Madden NFL Coming to Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Madden NFL Coming to Facebook

Here's some chocolate in your peanut butter: Electronic Arts says it plans to bring its most popular and successful EA Sports franchise, Madden NFL [http://maddennfl.easports.com/], to Facebook.

Electronic Arts [http://www.facebook.com] wants a slice of that pie and what better way to cut one than with its most enduring and lucrative franchise, Madden NFL?

"We have to make Madden more accessible," EA Sports President Peter Moore told Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=aVlyOBqLsfSw]. "You'll see us on Facebook going forward."

There's no release target for the game at this point - EA hasn't even made an official announcement - but Moore said it would be a "simpler experience" than the console versions of the game. That's not exactly a big surprise: Facebook games may bring in a lot of coin but they're also aimed squarely at the casual market, where the realism of the "normal" Madden games would likely be out of place.

The Madden NFL franchise is an easy target for "real gamers" to rip on because of its mainstream popularity and cookie-cutter annual sequels, but nobody can deny its ridiculous popularity. How big is it? The original John Madden Football was released 22 years ago for the Apple II, Commodore 64 and DOS, and has appeared on every major (and some minor) platforms since. The most recent iteration of the game, expectations [http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-10-Xbox-360/dp/B001UU1WTC/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156665&sr=1-2] but still managed to put out almost two million copies across all platforms in its first two weeks of release, while lifetime franchise revenues are estimated to be somewhere in the BOOMillions of dollars.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
And another game on Facebook...are w going to offically rename it a gaming platform?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Wonderful, now I can tell the majority of douchebags on facebook s well as Xbox live. Oh the wonders of technology

Seriously though, why does it need to be on facebook?

j1-2themax

Jun 30, 2008
I'm fully expecting the game to be a very watered down version of whatever's available on the consoles or PC, possibly even less. If anyone wants to try it out and post otherwise, fine by me, but I'm not even gonna bother with it.

Oh, and I half wonder if the game's going to make you pay to play with the good teams.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
The Rockerfly said:
Wonderful, now I can tell the majority of douchebags on facebook s well as Xbox live. Oh the wonders of technology

It doesn't need to be, but you know EA and their compulsion to nickel & dime every sucker they can for crap that should have been in their games to start with. Or just nickel & dime every sucker they can.

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
DarkSaber said:
The Rockerfly said:

It doesn't need to be, but you know EA and their compulsion to nickel & dime every sucker they can for crap that should have been in their games to start with. Or just nickel & dime every sucker they can.
You mean their desire to be as profitable a company as possible? Ya, that's a jerk move alright. I'm sure their shareholders hate it too.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Sign me up! I'll gladly waste my precious down time playing the FOOTBALL! on the Facebook.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
jerrrry said:
DarkSaber said:
The Rockerfly said:

You mean their desire to be as profitable a company as possible? Ya, that's a jerk move alright. I'm sure their shareholders hate it too.
Bear that in mind next time you want to complain about a game being rushed-out, buggy, badly tested and over-priced. (Like most EA games.)