Magazine Apologizes for U.S. vs. Japan Misquote

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Xbox World 360 has apologized for quoting Cliff Bleszinski saying that Japan lags behind the U.S. technologically, a misquote that left the Gears of War [http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/] designer hopping mad.

In the newest issue of Xbox World 360 magazine, Epic [http://www.epicgames.com/] man Cliff Bleszinski compared the videogame industry in Japan with that of North America in a none-too-subtle fashion. "Part of the problem is, technically, Japan just can't keep up with the U.S.," he said.

Except he didn't actually say that at all, or anything even remotely similar. Soon after a report of the interview appeared on Twitter [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=249993]. "Internet tabloid alert: I said *nothing* about Japan not being able to keep up with the US regarding tech," he wrote. "There are plenty of existing and upcoming Japanese titles that look amazing. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those devs."

He also took a shot at game journalists, who he accused of intentionally misquoting people in order to generate heat. "If this 'journalism' continues devs will only be able to recite fact sheets verbatim," he continued. "Websites intentionally publish misquotes and out of context pullquotes to create forum flamewars which generates traffic and profit."

Bleszinski's anger appeared to be directed at CVG but it soon turned out that the real culprit was Xbox World 360, which 'fessed up today. "It's come to our attention that, due to an error in the production process, a quote from Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski has been taken a little out of context," a company rep wrote on its blog [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250212&site=xbw]. "The first sentence of his reply: 'I personally think that part of the problem is, technically, Japan just can't keep up with the US. Would they benefit from using the Unreal Development kit?' should have been part of the QUESTION."

The actual question and answer went more like this:

Q. Epic have plans to move into markets like Japan, Korea and China? I personally think that part of the problem is, technically, Japan just can't keep up with the US... Would they benefit from using the Unreal Development Kit?

A. To be frank, this is largely not my department. It's a strategic decision by Epic to continue to provide Middleware solutions to developers all around the world. My department is: 'Ooh, let's make the fun!' But yes, it's very much a strategic play; knocking on Japanese doors and saying: 'Hey, if you use this you can cut through a lot of the costs of building your own engine plus have a better game that comes out sooner and costs less money.' It's pretty much that simple.

So the interviewer made the comment about Japan lagging behind the U.S. and it somehow ended up attributed to Bleszinski, and that's "a little out of context?" I'd love to see what qualifies as a genuine screw-up over there.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
"I'd love to see what qualifies as a genuine screw-up over there."

I assume something has to catch fire and at least two people need to be injured. Just an assumption.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
sooperman said:

I assume something has to catch fire and at least two people need to be injured. Just an assumption.
I concur, although it at least seems plausible that this could happen, however unlikely.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So the interviewer made the comment about Japan lagging behind the U.S. and it somehow ended up attributed to Bleszinski, and that's "a little out of context?" I'd love to see what qualifies as a genuine screw-up over there.

Perhaps just making up interviews and attributing bad jokes about nuclear assaults to unsuspecting games-developers?

Though I'd never heard of that Mag before and now I have, so that's a win for them ain't it? No such thing as bad publicity.

And I think ALOT of people would agree at the moment that Japanese devs are trailing behind American devs. Personally I can't remember the last Japanese Developed games I considered buying (Resi-5 perhaps) let alone that I actually bought...I was about to say Silent Hill Shattered Memories...but it was dev'd by Climax on the UK for Konami...

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
sooperman said:

And at least one death. But there needs to be a 3:1 injured to dead ratio at least before they admit it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
out of context...it wasnt even said by Cliff, its not part of the context to be out of it XD

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I can just hear the subscription numbers of that mag plummet.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Right from the Sun Newspaper school of journalism.

Although, not nearly as offensive.
I thought the same, well In fact I was thinking about other tabloid newspapers but the idea is the same.

I thought it didn't sound like Cliff when I first read the misquote, surely you would think someone would check the quotes before publishing.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So they should apologise. If your not gonna quote correctly at the end of the day dont quote at all!

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

Part of the problem is, technically, Japan just can't keep up with the U.S

Andy Chalk in Racism shocker.

See, I can do it too.

Geif Journalism job plx.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Baron Khaine said:
Andy Chalk said:

Part of the problem is, technically, Japan just can't keep up with the U.S

Andy Chalk in Racism shocker.

See, I can do it too.

Geif Journalism job plx.
He's not racist, he's just Canadian.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Between this and the whole "Heavy Rain has creepy kids" thing, I almost have to wonder if Cliffy generates some sort of bizarre "quote distortion field."

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Marq said:
Fuck, I'd be mad as hell too. I'd be getting someone fired. Literally put in a fire.
Nah, my guess is that guy got promoted, after all he got quite a bit of attention towards that mag, and thats exactly what they need.