are hacktivists like they are promoted as. Their antics long before some of these recent behaviors are a matter of record... elemental chaos would be more how I would define them.

What actually irks me here is that where we are seeing some hackers busted in association, it's because of some of the better things the group has done. I find it darkly ironic to see these guys being arrested while companies like Sony have gotten away with stripping features from products without any accountability at all. I think it pretty much demonstrates the differance between rich criminals, and regular criminals, rich criminals can afford lawyers to make what they are doing legal.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Silvianoshei said:
Freezy_Breezy said:
"It was because of his kids..." a law enforcement official said. "That's how we got him."

Am I the only person who gets freaked out reading this?
No, you're not. I kinda did too, but then I got flamed. I'm not going to respond to people again, read my responses in the thread if you're keen.
You weren't flamed.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Hector Xavier Monsegur!? He shouldn't have been an internet troll he should have been a Bond villain!

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Andy Chalk said:
Regardless of how many more arrests are made because of Monsegur's cooperation, the FBI believes this spells the end of LulzSec. "This is devastating to the organization," another official said. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Good luck with that.

Now the real war will begin.
I beg to differ, if they managed to track down and stop LulzSec that fast and that easily, I bet that Anonymous and most popular hacker groups have been tracked down and penetrated by intelligence services.
On the other hand I think that wars and revolutions are fought in the physical world, not in the internet.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I feel bad for this guy... he's going to have Luzsec*, Annon, AND the corporations after him when this is over (assuming the FBI don't throw him in the slammer afterwards anyways...)

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Agent Larkin said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man this is a good story. I also want to point out that I called this back during the height of the Lulsec crap last year.
Hey, I think I remember that!