Mahalo: Star Wars The Old Republic: Jedi Knight

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
TheBobmus said:
... what is this I don't even...
This appears to be 10 minutes of un-narrated Let's Play. I don't really get its point, at all. Is this a partnership with a less-interesting game video maker, like the whole GINX thing? It's not working, at least right now.
This, I though the Skyrim one was bad, but at least it showed some work even if the makers didn't knew how to play a rogue. The new vid is... confusing, why even do it?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Draconalis said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Most successful MMO launch in history--highest retention rate and highest number of paying subscribers.

That is all.
Not that I particularly agree or disagree... but... citation please. Back your claim up with some sources and numbers. I'm curious.
He is right in the lauch part as you can corroborate here; the second place goes to the unprecedented sucess Aion, who could forget such an amazing... wait what? lolz.

The highest retention... well... he can't be serious there, talking about a 3 month old MMO game retention rates is hilarious as a joke, but sad as anything else.

Now, highest number of paying suscribers? Wow... i mean if you say the almost 2 million current is higher than 10 mill + of wow or 2.5 mill + of Aion... you are using some pretty wicked maths.

Overal ToR has been sucessful, not amazingly so but not too shabby, just what one would expect from a project of that size. It will keep going and probably be roflstomped at some point by a new MMO by someone focused on the MMO part and not the RPG part.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Kimarous said:
This is just a compilation of cutscenes haphazardly slapped together. I have no clue how you think that is "promotional" material, especially since it's ten minutes of virtually nothing but dialogue.
I think anything that "promotes" the game is considered a promo video. It's not an official promo video, but it looked like a Machinima quickly showing a taste of the basics of the game.

And it showed combat as well as dialogue.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for coming Mahalo. Please leave now. And don't let the door hit you on the way out. I don't want ass prints on our door...

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Lex Darko said:
It's getting so much crap because it's only showing half the dialogue and many of the player responses are cut out.

Tython has at least 30 mins of pure dialogue even if you cut out all the combat and travel and ignore the side quest.

They cut it down to 10 mins pretty much skipping over 66% of the Tython story.
Yeah, but showing the whole mission would imply that they'd be making a 30 minute video.

I'm not saying that this is good by any means, I'm merely saying that everyone here is riding the hate train because the tickets are free and all the cool kids are doing it.

Is it a little pointless? Sure

Does it deserve this level of hate? Not at all.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
Lex Darko said:
It's getting so much crap because it's only showing half the dialogue and many of the player responses are cut out.

Tython has at least 30 mins of pure dialogue even if you cut out all the combat and travel and ignore the side quest.

Yeah, but showing the whole mission would imply that they'd be making a 30 minute video.

I'm not saying that this is good by any means, I'm merely saying that everyone here is riding the hate train because the tickets are free and all the cool kids are doing it.

We're a demanding bunch. If a featured video series (which this potentially is) doesn't bring something new to the table it shouldn't be a featured video series. It's one thing for a random guy to post something like this in the reviews forum but this kind of video shouldn't have the backing of the website. Not when we already have high quality shows.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Kimarous said:
This is just a compilation of cutscenes haphazardly slapped together. I have no clue how you think that is "promotional" material, especially since it's ten minutes of virtually nothing but dialogue.
I think anything that "promotes" the game is considered a promo video. It's not an official promo video, but it looked like a Machinima quickly showing a taste of the basics of the game.

And it showed combat as well as dialogue.
TEN MINUTES IS NOT QUICK!

Also, ANYTHING that promotes the game? By that logic, this is a perfectly fine Skyrim promo. Truly we should have all-encompassing standards like you.

JoesshittyOs said:

1) Yeah, that's why we're pissed! If you're going to pretty much show the entire mission, show the entirely bloody mission! It's too long to be considered brief and too clipped down to be considered full exposition.

2) Oh yes, we are all just hopping on the hate bandwagon. It's not like we can be legitimately angry and disgusted with it!

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Lex Darko said:

Okay, first, there are no "cool kids" on this site, and second, the videos are getting hate because they're complete rubbish. If you make rubbish and show it to everyone, they're going to say it's rubbish.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
If these videos are meant to be adverts for SWTOR,,then they're badly edited, and pretty low quality. Bioware should ask for their money back.

If it's meant to be a Let's Play, it should actually show more gameplay, and be less hacked to pieces in the cutscenes too.

Basically they're badly made, and a total waste of time for all concerned. I hope nobody's paying for these things.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
General Vengeance said:
If you were trying to convince me that Star Wars The Old Republic will be free to play within 12 months, well guess what?

You just convinced me.
Most successful MMO launch in history--highest retention rate and highest number of paying subscribers.
That is all.
It's not as much about getting the subscribers as it is about keeping them. And lot of people seem to be rather disappointed (for various reasons). I'd love to try it, but when I want to play game for story I sure as hell don't want to pay for it monthly >_<

beniki

May 28, 2009
The start of the Jedi Knight story puts me to sleep when I'm actually playing it... not sure why I'd want to see a badly edited version of it. Why not one of the interesting stories? Or were you just testing out the classes and left fraps on?

Not even sure why the editor thought this was a good idea.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Tanakh said:
Draconalis said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

That is all.
Not that I particularly agree or disagree... but... citation please. Back your claim up with some sources and numbers. I'm curious.
He is right in the lauch part as you can corroborate here; the second place goes to the unprecedented sucess Aion, who could forget such an amazing... wait what? lolz.

The highest retention... well... he can't be serious there, talking about a 3 month old MMO game retention rates is hilarious as a joke, but sad as anything else.

Now, highest number of paying suscribers? Wow... i mean if you say the almost 2 million current is higher than 10 mill + of wow or 2.5 mill + of Aion... you are using some pretty wicked maths.

Looks to me like he is using Copywright mathmatics for his estimation on SWTOR's subscriber base.