Mac Harddrive faliure

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Darkness62 said:
Just be careful there are a few Apple Jihadists there that firmly believe anything Apple is incapable of failing, and may call you a liar, but thankfully they are a minority. There are plenty of knowledgeable people there that can help you. Why would you ask that question here though? Asking a console-tard a technical question is like asking a cockroach the meaning of life.
This is the reason I would always shy away from using Mac Forums. They are probably the least helpful place on the internet at times.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Altheus_Necron said:
A friend of mine had a similar issue.

He recommends that you try refridgerating the drive. I have absolutely no idea what good that will do, but he swears it fixed his long enough for him to back up his critical files
Your friend wasn't pulling your leg - in cases where a drive is physically failing, getting it cold via refrigeration can often allow it to function for long enough to pull the data you want off of it. We've used that trick a couple times at work - sometimes it won't help, but since it's broken now, what do you have to lose?

Dec 16, 2009
McHanhan said:
Vie said:
Tried a disc bootable Linux distro and a large usb hard drive?
I don't follow wouldn't that just override my exisiting hard drive.
Horticulture said:
Vie's suggesting that you start your computer from a Linux CD [http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu] the same way you would use the recovery disc (hold 'c' at boot). Rather than installing Linux, you'll boot up from the CD and run linux from there while you copy the recoverable files from your MacBook's hard drive to your external.
I recommend Ubuntu version of linux. Following Horticultures instructions, I think you'll be give the option of "Run Live Version" you should then have access to all your files via Ubuntu operating system.
You never know, you might become a Linux fan.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
tk1989 said:
almightywabbit said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Why oh WHY do people get the drive to use a Mac...
Because they're good. I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 years. My PC had a problem nearly every week. So go away fanboy, unless you're going to contribute.

OP, my cousin had this, don't think he actually managed to solve it himself, have you tried taking it to your nearest Apple shop? The Genius bar might be able to help.
Oh please. If I was going to be a fanboy for anything it certainly wouldn't be for Windows. Just because I prefer it to a mac doesn't make me a fanboy, it just makes you look like a sodding troll.

Sod off.

THERE'S my contribution.
Cmon dude, you take a cheap shot at Macs and then as soon as someone makes a fair rebuttal you start going over the top.

Just because you don't like macs doesnt mean shit. If you dont have something to contribute to the topic then stop trolling.
Wow i cant believe im actually going to say this, and yes he's going to kill me for it but tough considering i'll tell him to his face tomorrow...

I agree with him that he is aloud to give his oppinion, asked for or not, its expected and many escapists do it for other things (example, Xbox, PS3 etc or even the games). I also agree with him that his oppinion doesnt make him a "fanboy", he's purely saying that as far as he is concerned, many people have had problems with Mac and he belives Windows is so much easier and better to have and so its his chosen choice and he is *ahem* recomending it in a very bad way (I honestly cant say anything on this because i've only ever had windows but i have to say i have heard so many bad things about the Mac).
Granted he shouldnt have risen to the bait having been called a "fanboy"... even i know not to bother (else to edit the post and add a contribute, which i shall be adding my contribute in 2mins) and obviously we can see where its ended him which i think is a damn shame considering his nice track record. This is why i say dont bother posting when your in bad moods or else prepare to be killed.

To be honest (dont flame or kill me for saying this because i've seen so many threads with these sorts of things and this one has now had two people put on probation for it), yes it wasnt asking for oppinions but you can always bet someone will tell you that the Mac is rubbish for what ever reason, or that they prefer something else. There is no point reporting them etc as in some way, like i said, there are loads of threads where people have had malfuncions and asked for help and loads of true "fanboys" have come on and cursed without any hassel for their non-contributing. Yes this time i think someone's love of sarcasm has gone too far and im not backing him up for it, im merely saying, the probation was rather harsh for them both just because they both put down that they dont like the Mac. But seeing as im not a mod (thank god coz ive enough stress), i cant tell you what to do, i can only say that sometimes things are a bit over the top... i've actually said it once before on one of my first threads, that its sometimes best to over look the odd people telling their opinions because its not fair to probation only some of them and not the rest... had you's put them on probation for any further posts, then that i could understand (although, Almightywabbit's was harsher then aDuck's comment so i guess he did get what was coming to him... pity he never listens to me when he's in a bad mood, best to leave him to get on with it and face consequences later...anyway...

OT: I had a friend who had to wipe his Mac after what sounds like a similar problem. He lost everything but at least it was working again. Turned out to be some sort of virus (i think thats what he said) or it might be a good idea before trying anything, to consult a professional rather then escapists. I had my friends tell me to wipe my comuter when all it needed was a kick in the teeth (ok so i kicked it and it worked again).

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Why oh WHY do people get the drive to use a Mac...
Because they're good. I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 years. My PC had a problem nearly every week. So go away fanboy, unless you're going to contribute.

OP, my cousin had this, don't think he actually managed to solve it himself, have you tried taking it to your nearest Apple shop? The Genius bar might be able to help.
Erm, there wasn't any reason to start throwing around the generally insulting term "fanboy" there. Albeit, he's expressing his opinion in a way that clashes with yours, but REAL fanboys are a lot worse.
OT: I hear a lot about macs failing BUT this doesn't seem to be the main problem here.
(as described by 'pretty typical' by the OP)
The thing I did when my WINDOWS hard-drive failed? Wiped it, and used a program called "Recuva" to bring everything...be careful though, more could come back (old deleted files)

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Thaius said:
Huh, I like how everyone finds out that a Mac failed and acts like it's more common than on your average Windows computer. Get a life, guys.
It's mainly the way there's a similar amount of problem threads regarding Macs as there are for Windows floating around help websites, yet Windows has 95% of the market share. Therefore, Mac has 19 times more problems than Windows.

Although most of the Mac problems involve things like the F key not working, the hard drive failing, certain keys not working properly with the Shift key, and the inability to get Windows programs to work on it.

Windows problems are for REAL computer users! Having a problem every day to solve! And also, when Windows does have a problem, it is particularly easy to solve since both the software and hardware is so much less restrictive than Mac's.

Although then again, I've not had a real major problem with Windows itself since I got an XP PC in 2002/3 some time. All the major problems were viruses (From browsing bad websites, and Mac is not immune before anyone says it) or, annoyingly, anti-virus programs leaking their virus information to OTHER anti-virus programs, so they constantly detected each other. Even Vista ran flawlessly for me when I had it.

Other than that though, PC > Mac for cheaper, more powerful, usually just as good looking PCs. That and Windows doesn't have a Starbucks-going smarmy writer feel to them. Also, because of the market share difference, Windows has a vastly larger amount of support.

I understand people have their own opinions on the operating systems, which one works best for their uses and all that, but there are some things that are better than others, and Windows PCs are much, MUCH superior to Mac. Even for the standard arguements such as video editing, 3D modelling, music making... When I can get Sony Vegas, Maya or 3DS Max and Reason for Windows, why would I need a Mac? For the £1300 it'd cost me for a high end Mac, I could make an immensely more powerful computer to help contribute to my development abilities in those programs, probably more cheaply than the Mac too.

HOWEVER, now I have ranted a bunch of reasons to prefer Windows to Mac, I agree to trying any bootable CD that lets you view files, such as Ubuntu's live CD, and moving the files to an external USB drive. I do apologise for the rant, however, I just hate it when Windows users are considered fanboys when I can say all that, and still have a lot more reasons for hating Macs, and Apple products in general.

McHanhan

Sep 13, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
McHanhan said:
Vie said:
Tried a disc bootable Linux distro and a large usb hard drive?
I don't follow wouldn't that just override my exisiting hard drive.
Horticulture said:
Vie's suggesting that you start your computer from a Linux CD [http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu] the same way you would use the recovery disc (hold 'c' at boot). Rather than installing Linux, you'll boot up from the CD and run linux from there while you copy the recoverable files from your MacBook's hard drive to your external.
I recommend Ubuntu version of linux. Following Horticultures instructions, I think you'll be give the option of "Run Live Version" you should then have access to all your files via Ubuntu operating system.
You never know, you might become a Linux fan.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Thats actually helpful thanks