Mahalo: Street Fighter X Tekken - Best and Worst Characters

Mahalo

Feb 22, 2012
Street Fighter X Tekken - Best and Worst Characters

This week we give you the best and worst characters in Street Fighter X Tekken.

Watch Video

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
No mention of Bob, Steve, or Hworang, any of the characters that are constantly taking Top 4 at the big events?

Okay, whatever.
Or Lili. Everyone seems to be using Lili online. Hugo as well.

And IDC what anyone says, Rolento is OP.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
No mention of Bob, Steve, or Hworang, any of the characters that are constantly taking Top 4 at the big events?

Okay, whatever.
I think this is more of a general run down on the game for normal players, rather than one directed at masterful fighting game players. This is why he mentioned things like the ease of move execution and familiarity, and was careful to point out that a good player can make any character work well.

Speaking for myself when I rate characters I tend to look not so much at how many options a character has in various situations in absolute terms, but their general ease of use and the power-to-inputs ratio. For example Ken and Ryu are ridiculously easy for people to play because of how powerful and versatile their ranged attacks are, many characters can counter things like their ranged easily... but only if the person playing them knows how, and has oftentime mastered precise movements that are substantially harder than the reflexive D,F+P, the whirlwind kick which is the same thing in reverse with a K replacing the P (D, B +K) is another really powerful and versatile move, and then you have the infamous Dragon Punch which is a little harder to pull off, but still overrides nearly everything, for what is still fairly trivial effort and mastery.

I'd agree that the two main Shotos would probably be nothing special if their basic specials were re-coded to have move inputs more proportional to their results and versatility.

I tend to agree with the guy doing this video that his selections are good ones for a fairly new or average player to get satisfying results with. A complete scrub playing with one of those characters is liable to get better results than if he chose a character that is generally "higher tier" but requires more skill to use properly.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
An odd list, though Ryu and Ken are definitely generally considered top and Yoshi is almost definitely at the bottom. Thing is, the reasons given in the video aren't really why the good characters are so good. SFxT is a game about poking and pressure (aka footsies), where one intelligently placed hit can lead to huge damage. It rewards really knowing your spacing and what you can do safely. One of the main reasons characters like Ryu and Rolento are so dominant right now is because they have very safe pressure in the form of their standing jabs. You can literally just step forward jab, step forward jab, etc. and create a very difficult wall for most characters to deal with without "wasting" meter.

The video also places way too much weight on tricky movement. Tricky movement helps, sure, but if you have a fundamentally weak or predicatable character it doesn't really matter how many teleporting moves they have, which is why Raven isn't that highly valued amongst knowledgeable players. His moves work very well in combos but without an assist system like in Marvel, you're not likely to really "trick" anyone all that often if they know what they're doing.

basically, the video is more of a "easy characters to get easy wins with" list than a real tier list.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Therumancer said:

Okay, whatever.
I think this is more of a general run down on the game for normal players, rather than one directed at masterful fighting game players. This is why he mentioned things like the ease of move execution and familiarity, and was careful to point out that a good player can make any character work well.

Speaking for myself when I rate characters I tend to look not so much at how many options a character has in various situations in absolute terms, but their general ease of use and the power-to-inputs ratio. For example Ken and Ryu are ridiculously easy for people to play because of how powerful and versatile their ranged attacks are, many characters can counter things like their ranged easily... but only if the person playing them knows how, and has oftentime mastered precise movements that are substantially harder than the reflexive D,F+P, the whirlwind kick which is the same thing in reverse with a K replacing the P (D, B +K) is another really powerful and versatile move, and then you have the infamous Dragon Punch which is a little harder to pull off, but still overrides nearly everything, for what is still fairly trivial effort and mastery.

I'd agree that the two main Shotos would probably be nothing special if their basic specials were re-coded to have move inputs more proportional to their results and versatility.

I tend to agree with the guy doing this video that his selections are good ones for a fairly new or average player to get satisfying results with. A complete scrub playing with one of those characters is liable to get better results than if he chose a character that is generally "higher tier" but requires more skill to use properly.
While I can agree to that, there was no qualifier in the title. Hence, it seemed the video was going with "Best Overall Characters" not "Best Characters For Starters"

Ryu is a B-Tier character at best because of the low priority on his DP and his slower links. Ken is A, but Bob has been so overwhelming, he's approching SS-Tier, reserved in Capcom games for characters that are effectively broken (Yun in Third Strike, Sagat in Street Fighter 4 before Super came out, etc)
True, but that title wouldn't have really worked, not being too the point enough. I think he explained himself and included enough disclaimers in the video itself.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
At this point, I'd say the OP's are Rolento, Ogre, and in the hands of a skilled player, Kazuya. That character has broken air juggles up the wazoo.

I use Ryu and Ken for the same reasons the reviewer mentions. They're easy, balanced, and are similar enough that you don't have to switch gears very hard mentally. I've won quite a bit with those two, but in a pinch, I stick with Ken.

Akuma kind of got nerfed a bit in this game, and the switching mechanic almost requires you to develop inifites not to get hammered in some situations. However, this one is far and beyond a more overall balanced game than MvC3. I've pretty much loved it from the word go, except for the now traditional Capcom wallet-raping tactics.

Expect to see Rolento and Ogre banned at most Tournaments, except for the ones that go "No Holds Barred".

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Huh so they made one on my favourite Tekken characters the worst? Another reason not to get this game... But It's the DLC that really annoyed me. Shame since these are my two favourite fighters :(

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I noticed that people who use Cole McGrath tend to rock faces all over the places considering his range of 'fireball' moves and how he has huge hitboxes with melee.

Ibuki, Rolento, Jin, Bob, and Cole. Seem to get the most results for me.

Moffman said:
Huh so they made one on my favourite Tekken characters the worst? Another reason not to get this game... But It's the DLC that really annoyed me. Shame since these are my two favourite fighters :(
They kept his moves intact from Tekken it's just all those moves he has where he gets stunned after he does them suck for the pace of street fighter.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Hazy992 said:

Okay, whatever.
Or Lili. Everyone seems to be using Lili online. Hugo as well.

And IDC what anyone says, Rolento is OP.
For a big guy, Hugo has some rather fast combos and set ups. It's his approach that sucks. Also, from what I've seen while watching matches with him, his chip damage is ridiculously OP. The light jab into handclap two-step is very fast to chain, and it can be done over and over with little chance for punishment.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
CronoT said:
At this point, I'd say the OP's are Rolento, Ogre, and in the hands of a skilled player, Kazuya. That character has broken air juggles up the wazoo.

I use Ryu and Ken for the same reasons the reviewer mentions. They're easy, balanced, and are similar enough that you don't have to switch gears very hard mentally. I've won quite a bit with those two, but in a pinch, I stick with Ken.

Akuma kind of got nerfed a bit in this game, and the switching mechanic almost requires you to develop inifites not to get hammered in some situations. However, this one is far and beyond a more overall balanced game than MvC3. I've pretty much loved it from the word go, except for the now traditional Capcom wallet-raping tactics.

Expect to see Rolento and Ogre banned at most Tournaments, except for the ones that go "No Holds Barred".
I wouldn't call it a LOT more balanced than MvC3

MvC3 viable characters: Wesker, Spencer, Sentinel, Dante, Vergil, Ghost Rider, Morrigan, Wolverine, Storm, Doom, Magneto, Iron Fist, Strider, Akuma

That's a pretty fair chunk of the roster that are usable. May not be perfect balance, but it's not bad.
When I say it's more balanced, I mean that it's nowhere near as easy to chain infinite combos together over and over, and that the game rewards patience and strategy, instead of MvC3's endless button mashing. Half the characters you mention essentially have combos built in; all you have to do is a Simon-like game of pressing the buttons in the right order, and the game is essentially over.

If you get beat with a perfect on SFIV or SFxTK, you either got outclassed, or you played a sloppy game. Half the time I play MvC3 these days, I feel less like a player in the game, and more like a colorful punching bag being bounced around the screen.