Mafia II is Not a Game

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Mafia II is Not a Game

Mafia II is not a game. It's interactive theater.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
It concerns me slightly that Russ always loves Mafia games. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5956-Review-The-Godfather-II]

Perhaps there's a hidden agenda? Or even hidden oranges.

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
Wait, didn't he say it was a game on the last paragraph? And yet the article title says that it isn't.

Also, I've always thought story+visuals+gameplay=video game. Hell, that's what you call an 'interactive theater.' Remember, movies don't necessarily have to have a good story (they aren't usually even good), and neither do video games. Call me practical or something, I don't know.

The article is very well written though, and a good read. Props. Mafia 2 is truly a great game, so at least you seem to have good tastes.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Lots here seem to think very highly of M2, but after looking at other reviews, this game seems pretty average. Nothing to get too worked up about.

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Lots here seem to think very highly of M2, but after looking at other reviews, this game seems pretty average. Nothing to get too worked up about.
May I ask what reviews you were reading? The game bases most of it's gameplay on the story, which happens to be absolutely phenomenal and is almost worth it just for that.

Apr 28, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Thats because they compared it to GTA, and bashed it for not having as much freedom. which is odd since freedom was never really the point of this game, or the first Mafia game.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Mafia 2 was an amazing experience and I agree, its not fun, you can have fun while playing it, but its deeper than just fun. I've never played a game where the death of an NPC felt as earth shattering as in Mafia 2.

Its a truly awesome experience and I loved every minute of it!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Escapist staff take a new leap forward into the realms of pretentious self-indulgence. But column quotas must be met I suppose.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its certainly got the feeling, and, with the period of times - you really get to know your characters too

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
ALuckyChance said:
Jiraiya72 said:
May I ask what reviews you were reading? The game bases most of it's gameplay on the story, which happens to be absolutely phenomenal and is almost worth it just for that.
1UP; 7.5/10
Xbox Magazine; 8/10
Destructoid; 6.5/10
IGN; 7/10
Around average

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
I saw it as The Godfather only it wasn't even remotely interesting and I cheered when people I was supposed to like died.
People have opinions

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
ALuckyChance said:
Jiraiya72 said:
1UP; 7.5/10
Xbox Magazine; 8/10
Destructoid; 6.5/10
IGN; 7/10
Around average
I don't know about 1UP, XBOX Magazine, or Destructoid, but you're insane if you seriously think IGN is a credible review source. Hell, I doubt many professional review sites are any credible anymore.

Try looking at user scores instead.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Have you even played it?

And many reviews claim that it's a shit sandbox game. Which it is. But that's like calling Half Life 2 a shit sandbox game; because neither are about sandbox-tom-foolery.

OT: It's a game, and there's plenty of game in there. Just that the gameplay serves the narrative and not the other way around.

Furburt said:
The only huge criticism I can bring up about the game is it feels unfinished in several places. However, I hear there's a DLC plan set out for this game, and if all else fails, Mafia has always had a prodigious mod community. Apparently, there's a shitload of unused stuff buried in the games code, so a Kotor 2 style restoration project wouldn't be out of the question.
Same for me. Funnily enough the DLC is just focused on pissing about in the city, but there was another title in the game code (Joe's Adventures or something) which I'm guessing will be more aimed at M2's main style, if it does come to fruition.

Main complaints from me are that the GC 09 demo missions isn't there (the atmosphere makes me want to weep uncontrollably in that video, it's so good), as are some of the interactive elements (like Vito getting mugged).

I really loved the idea of side-missions that arise naturally during a chapter, and that add to the secondary characters; many of whom needed fleshing out more. It's a shame they cut so much, some of which for no apparent reason.

Loved Chapter 14 though. I nearly pissed myself from excitement and dread when I saw Joe turn up with the car.