Mad Catz Joins Game Development Business

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mad Catz Joins Game Development Business

No longer content simply to stock GameStop shelves with garishly colored controllers, Mad Catz has formed its own internal game development studio.

The studio, dubbed ThunderHawk Studios (likely in a bid to appeal both to fans of unnecessary capitalization and over-caffeinated teen boys), has been tasked with developing "a series of MMO flight simulators" the first of which is planned for release in 2012.

"The addition of flight simulation games should leverage the market share leadership and global distribution enjoyed by our flight simulation hardware products. The formation of ThunderHawk Studios is an important milestone as we pursue our longer term goal of expanding our participation in developing, publishing and distributing games," Mad Catz CEO Darren Richardson said of the firm's new branch.

As Shacknews points out, it makes a certain sense for a company that builds peripherals for flight simulators to also craft the actual games as well. Especially given the dearth of new titles in that particular genre.

That said, outside of "FMV lacrosse platformers," MMO flight simulators is the least lucrative section of the gaming market for Mad Catz to dive into. They'd make far more money developing Angry Birds knockoffs for Facebook. Either Mad Catz knows something that the rest of us don't, or someone at the top of the company has no problem dumping a ton of cash in a quest to fulfill his love for flying fictional planes.

I've got fingers crossed that this doesn't affect the company's recent evolution into a manufacturer of surprisingly high quality fighting game joysticks.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/68630/mad-catz-forms-thunderhawk-studios]

Apr 28, 2008
So on top of shoddily built controllers, we'll also be getting shoddily built games?

Awesome.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
HankMan said:
Is anyone else not seeing the pictures in the articles today? It's really starting to bug me.

OT: fingers crossed for Star Wars X-wing MMO
I am not either. It is quite annoying.
OT: Do not care, and unless they are good, I don't think I ever will.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Uber Evil said:
HankMan said:
Is anyone else not seeing the pictures in the articles today? It's really starting to bug me.

OT: fingers crossed for Star Wars X-wing MMO
I am not either. It is quite annoying.
It's a problem the tech folk are aware of. They're working on it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Soooooo their games will only last for a few months and then be complete and utter shit? (in terms of condition)

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Lord Beautiful said:
Right, because they've already perfected their first craft.
Don't forget Mad Catz also own Saitek and Cyborg brand, Mad Catz is just the low end gaming hardware brand.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh, cool. There's never been a game developer that I knew I could safely disregard before they even announced any titles yet. An exciting first for me. But yeah, after experiencing the awful quality of MadCatz's accessories for a few years way back when, I've long since realized to ignore anything they make. Now games get added to that list.

Imagine playing a MadCatz game with a MadCatz controller while your console is hooked to the TV using MadCatz cables and saving your game to a MadCatz save device. You'll turn the game on to play again after it froze on you the day before to find that your save for not just that game, but all your games have been erased. Angry, you try to start the game again, but now your controller has stopped working. You turn the console off and on again to see if that helps, but now you get the error lights telling you that there's no video output plugged in, because your video cables also just shit the bed. The ultimate shitty gaming experience, courtesy of MadCatz!

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
I don't know about their more specialized products, but their Xbox controllers and headsets are shit, and I dare say that they are worse than hardware made by Gamestop.