Major 3DS Update Includes Demos and DLC

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Major 3DS Update Includes Demos and DLC

After a losing financial year, Nintendo wants to eliminate every excuse you have for not buying new content on its 3DS.

In response to the company's recent financial woes, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has announced that the 3DS eShop will be expanded in a firmware update later this year. The update, expected November 4th, will focus on downloadable content, allowing game demos, DLC, and the ability to perform downloads while in sleep mode.

Iwata's plans were laid out in the company's Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/111028/05.html], a long explanation of what caused Nintendo's recent numbers and what it intends on doing to help reverse the trend. Also outlined in the report were plans for a second firmware update that will release sometime "in the future" after the one already planned for November. This future update will hypothetically allow the 3DS eShop's content to be viewable, and eventually, downloadable from smart phones and computers.

Nintendo believes that one of the problems with the 3DS is that it doesn't have "a great affinity with the social media, which are currently being used as a means to spread information.

"In other words," the report states, "even if a software title receives an incredible review, majority of people will not know about it unless they access the Nintendo eShop with their Nintendo 3DS system."

That's exactly why Iwata wants players to have more access to content. At first, players using other devices will only be able to view the eShop, but soon (for those of you counting, we're now talking about three updates out), Nintendo plans on giving them the ability to make purchases as well. Until that time, you'll need to photograph a QR code with your 3DS in order to access the purchase screen on your handheld.

This whole 3DS mess may be a thorn in Nintendo's side, but there's not much to complain about for the consumer. There's now been a price cut, a second thumbstick added [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112831-Bulky-3DS-Expansion-Adds-Second-Thumbstick], Netflix, the aforementioned DLC and demo update, and, of course, the stuff Nintendo was already planning on giving players in November anyway, namely 3D video recording and a new messaging service. I'll admit that I haven't been thrilled with Nintendo's hardware choices of late, but I have to applaud Iwata for the way he's handled its failings. Instead of sending out hordes of apology letters without changing, or simply pointing fingers and mud slinging, Nintendo has genuinely tried to make itself better for the player. Whether or not that's enough to put the company back on an upward swing is a different story.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-28-3ds-eshop-to-get-dlc-and-demos]

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
While I am happy to own a 3DS, the thing that really matters is that the games that are available are not really up to par with say normal DS games. They can keep releasing updates and make it so we get demos but the major thing that is needed is games that are for the 3DS. I could probably be wrong with that.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm excited for this update, it sounds like it will be really great. It'll be nice to be able to play demos of games before I buy them.

I hope this improves Nintendo's fortunes somewhat, it's sad to hear about them having troubles like this. Either way I know there's a lot more to be done, but I think Nintendo can still fix this mess. At least I hope so.

Also, I like the way you covered this story, very professional, unbiased.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Xannidel said:
While I am happy to own a 3DS, the thing that really matters is that the games that are available are not really up to par with say normal DS games. They can keep releasing updates and make it so we get demos but the major thing that is needed is games that are for the 3DS. I could probably be wrong with that.
To be fair, the DS was a pretty stark landscape for almost a year.

Now, I think the 3DS was a pretty stupid idea, and that's why Nintendo is paying the price right now. I'm not defending them out of fanboyism or love for the system.

However, they are trying to make up for it. getting new updates out has to be easier than speeding up the releases of games in development, and Nintendo's own hubris locked them into that.

I mean, people bought the DS in droves with almost no titles, based on the premise of touchscreen Zelda or Touchscreen Mario (a new one, not 64), etc.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Yeah things are getting better, I think the second version of the 3DS when it comes out will probably be the gold ticket for this system just like the DS lite was for the DS series.

For me a big problem is not just features but this game console is pretty slow when using its extra features. netflixs is murder searching through things sometimes, the Eshop is sluggish and makes navigating to different catagory's a little bit laborish and the downloads for some reason seem to really trickle in sometimes.

Then of course there is the emberesing web browser...try to load up the escapist with the 3DS, you got time to cook then syrup your frozen waffles before that comes up.

This thing has powerful hardware but it certainly doesn't feel like it. Apple may be slow to upgrade their hardware but at least they have the ability to milk out every clock cycle on their hardware. the Big N needs to optimize this machine, bad.

Also does the second thumb stick attachment count as an improvement? It turns your hand held into a hand brick.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
This would be great if I could access any of this new content. The E-store isn't available in my country. I haven't gotten my ambassador games either yet because I can't access the store

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Hylke Langhout said:
This would be great if I could access any of this new content. The E-store isn't available in my country. I haven't gotten my ambassador games either yet because I can't access the store
Then you're screwed. To get those games, you had to log in to the store before August 12th.

On another note that I've been harping on incessantly, when the hell will Nintendo release the 3DS store money cards in Canada? The entire damned 3DS shop is completely useless to those of us without a credit card. We've been waiting for months for these. Is it a tax situation like the one that kept iTunes gift cards from working in the App Store for years, or is something else going on?

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
SachielOne said:
Hylke Langhout said:
Then you're screwed. To get those games, you had to log in to the store before August 12th.

On another note that I've been harping on incessantly, when the hell will Nintendo release the 3DS store money cards in Canada? The entire damned 3DS shop is completely useless to those of us without a credit card. We've been waiting for months for these. Is it a tax situation like the one that kept iTunes gift cards from working in the App Store for years, or is something else going on?
As long as I'm ragging on the 3DS, region-locking was a stupid idea for a handheld system. It's a freaking handheld! You know, that you can take with you WHEN YOU TRAVEL! RAAGE!
And also, my country isn't even on the list for the regions. Thanks Nintendo, thanks.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
By "the social media", does this report mean "social networks"? It sure would be interesting to see Facebook and Twitter posts about these downloadable games and such shared via "Facebook/Twitter for 3DS".

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, that's the problem Nintendo. You hit the nail on the head, people are just turned off they don't have enough access to the fucking eShop. The 3DS's embarrassing sales have nothing to do with the thing being totally devoid of anything that isn't simply a remake . . . .IN 3-D!!!!! This isn't brain surgery, it's a god damned gaming device, make some fucking games for it people actually want to play. If people want to surf the web or watch Netflix or whatever they have cell phones for that. Focusing on superfluous bullshit like social networking features will mean fuck all if your GAMING console fails to have any games worth a damn.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
A second circle pad that's completely unnecessary, BTW. The only people who really cared are Vita fanboys who just pointed it out as a way to give the Vita +1 and the 3DS -1. But Nintendo will figure this out on their own after the second circle-pad accessory bombs at retail, but sadly not after wasting money developing and manufacturing the pointless thing.

And no Nintendo, it's not the eShop, lack of Hulu, or anything else that's the major problem. It's that the only two retail games worth playing on the system are two ports of N64 games. And the only problem with the eShop is that the only games worth buying from THAT are GameBoy games. It is a gaming platform, it needs GAMES. Not Hulu Plus, social networking, or 3D video recording. But hey, they'll figure this out on their own as well when sales skyrocket at the same times as Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7's release dates.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Xannidel said:
To be fair, the DS was a pretty stark landscape for almost a year.

Now, I think the 3DS was a pretty stupid idea, and that's why Nintendo is paying the price right now. I'm not defending them out of fanboyism or love for the system.

However, they are trying to make up for it. getting new updates out has to be easier than speeding up the releases of games in development, and Nintendo's own hubris locked them into that.

I mean, people bought the DS in droves with almost no titles, based on the premise of touchscreen Zelda or Touchscreen Mario (a new one, not 64), etc.
Ah my apologies, I did not mean to sound like a fanboy or anything but to be fair the 3DS lacked good games to really keep it in the air, they are making progress with this and maybe I am just being narrow minded in my last post but I thought if they had more available games then they would have more support for the 3DS, I in no way wish for them to rush their games out and risk the chance they over look a key aspect or a big glitch that could make/break the game.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
SachielOne said:
I believe the 3DS eShop PINs use the exact same PINs as the DSi shop. So if you buy DSi shop cards, you can top off your 3DS store balance. So the cards have really been around since launch.

I don't care how many extra features get bundled into the 3DS, I just want GAMES. Seriously. Since developers keep avoiding making games because the system isn't selling well enough, it's a horrible cycle and the system will never grow. Seems like I'm stuck waiting until Mario Kart 7 for any new 3DS games that I'll actually play.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, yeah... while it's nice to be on the THIRD firmware update and have access to additional content, I would like to actually use the thing for some other things. Oh, I dunno, perhaps other things like..

GAMES

Oh yeah, that's the thing I was thinking of. Remember those? I think you're missing the point Nintendo, THAT is why no one's buying your stupid console.

I own a 3DS. From launch. I've played mostly DS games on it. I have Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D... remakes of games that are almost 15 years old. These constant updates and additions do nothing to make me rush and turn my 3DS on.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
How is people manage to think Nintendo doesn't get the business they are in? I'm sure they are completely aware of the fact it had a lackluster launch.

Watching the way people talk here it's like watching a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm a bit disappointed with his assessment of the situation. When push comes to shove, people aren't going to use the 3DS as a new version of facebook, they want games. There aren't any good games on it, at least ones that we haven't played in the past. The idea is, no matter how much feces you offer someone, for however cheap you can possibly make it, people won't want it. C'mon, use your head.

Edit: Contrary to what John Meynard Keynes said, supply does not make it's own demand. More units without more games isn't the answer. The analogy went something like, "if I make ashtrays out of dog poo, no matter how cheap I make them, people aren't going to want them". :p

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Didn't they already admit they're going to revise the 3DS with an entirely new release? Even if it's just a 3DSi, the idea was this console failed and they're packing up and starting over in a few months/year.