Mafia II is Not a Game

Arcthelad

Aug 26, 2009
If the gameplay takes such a backseat to the story, why not just make it a film or book? I'll tell you why: the standards set for games in terms of storytelling are so low, that many of the gaming community is prepared to accept stories that seem to invoke even the smallest bit of intelligence. I doubt a game like Heavy Rain's or Mafia 2's story would fare too well in other media.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've not played Mafia II yet, but Mafia I is still on my shelf. It was a truly brilliant game with a great story. From what i've heard about Mafia II, it sounds just like that. Sadly, if it was not for my preoccupation with too many other games, i'd have bought this myself.

Honestly, and I know this sounds cliche or lame, I really am looking forward to what Yahtzee will say about this game. I have been for months before this game came out.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I sounds like he really liked the game personally and centered it on one gaming experience that affected him alot.

Not one that was that big a deal just one that hit home for him and decided to write an article about his experience.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"Mafia II has just enough "game" for you to grab a hold of and feel secure about."

So it's another shooter with cutscenes, but someone likes the story and the setting enough to elevate it to a new artform. Because the shooting is just so much more meaningful in this particular game compared to others *sigh*

Incidentally - did you know that if it wasn't for zp, I'd never read a fraction of the drivel that gets posted on the site?

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Furburt said:
Mullahgrrl said:
Its still a game, stupid!
Just a heads up, calling a senior moderator stupid might not be the best idea.
Worse. He's actually Editor in Chief of the entire site. Disagree all you like, but you might want to rethink the "stupid" bit.
And even worse yet, this person calling Mr. Pitts stupid uses that abhorrent "grrl" thing in their name. Isn't that already counted as two strikes now based on the rules of the internet?

On topic, even if it had less gameplay or freedom than it does now, it would still be ten times the GAME that Heavy Rain was. (I use that because they are both cinematic and rely more on story than traditional gameplay for the experience)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I definitely wanna play this game now :) hearing some pretty good stuff about it
beyond just the, you know, Playboy mags

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Mafia 2 it's a 'mafioso' simulator. It's not about story too (although I agree that it is very good). It's about been a mobster. Because of that you're not always in action. Because there is no way the life of a gangster to be 100% shoting. Has the slow moments, small works, days where you just go get a friend drunk at the bar. So the world is huge but you don't fully explored, because nobody fully explore your city. Whether it is the best way to make a game of this type and still make Mi$$ions, that's another discussion. But Mafia 2 is not a game poorly done as they are saying, is simply a matter of choice.

Somehow reminds me of Kane and Lynch 2. No, no, no ... is not laziness of the developers, not lack of time, not lack of money, much less a lack of talent (these guys did Hitman!). The devs simply believe that the best way to engage the player in a "dog world" history is to make the experience unpleasant. Sure, the characters are unpleasant and are in an unpleasant situation. Kane and Lynch are simply sharing their misery with the player. Note that you receive some shots and instead of dying and restart at the last chek point they'll oblige to drag yourself slowly only to die lest than one inch to next cover spot and now you can restart from the last check point. Misery, misery, misery...

I think the big question is. Everyone gets "blablabla game is art, who says the contrary is stupid." But is that really the players are ready to embark on controversial artistic visions?

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Very good review, although...

Well, couldn't you have used a spoiler warning? When I do decide to play this game, I will do so with the prior knowledge that my sister will disown me at some point... as a result, that sucker-punch effect you described will not happen with me. At all.

not angry... Just some food for thought.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
Interesting discussion Russ. Hope the Escapist doesn't stop publishing stuff like this because of a bit of negative feedback. There are lots of us that like it.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I really hope that I don't come off as rude, but it always gets on my nerves slightly when people say that things "shouldn't be called a game", or "aren't a game". It really gives me the sense that they're subconsciously undermining games as a form of media, below all others and not worthy of high respect.

This was probably not oyur intention Russ.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I don't pay 50-60 bucks for a "cinematic experience"

So far the most ardent defenders of the game have been using "It's NOT GTA!" despite the game set in a vast open world with points of interest, hidden ramps, playboys, wanted posters and easter eggs that begs a player to explore the city.

Do people not see the contradictions that's forced on them?
-We're urged to try and jump those ramps, but die on impact most of the time. (one ramp sends you flying into a group of trees and houses)
-We're told to steal cars for money, but then told its not GTA when we mention lack of other side missions and overall content
-We ask for a free-ride mode, then told "the game is focused on a cinematic experience, and not ment to be anything other than a compelling story...", but then we hear there's DLC that will include free-ride, more missions, and side mission content that will eventually be released which will make the game become what everyone says it isn't.

The major theme of this game is "You can, but you shouldn't"

It's all sounding like a cover to hide the fact there was a screw-up somewhere along the line in the many years of development or hide that DLC was indeed final game content that was removed, only to be resold to make up for the lack of profit on the release version and the DLC is an attempt to recoup more of those losses.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
As much as i liked the overall experience of that Mafia II product, i gotta say the way the story is told made it feel more like a movie than a game. I didn't felt any connection between me, as player and Vito as character i control. The fact that so many events are just scripted and you are forced to fail, long drawn out scenes where nothing happens, joy rides across the city just to make sure my buddy get's to home and decisions Vito makes make him feel more like NPC i get to tell who to shoot rather than a avatar.

Yes in both visual and sound department the game was great, the story was not bad but the lack of interaction other than pointing a gun ruined the whole enjoyment for me. The game lacked the 'life' part to feel proper. All you, as player, can do there is drive the car form point A to point B and shoot guy C.

I guess if i'd be forced to classify the genre of Mafia II i'd say its adventure game with action elements that lacks item management.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Interesting read, I actually felt this way experiencing the 'game' known as Final Fantasy XIII. It's a shame my experience wasn't as immersive as your Mafia II experience.

I do wonder if dissecting such a new game was wise, though. The process required you to discuss important plot points, and you flagged a major one that even you didn't see coming in the narrative.