Magneto Leads The X-Men In E Is For Extinction

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Magneto Leads The X-Men In E Is For Extinction

Marvel Comics E Is For Extinction puts a Secret Wars spin on Grant Morrison's New X-Men - complete with making Magneto the team leader.

There are countless wonderful <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/x-men>X-Men storylines out there, but if I had to choose, my personal favorite run would be Grant Morrison's New X-Men. This arc brought the villainous Emma Frost on the team, introduced the concept of secondary mutations, and actually treated the X-Men like a school instead of a mutant training center. So I was very excited to hear that <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/secret+wars>Secret Wars will be revisiting the era with E Is For Extinction, with a major twist. In the Battleworld version of E, the fan-favorite characters from Xorn's "special class" are the X-Men - led by Xavier's old nemesis Magneto.

Battleworld's E Is For Extinction replaces the X-Men with characters like Beak, Angel Salvadore, Basilisk, and Martha Johansson, all under the leadership of Magneto. But that's not the only major change: Somehow this Battleworld sector has fully embraced mutants and accepts them as superior to humans. That creates a very different environment when the team faces New X-Men threats, such as the U-Men who augment themselves with mutant body parts, or the original X-Men themselves.

Written by Chris Burnham with art from Ramon Villalobos, almost every original New X-Men character will appear in this version - including the Stepford Cuckoos and Quentin Quire. "It's almost an alternate timeline version of [New X-Men]", <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-men-revisit-e-is-for-extinction-during-secret-wars>Burnham explains. "It's almost like another take on events from the first issue and spin wildly out of control from there. It's not quite a 'What If...?' or alternate timeline, it's just coming out of the Secret Wars events."

[gallery=4218]

All told, I can't decide if E Is For Extinction is a massive overhaul to my favorite X-Men storyline, or a great opportunity to revisit old friends. We'll find out when the comic launches on June 24, 2015.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/24673/magneto_and_his_new_x-men_wage_war_in_your_new_look_at_e_is_for_extinction_1>Marvel

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
From looking at the pages I almost thought Frank Quitely was doing the art. But he could never keep up with Marvel's release schedule. Still looks very surreal, in an 80s MTV kinda way.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Magneto as leader of the X-men. Never seen that before............

That being said X-men has been quite good recently so I might give it a shot.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Wow whoever is doing those interiors has Quitley's style down. I'm not sure how to feel about this since i loved Morrison's run so much and all the x-men runs that came after have seemed to be about slowly undoing what he did.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Azex said:
Wow whoever is doing those interiors has Quitley's style down. I'm not sure how to feel about this since i loved Morrison's run so much and all the x-men runs that came after have seemed to be about slowly undoing what he did.
Morrison had a great run, and he injected some much-needed new ideas, but Marvel editorial was absolutely right to undo the "Planet X" storyline (where Magneto goes completely out of character and then dies) as soon as they possibly could. Claremont made the same mistake with the Siege Perilous arc at the end of his run, too - you don't throw away your best characters for the sake of some much less interesting side villain. Unfortunately, they got Chuck Austen to "explain" the retcon and it was pretty embarrassing.

Aside from that part, almost everything else Morrison did is still pretty relevant. There's actual schoolchildren at the school (with most of Morrison's students), Emma Frost is still a central character, and the stock of Phoenix-related shenanigans, alternate future X-Men, and city-in-a-bottle setups has never been higher.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Robyrt said:
Morrison had a great run, and he injected some much-needed new ideas, but Marvel editorial was absolutely right to undo the "Planet X" storyline (where Magneto goes completely out of character and then dies) as soon as they possibly could. Claremont made the same mistake with the Siege Perilous arc at the end of his run, too - you don't throw away your best characters for the sake of some much less interesting side villain. Unfortunately, they got Chuck Austen to "explain" the retcon and it was pretty embarrassing.

Aside from that part, almost everything else Morrison did is still pretty relevant. There's actual schoolchildren at the school (with most of Morrison's students), Emma Frost is still a central character, and the stock of Phoenix-related shenanigans, alternate future X-Men, and city-in-a-bottle setups has never been higher.
I mostly agree. Morrison introduced a lot of ideas, but he never bothered developing them into anything interesting. That was mostly done by other writers on other books. Fantomx wasn't interesting until Frank Terri put him in Weapon X. Beak wasn't even tolerable until he became an Exile. The idea of mutant as a sub-culture was introduced and then dropped until the District X book picked it up. And I'm pretty sure Chris Claremont did more with X-Corp than Morrison ever did.