Madhouse Releases First Look at X-Men Anime

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Madhouse Releases First Look at X-Men Anime

The world famous X-Men have been anime-ified.

Anime studio Madhouse has revealed the first footage of its take on the X-Men. Like most anime series, it takes a more detailed look at the X-Men and their abilities.

The footage shows Cyclops blasting through some rocks, Storm bring down a blizzard on a cruise ship (?), Beast hopping around, and other characters like Wolverine and Professor X. The basic storyline is as follows:

The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

The X-Men anime is one of four properties Marvel and Madhouse are working on with some guidance from popular comic book scribe Warren Ellis. The other properties include Iron Man, Blade, and Wolverine.

All four series are said to include 12 episodes, each 30 minutes long. G4TV signed a deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102407-Four-Marvel-Anime-Series-Hitting-G4-in-2011] to bring the four to its network, either dubbed or subtitled, in 2011.

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/x-men-gets-an-anime-adaptation-looks-awesome-18655.phtml]

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting. X-Men does lend itself well to the anime format in terms of overall theme, I think.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
well, par for the course when it comes to action anime.

but I cant stop thinking, at 0:12-0:14-ish, was that Wolverine or Beast?

but speaking as someone who grew up with the old X-Men cartoon, I might actually watch this for the sake of it being another X-Men cartoon.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Well, I did like the Iron Man anime. Maybe this will be as good. I can't really tell given that this isn't a particularly informative trailer.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
The Iron Man one was really mediocre, and the Wolverine one was terrible. I'm not exactly feeling positive about this one.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I can see Iron Man (with the mech and computer focus) and Blade (with it's supernatural components) but I'm not feeling the X-men will be good. I'll try it out (If I actually can view it in this fucking country) but I'm on the fence.

FredTheUndead said:
The Iron Man one was really mediocre, and the Wolverine one was terrible. I'm not exactly feeling positive about this one.
Was this the Iron man movie made about 3 years ago? Along with the Avengers and Doctor Strange? If so I take it back that was fucking terrible.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Kalezian said:
well, par for the course when it comes to action anime.

but speaking as someone who grew up with the old X-Men cartoon, I might actually watch this for the sake of it being another X-Men cartoon.

I MISS THIS CARTOON!!! *Sobs*

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
The trailer look cool but I couldn't get into Iron Man and Wolverine. I will check out episode 1 though to see if it's worth watching the rest.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Wasn't X-Men already an anime with "X-Men Evolution" back in the day?

Though, this looks to be much higher quality in terms of artistry and animation. And the subject matter looks much less kid-friendly. I'm looking forward to this, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So the X-Men are going to Japan, huh? Let's hope it doesn't get lost in translation.

Cyclops actually looks pretty cool, but still,... it's only Cyclops.

I don't know if the Japanese mentality will mingle very welll with the whole aesthetic behind X-Men, though. We'll see.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
I think this looks pretty good.
Quality and such.
They just need to sidestep the "many episodes in which nothing happens" pitfall, they should be fine.

allways2edlast

Jul 29, 2010
It at least Looks good from an animation point a view(well it is done by madhouse). But I Hightly doubt It will be as good as the 90's cartoon serise and Im not just saying that because of the dullness of the other marvel calibration.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
I'm actually impressed, I was a little nervous when they said X-men was going to have an anime style.

Now if this does become good they had better not cancel it after a few seasons like they did the other ones, I'm still pissed about that.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well if it turns our anything like the Iron Man or Wolverine animes, then it should be terrible.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I was pretty interested in this.

Then i read the plot and i was like AHAHAHAHA WHAAAAAT

Seriously? The U-MEN? This sounds like bad fanfiction.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
poiumty said:

So im not the only one. Anyways, im not sure what to think about this, im going to need more than one 30 second clip...

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I thought the Iron Man anime was cool till I started actually reading some of the Comics. The wolverine Anime seems alright. Just hope they don't screw up the X-men.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
poiumty said:

Eh, this isn't their first appearance to be honest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Men_%28comics%29

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Looks and "feels" better than the crapp Xmex films...wish they would drop the ultimate marvel crap and go back to the better story and characters....

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Storm bring down a blizzard on a cruise ship (?)
I think it's a cargo ship of some variety. I always think of cruise ships having a different shape and being completely white for aesthetics.

Looks surprisingly good in short, snappy clips but I don't think I'll hold out for anything special.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Please, no tentacles.

Its been a while since there was a n X-Men cartoon. The anime take on the genre looks interesting, hopefully the story wont be as strange as some of the animes out there.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Um.... Is the Japanese setting really necessary? I mean, surely the X-men, but in anime form would have worked just as well? Or maybe they could have just focused on Wolverine's actions in Japan if they really wanted to move it to Japan, now it just seems gimmicky.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I doubt it'll be as good as Wolverine and the X-men. That show kicks ass. Spike Spiegel Wolverine ftw.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
They fight for great justice

I'm guessing jean gray was the x-men who died because Scott had a pendent in his hand. I also saw a huge cross/grave marker as well in the video.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Too much other shit to watch.

But at just 12 episodes, I think I can watch these. Good or bad, it'll only take a few hours.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
008Zulu said:
Please, no tentacles.

Its been a while since there was a n X-Men cartoon. The anime take on the genre looks interesting, hopefully the story wont be as strange as some of the animes out there.
They'll probably wait for the doujin before getting to that part.

X-Men plus anime huh, I'll hold in my nerdgasm 'till they show the first episode.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Well it's about time. If this the only way Japan can start remaking American properties, then I welcome it. It's a nice change.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Just finished watching X-Men Evo, then jumped to the Wolverine anime to have a little bite of it. Let's say it wasn't tasty at all, even the combat animations up to episode two, felt a bit low budgeted, specially when he faced the samurai-katana-wielding-mutant.

The iron man anime on the other hand was relatively decent imho.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I've fallen off of X-Men thanks to the live-action movies and the subsequent "Wolverine and the X-Men". I'll kindly wait until I hear more details about Blade, thanks.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
sweet I really wanna see it...wait a minute...
Tom Goldman said:
All four series are said to include 12 episodes, each 30 minutes long. G4TV signed a deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102407-Four-Marvel-Anime-Series-Hitting-G4-in-2011] to bring the four to its network, either dubbed or subtitled, in 2011.
Wow G4 is actually getting something that geeks actually would give a damn about
still could have wished it got signed over to adult swim so that way I could actually see it
EDIT: What happened? I qouted more

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
At least this time seem they neiled the look of Wolverine... by opposition of what he look like in the actual Wolverine anime

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I want it to work so bad. The characters, even if the glimpse was brief, look pretty good. I've been wanting a good X men series since Evolution, and I'm hoping this will be it. o.o

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
I'm just glad it's not the same Wolverine from the solo anime. I've seen a recap/review of the first episode and it looks like crap.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
poiumty said:

Are you plain stupid? That plot wasn't made up for the anime. It's from Morrison's New X-Men run. One of the most critically acclaimed stories and one of the few decent ones from the x-men these last 10 years.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
To everyone - X-Men Evolution was awesome, but not anime. Not in the slightest.

The old X-Men cartoon was the best, though... Also, U-Men exist. They just aren't THAT well-known as X-Men or the Brotherhood.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Cyclops: Damnit, burned my hair again. I hate that smell.

Other than that. Whatever. I'll watch it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Aylaine said:
The characters, even if the glimpse was brief, look pretty good.
Well, considering I was expecting...

<youtube=1YGIT1iTuEQ>

... needless to say I'm positively relieved by the character designs, if nothing else.

Might work.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Anime style sort of conflicts with their traditional style doesn't it?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ah, madhouse. I recognise their style in this, which is good, because their style is amongst the better animation studios in Japan.

The first season of Gunslinger girl was done by madhouse. (and is generally considered to have better animation and graphical style to the second season)

Death Note is also their work...

Yeah, they're pretty good, especially if you lean towards the more realistic end of the Anime spectrum.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
manythings said:
I can see Iron Man (with the mech and computer focus) and Blade (with it's supernatural components) but I'm not feeling the X-men will be good. I'll try it out (If I actually can view it in this fucking country) but I'm on the fence.

FredTheUndead said:
Was this the Iron man movie made about 3 years ago? Along with the Avengers and Doctor Strange? If so I take it back that was fucking terrible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Anime#Iron_Man

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
"Like most anime series, it takes a more detailed look at the X-Men and their abilities."
Most anime series are about X-men and their abilities? Damn why havent i watched anime...i was wrong all along....... :p

Plus. Doesnt look thaaat bad, except cyclops, hair too long, body too slender. He was always more the buffer football-athelete type of guy.strange enough he looks like that in the costume...but not anymore without it...thats dumb
I might give it a shot.
Never liked cyclops anyway. But if any cool characters look like girlish j-popstars, im outta there faster than nightcrawler.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
As long as it deals with the persecution of mutants (metaphor for being gay), I'll be happy.
If they take out the human element, I'll be unhappy.
-Tabs<3-

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Looks good. I guess that they had to add Armor to please the japanese audience. Not that i´m complaining...she´s a cool character :)

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
The difference in art style between this and evolution is that this one has higher quality art but much lower quality animation (as with most anime). This will however be better than most if not all other x-men cartoons because it seems to be aimed at a much more mature audience, something cartoons in the west can't really manage outside of comedies.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I don't fucking understand anime. People say "It's not the art style at all, it's the stories!" Valid point.

Then you go and fuck up a perfectly good property like X-men for no apparent reason. There is no good reason why you would pick anime over western as an art style, if something is already in a western art style, and "art style isn't important".

Absolute bollocks.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Madhouse is a good studio. I have total faith in them keeping the X-man awesome for new and old fans.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I remember the old X-men cartoon: kinda looking forward to seeing some serious action (i.e blood) this time around.
Kalezian said:
Checked, That's Beast. Not even feral Logan had that much hair.
Red Rum said:
By "death of a teammate", they obviously mean Phoenix. Obviously.
Obviously
"Sorry Jean's dead. Try back next week."

Rigs83

Feb 10, 2009
Angerwing said:
I don't fucking understand anime. People say "It's not the art style at all, it's the stories!" Valid point.

Then you go and fuck up a perfectly good property like X-men for no apparent reason. There is no good reason why you would pick anime over western as an art style, if something is already in a western art style, and "art style isn't important".

Absolute bollocks.
Woops double posted

Anime really just means they make the eyes too big and the guys metrosexual. I fear I might insight rage if I show the Wolverine anime they are doing separate from this but here it is.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
This looks significantly less stupid than I anticipated. Might give it a shot when it comes out. Who knows, it could actually be kinda good.

hansari

May 31, 2009
X-Men in cartoon form SHOULD be in anime. Where more action that way.

I remember the X-Men cartoons and the action was always bland...

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Art style looks decent, that's one the few things I like about anime, too bad the story sounds like a bad Voyager episode. Maybe the plot can make up for it.

I'd have more faith if it was not based on an existing comic book story.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Xzi said:
Interesting. X-Men does lend itself well to the anime format in terms of overall theme, I think.
Darker Than Black is basically a Japanese X-Men anime :p

Anyway the plot synopsis is kind of meh, but the trailer is admittedly pretty fucking badass. I really hope these projects go better than the disastrous Lion's Gate animated movies... God those are awful.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
hansari said:
X-Men in cartoon form SHOULD be in anime. Where more action that way.

I remember the X-Men cartoons and the action was always bland...
Except the action in this:
Rigs83 said:
Is completely implied. It shows no violence. It just cuts to flashes of claws and then aftermath of said claws. It just shows lazy as shit animation, and no real combat.

Talk about bland action. This shit has no action.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
Please, no tentacles.

Not even if they're attached to Omega Red?

But seriously, they actually made Cyclops look cool. Kudos for that if anything.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Thank god Wolverine has some facial hair now at least. I'll check it out, loved the animated series when I was younger, so hopefully its good.

Ryujisama

Sep 3, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Huh... I thought G4 wanted nothing to do with anime, considering it's treatment of the fans...