Magicka 2 Review - Still Crossing The Streams

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Magicka 2 Review - Still Crossing The Streams

Magicka 2 only makes the smallest changes to its wizard-killing formula - which means you're still blowing up teammates in Midgard.

Read Full Article

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Some other things worth mentioning:
- game requires not only Steam but for you to create an additional Paradox account and link your Steam account to them (I'm sure that won't turn out to cause an exponential increase in problems...)
- if your ever lose internet connectivity the game gets stuck (can only close it forcefully), possibly a bug but for now it makes the game always online
- because they kept the single save/checkpoint system all progress between checkpoints is lost should the game encounter problems
- Alt-Tab is more then likely to screw up the game completely
- no key re-bindings, not mouse, not keyboard, not gamepad
- main menu comes with it's own scrolling advertisement bar, and no you can't make it go away

The rest is pretty well described in the review, you get more of Magicka 1.
Sadly the magic has been "rebalanced" so all the really crazy combos either don't work or their effects became very anaemic, rock walls snap like twigs so where you could give yourself breathing space previously now enemies just bum rush through everything, your character also seems to slide as if on ice and there are a lot less special spells.
Graphics and bug fixes are nice, otherwise this game got downgraded.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Smooth Operator said:
Some other things worth mentioning:
- game requires not only Steam but for you to create an additional Paradox account and link your Steam account to them (I'm sure that won't turn out to cause an exponential increase in problems...)
- if your ever lose internet connectivity the game gets stuck (can only close it forcefully), possibly a bug but for now it makes the game always online
Didn't find the extra account to be especially obtrusive. It's no Games for Windows Live. And any internet drops I had didn't seem to cause problems, but the game is still playable offline.

Smooth Operator said:
- because they kept the single save/checkpoint system all progress between checkpoints is lost should the game encounter problems
I find the checkpoints to be a lot more frequent now, so you're less likely to lose progress. Did you have an example though?

Smooth Operator said:
- Alt-Tab is more then likely to screw up the game completely
I admit I didn't do this during gameplay, but I Alt-Tabbed from the main menu constantly while streaming and was fine most of the time.

Smooth Operator said:
- no key re-bindings, not mouse, not keyboard, not gamepad
- main menu comes with it's own scrolling advertisement bar, and no you can't make it go away
Fair enough on the rebindings, but my players at least found it all very functional as it stood. Never felt bothered by the Magicka ad bar, which was just advertising Magicka 2 most of the time anyway... didn't Magicka 1 have its own version?