Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Almost any fucking song by that band(?) Blood On The DanceFloor. That, my friends, is not even singing /or/ lyrics. That is horrible to the tenth degree. It shouldn't even fucking exist.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Actually, no. I didn't even bother to think about whether you were Christian OR pro-life. The fact is, my statement of irony is even more apt if your selective application here doesn't come from a place of "abortion=murder!!!!!!!!!"

I mean, you even say:

a bad argument is a bad argument wherever it lies.
But that was my point in the first place.
It just sounds like you're mad because I'm not being fake even-handed to the side you agree with. The fact is I can find pro-choicers more annoying than pro-lifers despite each side being equally idiotic, it's the delight of having opinions. As it goes I tend to find any side that happens to agree with me but runs around screaming "durrrrrrrrr" and beating a stockpot on their head with a ladle to be far more annoying than the other guys. The beauty of an idiot you disagree with is that you can call him an idiot, the pain of an idiot that agrees with you is that he makes you look like an idiot and you can't disprove his beliefs.

Also that isn't irony. it's called you not understanding the full basis of my selection criteria.

LittleThestral

May 29, 2012
game-lover said:
Maybe, just maybe the second paragraph needs the video for context. You know, because in the vid they're neighbors and BFFS. Who hang out a lot and can see each other through their respective bedroom windows so they sometimes communicate with words on poster boards they raise up so the other can see. But I'm pretty sure that's only figurative anyway.

But there's nothing creepy about the first part. And the third one? Where? HE'S the one driving to her house in the middle of the night. Not the other way around. It's not like she's showing up out of the blue. The guy that she's crazy about did that.
Which would be fine if it were a movie and not a song. The music video's based on the song, not the other way around.

The creepy stalkerness comes from Taylor acting and sounding like a Nice Girl (the vagina equivalent to the oft-bemoaned Nice Guys). "I've been here the whole time! I'M the one who knows EVERY LAST DETAIL about you! WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?!"

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
When someone hears of a savage act carried out by another and dismisses the incident, claiming "that's just what those people are like."

If the other species on this planet can show self-awareness and modify their behaviour, we shouldn't have difficulty.

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
ForumSafari said:
Any quote where a group, normally a fairly right-on one, has made up an argument for their opponent that they can refute. It's intellectually dishonest.

That oft-repeated truism about pro lifers being hypocrites for supporting the death penalty. Firstly there's no guarantee they do, secondly the death penalty for a crime isn't the equivalent of an abortion.

That one about Thor having a hammer and Jesus being nailed to a tree, basically anything that mocks Christians but wouldn't mock any other religion. Don't take advantage of their good natured tolerance.

Lyrics: System of a Down - Lonely Day

Such a lonely day
And it's mine
The most loneliest day of my life

Such a lonely day
Should be banned
It's a day that I can't stand

Such a lonely day
Shouldn't exist
It's a day that I'll never miss

Such a lonely day
And it's mine

And if you go, I wanna go with you
And if you die, I wanna die with you
Take your hand and walk away

Such a lonely day
And it's mine
It's a day that I'm glad I survived
Christians have good-natured tolerance? I'm sorry, but as a member of the LGBT community, I have to respectfully disagree.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I have a hang-up with Kanye West's "Stronger" and "What Does the Fox Say?" by Ylvis being my strong points. I just don't like those two songs.

First off, it proved to me that Kanye has nary an original bone in his body, as the fact he lifts the Daft Punk song and slows it down, his video is a direct lift of Akira, and his lyrics express his egomaniacal love of himself. Also, the most egregious example is that he has probably the most obnoxious line I've ever heard in a song:

Awesome, the Christian and Christian Dior
Damn, they don't make 'em like this anymore
I ask 'cause I'm not sure
Do anybody make real shit anymore?
Bow in the presence of greatness
'cause right now thou has forsaken us
You should be honored by my lateness
That I would even show up to this fake shit

I don't mind rap, but he's asking if anybody makes real shit anymore, but most of his music is sampled from other musicians: Daft Punk and King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man' are the two I am aware of. What's that about if anybody makes real shit anymore, Kanye?

This is Louis Vuitton Don night
So we gonna do everything that Kan like
Heard they'd do anything for a Klondike
Well I'd do anything for a blonde-dike
And she'll do anything for the limelight
And we'll do anything when the time's right

This lyric just told me that his respect for women is unbelievably low. A Blonde Lesbian is what he'll go for, as if it's something you can request off a menu, and she'll do anything for a little recognition. Makes the lyrics in that One Direction song everybody is arguing about in the forums make perfect sense, at least to me.

What is the point of this song? Really. Who is it for? Dance Halls? What kind of dance hall would dance to this when there is something by Pitbull or somebody else on the list to listen to? Little Kids? Why would you want kids doing impression of the most annoying sound in the world? Think about it. This feels like a Meme that is trying way too hard to become a meme. A Lonely Island song that they would say, "You know what? That's too obnoxious for us to try and do." Maybe it's supposed to be fun, but it's not fun when you probably have a handful of drunk people or even little kids replicating those awful noises.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
LadyLightning said:
Christians have good-natured tolerance? I'm sorry, but as a member of the LGBT community, I have to respectfully disagree.
As I pointed out to the other user I'm not American, I'm English. There's a cultural mismatch there.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
shogunblade said:
I have a hang-up with Kanye West's "Stronger" and "What Does the Fox Say?" by Ylvis being my strong points. I just don't like those two songs.

First off, it proved to me that Kanye has nary an original bone in his body, as the fact he lifts the Daft Punk song and slows it down, his video is a direct lift of Akira, and his lyrics express his egomaniacal love of himself. Also, the most egregious example is that he has probably the most obnoxious line I've ever heard in a song:

Awesome, the Christian and Christian Dior
Damn, they don't make 'em like this anymore
I ask 'cause I'm not sure
Do anybody make real shit anymore?
Bow in the presence of greatness
'cause right now thou has forsaken us
You should be honored by my lateness
That I would even show up to this fake shit

I don't mind rap, but he's asking if anybody makes real shit anymore, but most of his music is sampled from other musicians: Daft Punk and King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man' are the two I am aware of. What's that about if anybody makes real shit anymore, Kanye?

This is Louis Vuitton Don night
So we gonna do everything that Kan like
Heard they'd do anything for a Klondike
Well I'd do anything for a blonde-dike
And she'll do anything for the limelight
And we'll do anything when the time's right

This lyric just told me that his respect for women is unbelievably low. A Blonde Lesbian is what he'll go for, as if it's something you can request off a menu, and she'll do anything for a little recognition. Makes the lyrics in that One Direction song everybody is arguing about in the forums make perfect sense, at least to me.

What is the point of this song? Really. Who is it for? Dance Halls? What kind of dance hall would dance to this when there is something by Pitbull or somebody else on the list to listen to? Little Kids? Why would you want kids doing impression of the most annoying sound in the world? Think about it. This feels like a Meme that is trying way too hard to become a meme. A Lonely Island song that they would say, "You know what? That's too obnoxious for us to try and do." Maybe it's supposed to be fun, but it's not fun when you probably have a handful of drunk people or even little kids replicating those awful noises.
Well Ylvis are comedians, so it's not unreasonable to suppose that they did it to mock the vacuousness of pop songs, only for it to become ridiculously popular for that exact reason.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
There's this thing going around where people are taking inspirational quotes from hitler, yes, bloody HITLER and saying they're from taylor swift. It's brilliant but horrible at the same time.
But that sentence sums up the whole internet really.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
"Only God can judge me"

Excuse by every ghetto douche that thinks they can act like an ass and only their God can call them out on their bullshit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
Atleast Rand has some respect for civil liberties.
Unless you're black, gay, a woman, transgender.....

He has respect for the civil liberties of people exactly like him: rich white sociopathic males. He's just a different paint job for the rest of the conservative trash in Congress, and so was his father. This shitstain on the face of society compares emergency heart surgeries to shopping for contact lenses, because that's how much respect the self-accredited "Doctor" Paul has for human life.

Unless you're a straight white male of at least middle class status, you really shouldn't be talking about his love of civil liberties. He talks about them the same way other Republicans talk about free speech until it's no longer convenient. He wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Neither would Ron.

ForumSafari said:
It just sounds like you're mad because I'm not being fake even-handed to the side you agree with.
Quite the opposite. My issue here is that you are making pretenses of equity with no actual substance, while reveling in assumptions and then accusing me of the same. Hell, you even used my statement about illusion of quality practically verbatim. Nothing I said required you to be pro-life or conservative, but you still don't understand that because it's inconvenient.

I'm sorry your retorts were that poorly thought out that you need to now accuse me of being "mad," but seriously, try applying logic rather than justifications. At this point, you're really no different than the apologists and you are making "my side" look bad by running around with that train of thought.

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
When I was young, I use to watch the Lizzie Maguire show (for the record I generally thought it was stupid, but I was bored and it was kinda funny at times). The show had a lot of stupid moments, but the worst was when at the end of one show the cartoon character meant to represent Lizzie's inner thoughts said she wanted to know the "answer to the immortal question of "who let the dogs out, woof woof".". I smacked my head repeatedly after seeing that on a kids show being said by what was supposed to be a thirteen year old girl. Seriously, how could the writers of that show, listen to that song and think "hey, chauvinistic guys publicly embarrassing, insulting a belittling women that they don't find physically attractive, this is a perfect thing for a junior high girl to be just throwing out there!".

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kged said:
This is a song called "Life" by a deservedly obscure British singer called Des'ree. It has won awards as The Worst Lyric Of All Time. Are you ready for this? No. No you are not ready for this. I beg forgiveness, international friends - soon there will come a time in your life when you can look back to the days before you encountered this song, and reminisce about how everything was better back then.

"I'm afraid of the dark
Specially when I'm in a park
And there's no one else around,
I get the shivers.

I don't want to see a ghost,
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news
."

Professional musicians actually made this happen to the world. I'm still coming to terms with that.
I remember the first time that I heard that and had improved my English to the point where I could actually understand what it said. It was a bit unexpected.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
"The freer the market, the freer the people."

It's just such a silly, over simplistic view, and one that is far too often quoted.

By this logic citizens of Pinochet's Chile were freer than citizens of modern Nordic countries.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fox12 said:
Atleast Rand has some respect for civil liberties.
Unless you're black, gay, a woman, transgender.....

He has respect for the civil liberties of people exactly like him: rich white sociopathic males. He's just a different paint job for the rest of the conservative trash in Congress, and so was his father. This shitstain on the face of society compares emergency heart surgeries to shopping for contact lenses, because that's how much respect the self-accredited "Doctor" Paul has for human life.

Unless you're a straight white male of at least middle class status, you really shouldn't be talking about his love of civil liberties. He talks about them the same way other Republicans talk about free speech until it's no longer convenient. He wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Neither would Ron.
How is Ron Paul anti-homosexual? He supports gay marriage. Yes, he said he thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman, but he also thinks that the federal government has no right to impose itself on the marriage rights of citizens... since we're not a theocracy. I'm also not sure why you think he's against minorities. He's better than Mccain and Lindsey Graham when it comes to civil liberty, and he's FAR better than Obama, who is nothing less than a war criminal.

Rand Paul has some issues, but I'm on the fence on him.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Fox12 said:
How is Ron Paul anti-homosexual? He supports gay marriage. Yes, he said he thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman, but he also thinks that the federal government has no right to impose itself on the marriage rights of citizens... since we're not a theocracy.
Gonna have to contradict you there. A man who dislikes the thought of homosexuals marrying, speficially because they are homosexual, is anti-gay marriage. That he doesn't want to force this view on people doesn't change the fact that he regards gay weddings as something that preferrably shouldn't happen. He's just nice enough not to fight it with legislation.
By that logic you might as well say that Obama is pro-the republican party, since he doesn't want to outlaw the right to vote for them.

That somebody fights something with reason and debate rather than legislation doesn't mean he supports it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Fox12 said:
How is Ron Paul anti-homosexual? He supports gay marriage. Yes, he said he thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman, but he also thinks that the federal government has no right to impose itself on the marriage rights of citizens... since we're not a theocracy.
Gonna have to contradict you there. A man who dislikes the thought of homosexuals marrying, speficially because they are homosexual, is anti-gay marriage. That he doesn't want to force this view on people doesn't change the fact that he regards gay weddings as something that preferrably shouldn't happen. He's just nice enough not to fight it with legislation.
By that logic you might as well say that Obama is pro-the republican party, since he doesn't want to outlaw the right to vote for them.

That somebody fights something with reason and debate rather than legislation doesn't mean he supports it.
But that's the crux of the entire libertarian philosophy. You may disagree with someone, but as long as they're not hurting you, who cares? You're supposed to use reason and debate to convince someone, not use coercion to force your opinions on others. Ron Paul doesn't support the use of Marijuana either, but he thinks it should be legalized. I don't agree with everything Ron Paul says, but he knows the governments place, which is more than I can say for the Republican or Democratic parties. Just because you don't want to make something illegal doesn't mean you endorse it. Basically he has a policy of staying out of other peoples business, and it's that policy I endorse. He may support traditional marriage in his own life, but he supports separating marriage from the institution of government, knowing full well that this allows gay marriage to exist across the country. In other words he may not endorse gay marriage, but he doesn't want to stop other people from having the right to pursue it in their own lives either, and I think this is an important distinction. I've also never met a libertarian that opposed gay marriage, even if they were religious.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
My issue here is that you are making pretenses of equity with no actual substance, while reveling in assumptions and then accusing me of the same.
Oh christ are you still hung up on this? I know you don't like to let things go but seriously, you must be the only person here that still cares about this.

One final time. I find one side more annoying than the other and the main thing I find annoying are dumbshits that happen to agree with me but that can't recognise when their argument is stupid and they're right for the wrong reasons. It's personal annoyance dude, I don't have to find things annoying based on empirical reasons, what annoys people is a very personal thing.

I have never understood why you're so confrontational about everything but things are seldom black and white, you ought to learn when to let shit go because seriously, everyone else stopped caring a week ago.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
DanDeFool said:
mokes310 said:
Living in Korea, you hear quite a few, since they practice the same phrases over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Some of those are listed below, and most come from either students or Korean English Teachers:

-Snip-

5) Do you have girlfriend? Do you have wife? Do you have children? Do you have gay? (in that order)
"Do you have gay?"

Did someone really ask you that? That is adorable. I'd just want to pinch that poor confused Korean's cheeks and say "Dawww!"

In any case, might make a fun conversation with my friend who lived in SE Asia for a while.
Oh yeah, they always ask that...and sometimes, even the Korean CoTeachers ask that as well. Somethings here, are, well, quite strange to say the least.