Mad Max ?free? this month on PSN

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Might as well give it a dl. Yeah it?s another open world game but as a fan of the movie it looks like fun, at least for a while.

Who?s played it and what did you think?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I like it. Mainly it's the vehicle combat I dearly miss and love tuned to this world. Is it diesel-punk? it's so clangy and twisted and rusty and horrible and it's glorious! that's exactly how I want my vehicle combat to be. Also Australians are always appreciated. ;) Absolutely not recommended for anyone that despises sandbox genres and/or vehicles however

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I bought it for PC a couple of years ago and I've tried to finish it twice so I've played it for about 16 hours. It gets very repetitive, it uses the Ubisoft open world formula which got stale long ago.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
It's fine-ish. Nothing really jumps out as spectacular. The vehicle combats an early novelty, but doesn't scale too well (and several of the interest add-ons to your car are just terribly ineffective). Kind of early on they start with the idea of gaasoline being a survival esque rarity too, but that drops off pretty quickly. It also had the Far Cry thing, where the enemies get wiped off the map as you progress, so if you wre big into the car combat you run out of opponents pretty rapidly.

Its not in the immediate shadow of WBGames stablemate Shadow of Mordor nowadays of course, but that made for a glaring contrast when it first came out.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
I played it back when it first came out and liked it well enough. The car combat is pretty good when you get some decent upgrades into your car, and the hand to hand stuff has a nice impact-y feel to it to me. It's like the Batman "counter everything" kind of combat, only not as generous. I remember it does get kinda boring driving around so much emptiness, especially once the enemy vehicles stop spawning in areas.

I got it downloaded, I'll probably play it again soon. Keep me busy until Yakuza 6.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Might as well give it a dl. Yeah it?s another open world game but as a fan of the movie it looks like fun, at least for a while.

Who?s played it and what did you think?
It had some great things about it, for one of the mountains of open-world games, its got a good atmosphere consistent with the series' tone, and isn't as boring as a desert wasteland could be in the wrong hands. It gets repetitive in parts, and that can be annoying, but overall its fun. Worth a playthrough, especially free.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I added it to my Library, I can check it out whenever I feel like it. Pretty cool they added this feature so you don't have to download free stuff if you're not in the mood at the moment.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Its alright. As I have said in the past, it might just be the most ok game ever made. Don't expect anything to shock or surprise you, but everything works. For free, its worth playing.

Feb 26, 2014
I liked it. The car combat was a lot of fun throughout, but that ending. I hated it so much I stopped playing. Usually I'd go around finishing side quests and clearing off the map of it's clutter, but the ending was just so god awful I couldn't keep going. I'll probably play it again some other time, though. Despite the games faults, the car combat is still very fun.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's extremely formulaic but the gameplay is a lot of fun. Love the vehicular combat and this is probably the only current-gen game that still has that and the combat is like Arkham but slower paced and more brutal. Espescially in Arkham Knight you could punch like a rocket from enemy into enemy but no such thing here. It feels tweaked very much to how you'd expect Mad Max to fight instead of Batman.

I already played it but if you can play it for free it's pretty much a no-brainer to atleast try it. Also Max' side-kick Cumbucket really made me laugh a few times. :p

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ezekiel said:
I think it completely fails
Isn't that a recurring sentiment with you. If it's not that one third person shooter from six years ago, it sucks.
it's as recurring as you defending Playstation every time someone says something negative about it is.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Huh. Impressive. It only took a few posts for this thread to "go mad."

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Do you need to have seen the new movie to get it? I'm not much of a fan but I tend to try out new games once in a while just for the hell of it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ezekiel said:
Isn't that a recurring sentiment with you. If it's not that one third person shooter from six years ago, it sucks.
it's as recurring as you defending Playstation every time someone says something negative about it is.
As usual, he shows up only to rag on me, adding nothing to the topic.
Feel free to comb through my sixteen thousand posts and count on two fingers the number of times I've noted you only seem to like the one game. Just strikes me as something that would impair someone's criticism. Not sure about the Sony comment though - I think his logic is that if you're not blindly defending one company then surely you're blindly defending the other one.

Here're my two cents to keep things on a rail:

Cool, I like Mad Max.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Ezekiel said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ezekiel said:
As usual, he shows up only to rag on me, adding nothing to the topic.
pretty much. that's all he's ever done on these forums.

never says anything except insult others. say one word about his precious Playstation though and there he is defending it like no tomorrow.

pretty hypocritical of him since he's always having a go at me whenever i defend Nintendo.