Mahalo: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: The Rogue

Mahalo

Feb 22, 2012
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: The Rogue

Whether you're new to the game or simply looking for inspiration on your next alternate characters, we've brought you a basic breakdown of the classic adventuring archetypes.

Watch Video

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Is Skyrim really so complicated that we need videos explaining the basic classes?
Honestly, this seems a little pointless. If it was more complicated, that'd be understandable, but c'mon, it's Skyrim.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I find having a companion with me to be a crippling factor when playing as a rouge. They just constantly get in the way and blow my cover.
It's easier to jump from shadow to shadow while smacking them with volleys of arrows.
Also, you can totally run a rouge who dons heavy armor, you just need the spell "Muffle" so that your armor doesn't make any noise.

Lastly, if you're shooting for a rouge, you really need to rely on daggers more than the bow and arrow. After you get the perk that multiplies your daggers sneak attack by 15 you'll really only use the bow and arrow to pick off some sentries before going in for the kill like you would in Assassins Creed.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Companions? Bows? Come back and remake this video once you actually max out the stealth skills and get the Dark Brotherhood gear. Companions draw attention to you as well as to themselves when you should be rolling around backstabbing everyone for 30X damage. Even if you insist on focusing on bows, you do much much better taking a single shot, running away, then coming back for more. With a companion, as soon as the little red skull appears on the compass they charge in and wake up every single drauger in the whole level.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Lol @ companions being "helpful" for stealth chars.
They're the most annoying thing ever since they get beaten to shit, get up, then run straight to where you're hiding with a horde of enemies behind them.
Super helpful yeah...

Triality

May 9, 2011
Wow, sure is bad advice around here.

Without needing to reiterate what other's have said here, Skyrim's companion and horse systems are weak as
you cannot give your sidekick simple commands to have them defend, attack, or retreat (last one perhaps is the most important!), and with the horse a way to summon it if it wanders off; the stupid ass. Would have been nice if the horse would also run for shelter during a fight. I do not look at the horse as a faster set of legs. I look at it as a faster bag of 1000 gold. I went through 4 horses before getting Shadowmere. I even dried up the stables at Whiterun.

Instead what does companion offer? A text based menu option to enable single click interaction which is only useful in non-combat environments.

Uncleblaze

Sep 7, 2009
nice work mahalo. I'm from hawaii as well. lets see some more videos from you and also maybe a little more indepth?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
It should also be noted that for a stealth heavy build Illusion magic can be almost game breakingly good. Muffle early on is an easy way to level the school and can free up wearing set boots with it enchanted until you can get a non unique pair to disenchant for future boots of your choosing. Lets not even get started on invisibility.

Personally the last stealth heavy char I made was an Argonian who skipped past all the Dragonborn nonsense and went straight to the Thieves guild quests. I managed to do all of them without killing a single person with good use of distractions, illusions spells and old fashion patience. In fact one quest actually upset me because I was to retrieve an item stolen by a thug passing his rabble off as thieves and then burn his groups banner in their own hold. However when I did so the journal updated and said that I had killed the man and taken the item instead of sneaking in and out like a proper thief would.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Class video's for Skyrim? I don't think anyone, ever, anywhere actually thought of wanting to see one of these...

Especially not with audio levels that shift very noticeably several times during the video. Even more so because the 'advice' given is kind of ridiculous.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I suppose this show could go somewhere with some extra work. Don't let this one die out, please. I hate it when that happens.

And stop ripping off Stupid Obvious information Magazine!

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Is this a joke/troll video or something? It's like the worst attempt at playing a Rogue I've ever seen. He got I think maybe 1 sneak attack in the whole video? And Lydia? WTF? The whole video boils down to "use companion as bait while totally failing to sneak attack anything at all". It doesn't cover anything like alchemy or theft.

Mr. Mahalo, this was not helpful at all.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]Companions? Bows? Come back and remake this video once you actually max out the stealth skills and get the Dark Brotherhood gear. Companions draw attention to you as well as to themselves when you should be rolling around backstabbing everyone for 30X damage. Even if you insist on focusing on bows, you do much much better taking a single shot, running away, then coming back for more. With a companion, as soon as the little red skull appears on the compass they charge in and wake up every single drauger in the whole level.
Could not have put it better myself.Any decent rogue should grind the stealth skill and pick up a dagger.Then remeber the shadows are a rogue type best friend so having companions around will just get you spotted easier.Plus 30x damage for daggers is always going to beat a bow in a fight while leaving your other hand free to carry another weapon or spell if things go bad.

I wish people would get over rogues should be good with bows as i play rogues all the time and rarely use a bow.As it gives away your postion while your still a distance from your target and rogues should be built to do as much damage as quickly as possible.With a bow you can not do as much damage as quickly when close up like you can with weapons

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Is Skyrim really so complicated that we need videos explaining the basic classes?
Honestly, this seems a little pointless. If it was more complicated, that'd be understandable, but c'mon, it's Skyrim.
Not only that, but i completely disagree with him. I NEVER take a companion with me. My least favourite thieves guild quests were ones where I was forced to have a companion(s) with me, as although they will duck down when I did; they would trigger traps which I'd avoided but get caught in anyway causing enemies to notice our presence. And as far as I know, I never got a sneak attack bonus against an enemy that was in combat with an ally.

No, being the sneaky bow class for me meant that I got the much more exhilirating experience of dancing in the darkness as enemies who could take more than one arrow to the neck desperately searched for me.

Guy Jackson said:
Is this a joke/troll video or something? It's like the worst attempt at playing a Rogue I've ever seen. He got I think maybe 1 sneak attack in the whole video? And Lydia? WTF? The whole video boils down to "use companion as bait while totally failing to sneak attack anything at all". It doesn't cover anything like alchemy or theft.

Mr. Mahalo, this was not helpful at all.
and you've pretty much summed up the rest of my points. Thank you :)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Kwil said:
This explains Skyrim sneaking in a much better way, I think:
I don't want to speak for Bethy or just assume anything, but there's an easy way to explain why enemies give up so easily--the dialogue doesn't back it up though, so they kind of dropped the ball there. Just like in Deus Ex HR, after being detected enemies will look for you then assume you've ran away and go back to what they were doing.

OT:
I think this is interesting, but please do add some more complexity to it, like things no would think of on their own.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I personally didn't notice a difference while playing a sneaky archer while wearing Space Marine issue Dwarven armour.

I did notice a difference playing with a companion or a horse. They distract enemies yes, but they get in the way of your well placed shots and even ruin a perfect shot by drawing an enemy out of your line of fire.

My motto when playing a Rogue in Skyrim is;
If you're playing as Robin Hood, you don't need his merry men.