MacGyver Movie in the Works

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
MacGyver Movie in the Works

Using an old bicycle, some string and a car battery, New Line Cinema has created a MacGyver movie. Well, it's started working on one at least.

MacGyver is one of those shows that has shaped pop culture so much that its name has become a verb and it got a whole episode of Mythbusters [http://www.amazon.com/Mythbusters-Collection-1-Jamie-Hyneman/dp/B000NO23W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276707202&sr=8-1] all to itself. But it's been a while since the show wrapped up, so you could be forgiven if you're not familiar with it.

All that's set to change, however, with the announcement of a MacGyver movie. New Line Cinema has hired Jason Richman [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0725034/], writer of Stargate SG1 [http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Company-Anthony-Hopkins/dp/B00006JDVT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276707222&sr=1-1] fame - will reprise his role, or if it will be a reboot of the franchise with someone younger.

Personally, I'd rather see the "real" MacGyver, than some new guy, although the mullet can stay with the TV show.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/05/21/macgyver-movie-is-actually-in-the-works/]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I am fond of MacGyver, but RDA is almost 60 now. Then again it didn't stop Harrison Ford in the new Indy Movie.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Not going to lie, I have never seen an episode. However, I LOVE Richard Anderson, SG-1 was the best when he was on it.

Are his little crazy inventions as prevalent in the series as the multiple parodies/spoofs make them out to be? or is it just something that happened every once in a while?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I hope he will reprise it! He is totally epic and played an awesome McGuyver!

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Richard Dean Anderson is a must, without him I'd be about as likely to see a MacGyver movie as I would be to fornicate with a cactus.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Deofuta said:
Are his little crazy inventions as prevalent in the series as the multiple parodies/spoofs make them out to be? or is it just something that happened every once in a while?
Yes. Duct tape...

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
10 bucks says he'll get locked in a storage cupboard at one point. I called it first.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
How is this news tbh? They have already made Macgyver movies before, Lost Treasure of Atlantis and Trail to Doomsday both in 1994.

And if they are serious about this movie they better have Richard as macgyver and there better be no lost son like the last Indy movie.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
...MacGuyver is real? I thought it was just a running joke in the Simpsons...

...Wow.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I wonder if he will make a Machine gun using nothing more than an elastic band and some paper clips?

I certainly hope so!

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Richard Dean Anderson had better be MacGyver in this. I doubt anyone else could pull it off.
And hey, if he can still fight jaffa, replicators and the ori at over 60+ i'm sure this will be easy.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Richard Dean Anderson had better be MacGyver in this. I doubt anyone else could pull it off.
And hey, if he can still fight jaffa, replicators and the ori at over 60+ i'm sure this will be easy.
He only fights against the replicators because he accidentally created them back in 1988 with two paper clips, a roll of duct tape, a popsicle stick, and a butane lighter.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Chipperz said:

...Wow.
Wow...I...wow. I have no idea what to say to that. I really don't.
I didn't know it was a real show until I was about 16.

EMFCRACKSHOT said:
He may be able to at his age, but not with the stomach he was showing in the 1st episode of SG: Universe.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
He only fights against the replicators because he accidentally created them back in 1988 with two paper clips, a roll of duct tape, a popsicle stick, and a butane lighter.
Damn you for making me spit my drink all over my keyboard.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Chipperz said:

...Wow.
Wow...I...wow. I have no idea what to say to that. I really don't.
Well, think about it this way - after reading the wikipedia page for MacGuyver, it strikes me as a very American thing. While stuff like Columbo is still shown all the damn time here, it's quite rare for less well known older American shows to get second viewings (if it was ever shown in England at all).

Honestly, the only exposure I've had to it is through the Simpsons, where I thought it sounded so ridiculous that I thought it was a pisstake of other American detective dramas.