Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Review

Encaen

May 6, 2005
bjj hero said:
Any idea where I can get a PC demo from? The steam version wont download for some reason and I want to test it on my creaking laptop.

I noticed the link on your review is for the android download. Do you lose much playing on a phone?
I'm not sure about a PC Demo other than via Steam. I've not tried the Android version myself, as I typically play on Xbox 360, but the iOS version of Duels 2013 was pretty solid. It did have some minor interface issues, but I assume they've refined the touch screen interface with the latest iteration.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
These reviews still miss out on the most important things for me:
#1- platform. Yeah, it's mentioned *at the end*. Would it not make more sense to put that info at the start so I know if there's any point in reading the actual review?
#2- price. This is not mentioned AT ALL. I get that prices change and there are differences between dollars, euros, koalas, etc. but surely at least giving us a broad idea wouldn't hurt? Something like: 10$, 20$, 60$, free.
#3- DRM or lack thereof.
The difference between always online and not is HUUUUUUGE. Plus, there are even some games without DRM of any kind which is a massive plus in my eyes.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Encaen said:
bjj hero said:
Any idea where I can get a PC demo from? The steam version wont download for some reason and I want to test it on my creaking laptop.

I noticed the link on your review is for the android download. Do you lose much playing on a phone?
I'm not sure about a PC Demo other than via Steam. I've not tried the Android version myself, as I typically play on Xbox 360, but the iOS version of Duels 2013 was pretty solid. It did have some minor interface issues, but I assume they've refined the touch screen interface with the latest iteration.
Cheers.

Looking at the steam forums there is a demo button but no actual demo available on steam. The PC just "thinks" for a bit when you try to download it then carries on like you havent done anything.

Interesting as there is an XBL demo available. Im getting a new phone this month. I may try it on that. Thanks for getting back to me.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
I don't know what the general consensus about the DotP games is like here on the Escapist, but I've played M13 and M14 (and a teeny bit of 2011 and 2012), and I genuinely like M13 more because the pool of existing decks (the pre-built ones) had a wider variety of playstyles, which despite being like, mostly monocolored decks (The DLC fixes this with dual colored decks and a five color one), was really really fun once you got to play with a group of people you know wouldn't play the cheaper decks 24/7.

and then there's M14. Pretty much 7 of the 10 decks there are all creature aggro in some form or way. The ones that aren't suffer from poor construction(The Dmir deck, mostly). It just doesn't have that same quality that I felt the previous deck pools had.

I also feel as if everyone is/was overestimating Sealed. I mean, I'm fairly new to Magic, and I've been told Sealed is really fun (really never done it myself tbh), but the way they handled it here is just...... very limited, I suppose.
The only way I can think to explain this is by comparing it to the other extra modes, I guess
Archenemy>Planechase>Sealed

but hey, I'm no Magic expert, so take this as you will.