Madden NFL 12 Review

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I might rent it to see for myself. I played 2010 and I hate how the game plays this generation. I'm playing 2011 on the PS2.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
People who decry sports games' yearly releases are morons in my opinion. I mean let's face it, how do you expect the developers to implement sweeping improvements on a yearly basis? Most of the time they don't actually re-use game assets. And it's not like they can just change the rules of the sport the game is based off of either, right?

I feel that for what they do in such limited time, they definitely do a fantastic job at getting you into the game. If you're a sports fan, there's nothing quite like sitting down to a game of NHL or Madden. Unless you play for real, of course.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
My last Madden was 09. My superstar had fumble-itis despite having a carrying skill of 99. Seriously, a small nudge or even breaking a tackle resulted in a turnover.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You could tell me the game dispenses hookers and blow, I'm still never going to buy another Madden product as long as they hold the exclusive NFL game license. Haven't played a Madden game since 2008 and I'm going to keep it that way.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I haven't bought a Madden game since '06, as part of a package deal for my 360.

Maybe I'll buy my brother's copy of '12 when he's done with it.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
The Great JT said:
You could tell me the game dispenses hookers and blow, I'm still never going to buy another Madden product as long as they hold the exclusive NFL game license. Haven't played a Madden game since 2008 and I'm going to keep it that way.
Nice!

As I was growing up I saw dozens of NFL titles.
So much so that you were almost as spoilt for choice as FPSs in 2008.
I played NFL Blitz. I played Tom Landry Strategy Football Deluxe.

In the mid noughties, Madden had more market share, but it was the inferior game.
EA decided .. oh hey, let's just have a monopoly and kill off all the competition.

What I want to know is, is this "improved by a tiny bit every year" Madden still not as good as 2K5?

'cos NFL was once a driving force of innovation in video games.
FUCK YOU EA.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Zer_ said:
People who decry sports games' yearly releases are morons in my opinion. I mean let's face it, how do you expect the developers to implement sweeping improvements on a yearly basis? Most of the time they don't actually re-use game assets. And it's not like they can just change the rules of the sport the game is based off of either, right?

I feel that for what they do in such limited time, they definitely do a fantastic job at getting you into the game. If you're a sports fan, there's nothing quite like sitting down to a game of NHL or Madden. Unless you play for real, of course.
I think most of the decrying involved in the Yearly sports titles is the Yearly part. As you've stated, the series lacks any significant change on a game to game basis (Perhaps even for good reason), which would stand to reason that they don't need to charge 60 bucks for it every year. Considering that many of the games are merely a roster update, it seems like the least they could do is sell one game, then put some cheap DLC out every year to update players rosters.

I'm not going to say any of the titles are bad functionally. They've all looked nice and played well, but the series is so blatantly a raw cash grab that its a bit irritating to watch them get away with it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
FilipJPhry said:
My last Madden was 09. My superstar had fumble-itis despite having a carrying skill of 99. Seriously, a small nudge or even breaking a tackle resulted in a turnover.
Did you give him his Gripsulin shot?

Oh gawd im going to hell for this...

I really enjoyed 09. I made a team called the Hornets and they just so happened to have a honey comb design for their stadium. It was awesome.

Also my brother just bought 10 in a pawn shop for £4!

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
My friend just got 09 pre-owned and I suck balls at it. Admittedly I have had zero exposure to American Football in my life so I don't really know how anything works but it does seem weirdly easy to beat the defence and none of my friends can figure out how to play defence.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I like that all the players are up to date.

I don't think the skin tones are that great though. Most shades of don't seem dark enough with the players seeming washed out or pasty.