Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Deck Building Hands-On

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Deck Building Hands-On

Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers (Duels 2015) offers, for the first time ever, full from-scratch deck building, booster packs, and a particularly angry Garruk.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So is a Playstation release confirmed now? I remember them mentioning that D15 wasn't going to be on Playstation this year.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
+1 for adding Custom Decks (finally)
-1 for gating off an entire set of cards behind microtransactions.

So, basically it's at a zero right now. Your move Wizards.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MTs plus grind, plus extra card limits plus no confirmed PS versions?

I'm less inclined to get this now. The PS bit is simply because I wanted to play with friends who are only on PS3.

But seriously, is anyone surprised they paywalled cards?

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
All I'm hoping for is nonbasic lands. With the recent RtR and Theros blocks, it's so annoying when you happen to lack colours in your mana pool. ^^

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
And here I was excited for the opportunity to build a custom deck for a change, only to discover that a whole slew of cards are going to gated off unless I fork out cash.

Maybe this shouldn't be such a surprise considering it's exactly the TCG model but...come on! They're DIGITAL representations of cardboard! They cost almost nothing to make!

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Soon, they'll have reached the same level of game Microprose released 20 years ago.

And it will only have about 1/3rd the number of cards.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Something I'd like clarified: do the limits on how many cards you can have prevent you from getting unnecessary duplicates in packs? Like, if you buy a pack, will you never get a duplicate mythic or third copy of a rare, or might you get those and simply throw them away? Also, will trading exist? If you can get duplicates and trading is not implemented, then no buy from me. If trading is implemented or duplicates can't happen, then I'll probably buy.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If it was F2P, I'd get the paywall for some of the cards, but these games have always had a base price on top of the micro-transactions. I think this will be the first DotPW game I don't get in quite some time.

I know Hearthstone can't does have some Pay 2 Win elements in it, and it's not as complex of a game, but I think they have a much better system than this... Not only that, the game is a great deal more polished than many of the DotPW games have been.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's so weird to me that the game I'm most interested in at this E3 is a gimped version of Magic :p

Still that seems so fun. I don't ever play multiplayer so the separate cards don't bother me much. It would've been better game design to create some special laborious free thing players could do to unlock those cards (like collecting dust in Hearthstone) but that's just because I love having cards

RedDeadFred said:
If it was F2P, I'd get the paywall for some of the cards, but these games have always had a base price on top of the micro-transactions. I think this will be the first DotPW game I don't get in quite some time.

I know Hearthstone can't does have some Pay 2 Win elements in it, and it's not as complex of a game, but I think they have a much better system than this... Not only that, the game is a great deal more polished than many of the DotPW games have been.
If I had to guess why they're doing this, it's probably because DotP walks this weird line that no other game walks, where they lose if the game isn't fun but they also lose if the game is too fun. That's why you had to buy extra sealed decks in Magic 2014 and you were only ever allowed to buy a certain number of those.

This system gates off cards to all but the most dedicated, and even the most dedicated can only have a certain number of any one card. It sucks, but Wizards has survived for a long time on the business model of getting a lot of new money each year and reinvesting that into furthering and deepening their design and I can see why they'd be cautious about making a video game which shuts off their money tap.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Falterfire said:
So is a Playstation release confirmed now? I remember them mentioning that D15 wasn't going to be on Playstation this year.
I am *really* sorry about that. No, there is no PS release for Duels 2015. I'm accustomed to it coming out on pretty much every platform, so I included it out of habit. I updated the post as soon as I heard from Wizards about my error.

Again, I'm terribly sorry about the mix-up with the PS release.

SlightlyEvil said:
Something I'd like clarified: do the limits on how many cards you can have prevent you from getting unnecessary duplicates in packs? Like, if you buy a pack, will you never get a duplicate mythic or third copy of a rare, or might you get those and simply throw them away? Also, will trading exist? If you can get duplicates and trading is not implemented, then no buy from me. If trading is implemented or duplicates can't happen, then I'll probably buy.
As I understand it, there is no trading. But it did sound like they would simply tailor packs to your collection, so you'll never open a duplicate Mythic. I'm honestly not 100% sure about that, or what happens to your buy a pack option when you've collected the max number of all of the microtransaction-exclusive cards, but I'll reach out right now and try to figure that out.

BrotherRool said:
It's so weird to me that the game I'm most interested in at this E3 is a gimped version of Magic :p
It's not just you, I assure you. Until I saw Project Morpheus and 2K's showings on Thursday afternoon, the show for me was highlighted by Diablo 3 on Consoles (which I've played extensively on PC already) and Duels 2015 (which I've played every iteration of to completion.)

Fortunately, 2K really brought its A-game with Borderlands, Civ Beyond Earth, and Evolve, the last of which I'm torn on, but can't deny having a great time with.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Encaen said:
SlightlyEvil said:
As I understand it, there is no trading. But it did sound like they would simply tailor packs to your collection, so you'll never open a duplicate Mythic. I'm honestly not 100% sure about that, or what happens to your buy a pack option when you've collected the max number of all of the microtransaction-exclusive cards, but I'll reach out right now and try to figure that out.
I heard back from Wizards on the duplicates front. Earned and Premium Packs will be tailored to ensure you don't get unusable cards. Additionally, you can only purchase a specific number of premium packs, so you can't ever pay for cards you can't use. Hope that helps!

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Full on deck building hidden behind micro transactions? Guess I'll stick with cockatrice and my Legacy deck.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Cant wait to play this with my friend!

Oh thats right, they shelved 2HG for Duels this year.

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.