Mahalo: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: The Rogue

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
It's unfortunate that they called this a "Rogue" video. If they had called it an "Archer" video, it might have had a bit more merit. It wouldn't have been great advice, but it wouldn't have been BAD advice.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I actually find this video insulting...

Some of the advice was just plain obvious and could have been summed up as "use the sneak button" and then the other half of advice was just bad advice. Companions good for stealth classes? Not a chance.

Are there going to be any more of these videos? What will you tell us about how to play a warrior class? "As you can see the warrior uses heavy armor and attacks things at close range" here's a tip: Try giving us helpful advice about things most people wouldn't think of on their own, with a more in depth description of the class you're talking about. Like maybe the various skills, perks, enchants and potions that are helpful to them. Not completely obvious things that even the worst player could figure out.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Webb Myers said:
It's unfortunate that they called this a "Rogue" video. If they had called it an "Archer" video, it might have had a bit more merit. It wouldn't have been great advice, but it wouldn't have been BAD advice.
Lydia... Lydia... Lydia! LYDIA!!!

Lydia: WHAT?!

Danger zone

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
leviadragon99 said:
Of course if you get the right perks, heavy armour can be just as effective or at least nearly as effective as light armour for sneaking in/in terms of general mobility, thus negating the disadvantages and making heavy armour really the only worthwhile armour.
By that time you can easly reach the armor cap with a light armor, negating the advantages of heavy ones and making armor little more than aestetic choices.

Also, I do join the choir, terrible vid. The only good thing is that the video is so bad it probably won't mislead anyone into following it's suggestions.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
that was pretty crappy advise.
companions get in the way of stealth and that you are better off being alone if possible(during some quests people will have to be with you and that should be the only time you don't work alone)

the moment this guy mentioned use companions is the moment it was obvious he had no clue what the fuck he was taking about
also how about going in to more detail about the other stealth based skills
there is Light Armor, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Sneak, Alchemy, and Speech.
he only went into light armor and sneak. he could have explained each individual perk did in a tree, explained things about alchemy(like poisons), what perks are not worth putting points towards(like the whole lockpicking tree), using pick-pocketing, etc. there are so many things that he could have explained Then again he would probably fail at explaining them too.
my experience(i am playing as a stealth character who is near a little bit above level 40)

seriously escapist why is this even letting him make videos on this site. if i had the equipment i could have made a better video then this.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Steve Butts said:
Thanks for all the feedback! We've commissioned Mahalo to produce videos in a number of different formats for us and this is their first effort. There are always some rough edges to work out in any series, both in terms of concept and overall production, but I'm confident that the value of these videos will grow over time. We've got two more in this particular series then we'll be switching gears to some more story-focused concepts for more recent games in the coming weeks.

Keep letting us know what you think!
Steve, I just want to point this out, but if the overwhelming response to a new video series is negative, do you not think it might be better to skip the next two videos you had planned in the mini-series and go for something that isn't the exact same? So far this has been a bad introduction for a new series, and sticking to the current theme for 3 weeks will leave a bad taste in viewers? mouths if the following videos on the subject are of the same quality.

My point being is that if you stick to your guns here and decide to finish the mini-series on Skyrim, but do not have drastically better explanations, I think all that will happen for this series is that is mocked for a couple weeks before taking its spot between Apocalypse Lane and Creature Caster Masters.

Also, I would like to ask what the exact objective of this series is. I mean, this essentially feels like a bit of a glorified tutorial, and not even a good one at that. It is so basic in what it presents that it feels like someone had just read the manual. I have the actual Skyrim Guide here beside me as well, with a section on classes, and the summary it provides covers far more tactics and strategies for playing one that the two minute video that I had just viewed. And it's not even half a page in length. Why doesn't this video go into detail on what other skills that aren't under the rogue tree also work well (Like Illusion)? Why doesn't it tell me how I should focus my stats when I level (Should I put points into Health? Magicka? Stamina?)? Why doesn't it tell me what perks work well for a Rogue, and which ones I should focus on getting from the start? Whenever someone asks me what is a good way to build a character, these are some of the most basic questions you can answer, and yet here, they are skipped and ignored.

I don't really feel like the Escapist Community is one that is having major trouble completing games out of difficulty. It is neither informative nor funny, so it doesn't feel at all engaging to watch and the subject matter really doesn't seem suited for this site. If it was more informative and in-depth, it would be able to provide insight that maybe a more casual or newer player may have missed, and give them new ideas to use the next time they boot it up. If it was funny, it would at least be made bearable and people would get a kick out of watching it despite it perhaps not being the most accurate or detailed walkthrough. With neither of these, it feels very dry to view and not in the least bit engaging.

I know I'm just one user amongst thousands, but I feel that if something major isn't done here to either rework or improve this new series, it'll soon be found amongst the Archived Videos section. As it stands, it is something that I can't at all see myself recommending to friends or even other users on this site, and when starting a new series, this is the most vital thing to try and achieve.

I hope we can see better from this series in the future.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Good to see the escapist's warm up to this new show!

Oh wait they are whining incessantly and calling a simple advice video UNACCEPTABLE?!?!

You'll all butter up to it eventually, happened with the Jimquisition, it will happen to this.
Yeah, like Game Dogs, right? Right?

Also, this is a 2.5 minutes long video with shitty content, unreliable advices that are counter-intuitive (companions for stealth types?), ignoring x30 dagger damage potential and perma stealth, it makes look like the person making the video just got the game and hasn't had time to play even to level 20.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
I don't know, Faendal has yet to let me down, he stays out of the way for the most part and picks them off with the bow I so graciously gave him, also he's a loyal pack mule through the dungeon.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
You can't be a rogue in Skyrim... you can be a thief and thats it. I don't care what the developers may think, but I see no evidense of bard abilities.

Also fuck the "mage class". I hate that stupid loophole.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
meh, i just picked heavy armour paladin / warrior hybrid it's completely pointlessly overpowered i can just charge large groups of ememies and expect to kill them in seconds

dosent really matter what class you pick in skyrim, if you max out alchemy, blacksmithing and enchanting you're pretty-much invincible anyway

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Well me then going as an archer with kleptomaniac symptoms (ie sneak/pickpocketing/lock-picking) with heavy daedric armor heavily enchanted mad by me as a super blacksmith, with minor tendencies of magic using lone wolf (because those companions usually only gets in the way)...
Any good categorizing there?

Oh an for the quality etc of this feature:
Escapist isn't really the place you go for first REALLY basic tutorial... To many people here have over 50h in Skyrim. Me I have a rather low 80h and I have hardly even begun the main quest.(I think, I lost myself in all these minor quests and bloody dragons that keeps disturbing me...)
And I would probably not chosen Skyrim as first choice for a new video feature since it's a to big game in all meanings of the word, and it's been out for far to long so there's probably more tutorials on how to play than there is stars in the Skyrim sky...
Oh and this video would need more in depth or more "show off" how to do it to make it a decent watch.("rouge" play style+companion=!good mix..) Not that I expect new features to be as good as ZP, but this was a bit to low quality...

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:

Oh wait they are whining incessantly and calling a simple advice video UNACCEPTABLE?!?!

You'll all butter up to it eventually, happened with the Jimquisition, it will happen to this.
The Jimquisition actually improved. And to be honest, I still find his self-effacing "thank god for me" bullshit annoying. He just happens to bring unique and well-thought-out viewpoints to controversial topics, and while he's not ALWAYS right, he's honestly not wrong very often.

This... this is advice nobody would find useful for a game that doesn't need this kind of advice made by people who don't know the first thing about the build. As you'd have seen if you'd read the comments instead of just denouncing us as "whiners", anyone who's played the game for more than five minutes can come to BETTER conclusions than these morons.

And even if this improves, and they're talking about stuff you wouldn't think of on your own? It's still a series that provides advice on a SINGLE GAME. The moment something more popular comes out, this is going to be dismissed as quaint, useless drivel. If it hasn't been already.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Worst. Stealth. Advice. Ever.

1. If you aren't one shotting almost everything with a bow or dagger you are doing it wrong.

2. If you EVER get detected without doing so intentionally you are doing it wrong.

3. Companions are worse than useless for a sneak character. They negate your sneak attack bonus which is counter-intuitive towards the first two notes above. Hell, my horse is a pain in the ass and he only comes into play on fast travel.

4. Heavy armor is perfectly viable for stealth characters. You either use the muffle spell, use the enchant, or get the perk in the heavy armor tree.

5. A dagger with the stealth perk and the dark brotherhood gloves will one shot giants. Two if you use a crappy one.

6. What kind of moron walks into a dungeon without ALREADY being in sneak mode?

This video is about an archer warrior build. It is not about a stealth character.

TizzytheTormentor said:

Jimquisition improved since it's premier episode. The Escapist also lost Extra Credits shortly afterwards, which basically did the same thing as Jimquisition but in a friendlier and funnier tone while also having a loyal following.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Hmm, I watched this video after their other ones on SWTOR, and it's a lot less bad.

It actually has narration which gives it some merit, however the person in the video was almost totally unable to actually sneak, even getting detected as the narrator mentions not being :D

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Far too simplistic, I mean I'm not asking for the entire Skyrim strategy guide in video format but this video makes those Jessica Chobot Strategize vids look like in depth walkthroughs...

Not to mention that judging by the action onscreen, the advice was pretty ineffective (player was detected multiple times).

This is not a rogue guide, it's a very lame archer guide with a single tip... use companions as meat shields.

Judging by the feedback in this thread, Mahalo better up their game and quick.
As a Skyrim Rogue myself, I'm pretty insulted tbh.

As an Escapist reader I'm very offended at the simplistic nature of the video... This is not IGN...