Luxuria Superbia Is An Oddly Compelling Journey "From the Sensual to the Spiritual"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Luxuria Superbia Is An Oddly Compelling Journey "From the Sensual to the Spiritual"

Luxuria Superbia, the new game from The Path and Bientôt l'été studio Tale of Tales, reminds me an awful lot of something, but I can't quite put my finger on what.

Tale of Tales is known for taking a very unconventional and experimental approach to game development, as seen in previous releases like The Endless Forest, The Graveyard, The Path and Bientôt l'été, some of which really stretch the definition of "game." Luxuria Superbia, a new project described by the studio as "a musical journey from the sensuous to the spiritual," is no exception.

The rules of play aren't terribly informative, and yet they tell you all you need to know about the game. It's really quite simple: Select a flower from the garden, then touch the buds to give it color. The more colorful the flower, the faster your score will increase. "Try to stay in a colored flower as long as possible," it explains. "Be careful not to tip over the edge too quickly. When bouncing, touch the buds rapidly for more joy... The color you give to a flower colors the garden too."

I really like Luxuria Superbia, even though I can't quite nail down why - vague shades of Tempest, perhaps? - but the truth is that I'm just not very good at it. Despite reading the rules I have no idea how it works, and it seems like the more I hammer on it, the worse I do. I eventually managed to muddle my way through the first level but I can only last for a few seconds into the second before it's all over, with nothing to show for my efforts but a stark "Oops" on the screen. I just do not understand what's going on here.

But boy, it sure does remind of me something. I wish I could figure out what.

If you want to try Luxuria Superbia for yourself, an online beta demo [http://luxuria-superbia.com/beta/] is now open to the public, while the full game is slated to launch on November 5.

Source: Luxuria Superbia [http://luxuria-superbia.com/]

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Despite reading the rules I have no idea how it works, and it seems like the more I hammer on it, the worse I do. I eventually managed to muddle my way through the first level but I can only last for a few seconds into the second before it's all over, with nothing to show for my efforts but a stark "Oops" on the screen. I just do not understand what's going on here.
Well there's your problem. You have to be gentle your first time. Save the "hard hammering" for the fifth or sixth level, after you've gotten more comfortable with the game: what it needs, what it wants, what it expects from you, etc., etc..

The internet is going to have a field day with this game.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
This. Shit. Is. Golden.

Tale of Tales have earned my respect with this, and Mr. Chalk has it as well.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh lawd. Andy, you're killing me inside.

Apparently, I'm better at this than I thought. :D

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
The game has a massive lag before it recognizes that I am clicking the mouse. Makes it totally impossible. I swear, this never happens to me with other games.

Still, awesome game.

Edit- Kinda figured out how to play it a bit better after trying a couple more times. This game is fucking amazing. It's like... something people compare really great things to... Disneyland?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
This game is just all kinds of awesome. I don't even know what I can say about it; I'm just extremely pleased. It just works so well. Just for the originality and grace with which it's been put together, I'd call this one of the best games that I've played all year.

Massive kudos to the devs who made this!

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I used a joystick to play this... it felt so right yet so wrong at the same time.

EDIT: Man, my right arm is knackered.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ragsnstitches said:
I used a joystick to play this... it felt so right yet so wrong at the same time.
Yes, the developers actually note that using a 360-style gamepad is the best way to play. I used a mouse and keyboard, which is probably why I was so bad at it.

(Honestly, this has never happened to me before. I'm good at videogames. God, I'm so embarrassed.)

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Yes, the developers actually note that using a 360-style gamepad is the best way to play. I used a mouse and keyboard, which is probably why I was so bad at it.

(Honestly, this has never happened to me before. I'm good at videogames. God, I'm so embarrassed.)
Due to the feedback on the stick, I was forced into a more delicate approach to the game. This had the affect of making me grasp the concept much faster and also doubling up on innuendo.

Fantastic little diversion though, very relaxing and "stimulating" all at once.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
This, umm... oh my.

The, err... it... yes. A very... interesting... umm...

Gosh.

[sub][sub]I did rush through the fourth level though; but come on, after three perfect levels in a row, I earned a rest![/sub][/sub]