Mafia III Locked to 30 FPS on PC, 60 FPS Patch Coming Soon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mafia III Locked to 30 FPS on PC, 60 FPS Patch Coming Soon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1354/1354265.jpg
The PC version of Mafia III is currently locked at 30 FPS, but 2K claims a 60 FPS patch is coming soon.

Bad news for the PC gaming master race today, it seems that the PC version of official Mafia blog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mafia%203?os=%20mafia%203] recognizes the problem, and states that a patch is in the works to allow 60 FPS + modes on the PC.

"We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We're verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!"

In an earlier statement, 2K said that "We're actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game's experience to suit their rig's performance."

It seems very strange that this limitation has been applied to the PC version, and certainly doesn't bode well for the quality of the game's PC port. If you're a PC gamer, I would definitely wait for the PC reviews to come in before picking this one up.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-3-appears-to-be-locked-to-30fps-on-pc/]

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
While it's good they recognise that PC gamers generally can and want to run at at least 60 FPS and they're trying to release a patch to do so, I'm wondering why it wasn't there to begin with.
Doesn't affect me, since I probably won't buy the game (never played a Mafia game), but it's still a curiosity.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
So it's most likely going to be a garbage port and a crap ton of issues will arise by patching it up to 60. Straight to the bargain bin with you Mafia III.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And people were so excited too. They could turn it around, but this doesn't instill confidence.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Yeah, that's pretty bad, more so for what it implies about the work put into the port than anything else.

This could get ugly...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
apart from the fps lock pc players seem to be complaining about the low quality of the graphics as well

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
You can already tell its a basic port of a console version, probably Xbone as it still has the basic limitations of said console, in other words bare bones it barely runs type port with no thought given to the platform it is being sold on.
I don't expect to always get better than console games, but I do expect to have a PC game even it is on par with the console, basically coded for the PC and taking that platforms quirks into consideration.

Stupid as hell to be honest, a self perpetuating prophecy, PC market sucks don't spend much for that market wonder why uptake is bad when a sub par scraps of a port is offered - publishers conclude: PC market sucks.

Ah well saved me money.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Remember when they totally disclosed that information before release day? Yeah, me neither. I don't care about the patch. The fact is that they lied in order to secure their precious pre-orders. So fuck them and their game. It's obvious that it's just a basic console port and not a game developed on PC alongside consoles.

Kotoriii

May 9, 2014
Yeah, good thing I'll save up for Civilization VI instead. Let's hope they don't follow this streak of total launch disappointments from recent PC games.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
fps is pointless.

Game is great and im enjoying it even if it feels like its not mafia game

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Veldie said:
fps is pointless.
30 fps constant and with minimal control lag is tolerable, even enjoyable for most people... but many many pc gamers are
suffering stuttering/hitching AND sluggish control with mouse and kb in this game so consider yourself lucky.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
FPS cap isn't even the biggest issue. It's clearly there because the game runs like crap and when they finally unlock the framerate people are gonna be pissed when they discover how badly the game performs on their system.

The biggest issue from what I can tell watching some gameplay videos is hand holding. Holy ************ this game is cluttered with on-screen hints about everything. The HUD is absolutely enormous. And the shit they put on the screen on top of the giant HUD literally takes half the fuckin' screen. Every time you do something the game feels the need to tell you about it by placing a huge motherfuckin' message across the screen. I don't know if the devs think their game is too complex to figure out or if they think that gamers are absolutely fuckin' retarded.

When you trespass into enemy territory there's a giant message across the screen telling you that you're trespassing. You set a wiretap, there's a giant message telling you that you activated a wiretap. When you complete a mission - you guessed it, there's an even bigger message telling you that you completed a mission. And it doesn't just go away after a second. It stays there for 5-10 seconds.

When you select an objective on the map there's a huge message about it waiting for you as soon as you leave the map screen. On top of that there's an actual permanent objective reminder in the upper left corner of the screen and it's fuckin' enormous. So you get to know about your objective three fuckin' times. Once when you select it, once in the form of permanent reminder and once in the form of message reminding you of what you just did half the second ago. Then there's the GPS on the minimap to remind you of where you need to go, just in case you didn't get the hint. But that's not all. You also get a distance marker on the screen to tell you just how far away you are from your objective because the devs don't want you to get lost, I assume. And if the minimap and distance marker weren't enough, if somehow you're the biggest fuckin' retard on the planet and you just can't figure out this game, you're in luck because there are arrows on the side of the road to tell you how to get to your fuckin' objective. And none of this shit can be turned off.

And you don't have to worry about forgetting what button you have to press to enter or leave the car. It's always there. ALWAYS.

JESUS FUCKIN' CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! This is the worst game of the year. It's been practically designed to annoy the living shit out of you. This isn't Mafia 3. It's Hand Holding - The Game.

You know what, scratch that. It's not hand holding. It's breast feeding. It's literally for toddlers who can't survive on their own for 5 minutes.

Apr 5, 2008
If only they didn't sell sub-par games in the first place, they wouldn't need a patch to make them acceptable. But since console gamers are happy with lower quality games, it's understandable game studios will peddle them.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
FPS cap isn't even the biggest issue. It's clearly there because the game runs like crap and when they finally unlock the framerate people are gonna be pissed when they discover how badly the game performs on their system.

The biggest issue from what I can tell watching some gameplay videos is hand holding. Holy ************ this game is cluttered with on-screen hints about everything. The HUD is absolutely enormous. And the shit they put on the screen on top of the giant HUD literally takes half the fuckin' screen. Every time you do something the game feels the need to tell you about it by placing a huge motherfuckin' message across the screen. I don't know if the devs think their game is too complex to figure out or if they think that gamers are absolutely fuckin' retarded.

When you trespass into enemy territory there's a giant message across the screen telling you that you're trespassing. You set a wiretap, there's a giant message telling you that you activated a wiretap. When you complete a mission - you guessed it, there's an even bigger message telling you that you completed a mission. And it doesn't just go away after a second. It stays there for 5-10 seconds.

When you select an objective on the map there's a huge message about it waiting for you as soon as you leave the map screen. On top of that there's an actual permanent objective reminder in the upper left corner of the screen and it's fuckin' enormous. So you get to know about your objective three fuckin' times. Once when you select it, once in the form of permanent reminder and once in the form of message reminding you of what you just did half the second ago. Then there's the GPS on the minimap to remind you of where you need to go, just in case you didn't get the hint. But that's not all. You also get a distance marker on the screen to tell you just how far away you are from your objective because the devs don't want you to get lost, I assume. And if the minimap and distance marker weren't enough, if somehow you're the biggest fuckin' retard on the planet and you just can't figure out this game, you're in luck because there are arrows on the side of the road to tell you how to get to your fuckin' objective. And none of this shit can be turned off.

And you don't have to worry about forgetting what button you have to press to enter or leave the car. It's always there. ALWAYS.

JESUS FUCKIN' CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! This is the worst game of the year. It's been practically designed to annoy the living shit out of you. This isn't Mafia 3. It's Hand Holding - The Game.

You know what, scratch that. It's not hand holding. It's breast feeding. It's literally for toddlers who can't survive on their own for 5 minutes.
Woah! Easy there, sonny jim, you don't think that's a bit too trivial issue to lose your shit over? We get it, you're a big gamer man now who don't need no one telling him how to game. But honestly, is there really no other worry in your life right now than how much a specific videogame decides to inform you of its' details? I can only envy a life that comforting.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I suspect the 30FPS lock itself isn't the biggest issue; it's the implications that come with it that the PC version was a rushed port that didn't take advantage of the platform, and may as a result fall short in other areas.

Accepting pre-orders while not allowing reviewers access early enough to provide timely reviews has only served to exacerbate the problem.

I'm still hopeful that Mafia III will turn out to be worthwhile when all the dust settles and the appropriate patches are out, but I'm certainly not breaking down any doors to acquire it.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Woah! Easy there, sonny jim, you don't think that's a bit too trivial issue to lose your shit over? We get it, you're a big gamer man now who don't need no one telling him how to game. But honestly, is there really no other worry in your life right now than how much a specific videogame decides to inform you of its' details? I can only envy a life that comforting.
Well when the HUD sucks ass and constantly spams messages getting in the way it isn't trivial and takes away from the game, and right if he complains about something it must mean everything else is sunshine and daisy's for him, if you don't want to see people complain about games don't go on a website thats main focus is games.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Breaking news: People can be upset about more than one thing at a time! When you pay $60 for a sub-par game, then I think you're entitled to complain about it on a website devoted to video games. And it serves a valid function for other consumers looking to purchase this game.

I was interested in buying it on PC, but I've heard enough negatives about it that I'm going to wait and see if it gets fixed. 30FPS on PC is not acceptable to me, having giant blurbs on screen telling me I did something right doesn't appeal to me. I'm fine with 30FPS on consoles, on PC I expect to be able to get 60FPS. But one of the most irritating things to come out of the last console generation is the obnoxious "Achievement unlocked: You opened a door!" notifications. It's irritating.

I do have more important things to worry about in life, but when one of my supposed forms of relaxation irritates the hell out of me, I think it's fair game to complain about it on a website devoted to said subjects.