Major Xbox Live Dashboard Update Hits Tomorrow

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Major Xbox Live Dashboard Update Hits Tomorrow

Don't be afraid if your Xbox Live dashboard looks a lot different come November 1.

Microsoft's long awaited Xbox Live dashboard update of 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/2101-Preview-Xbox-Dashboard-Update-2010] is finally here. An email was sent out today that confirms the major update will be released on November 1.

What does that mean? Well, if you can't be bothered to watch the Escapist's preview of the update I linked to in the previous paragraph, I'll explain. For one, if your Xbox 360 has been Kinectimals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104859-Playing-Kinect-Games-Early-Breaks-Xbox-Live] early, the problem will be fixed tomorrow.

Chiefly, the update will lead the way for Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288549135&sr=8-3], which is set to launch on November 4 in North America. It'll also change the look of the interface in various ways, including new fonts and colors, and by placing the dashboard's windows side by side instead of behind each other. New features include the addition of ESPN content (streaming sports programs and such), Zune Music and Movie marketplace updates, a Netflix search feature, and more.

Minor updates include upgraded voice quality, an improved virtual keyboard, and avatar proportion changes to fit with Kinect games. Anyone that connects to Xbox Live on November 1 will be prompted to download the update, which Microsoft says should take around 5-10 minutes. If you decline the update out of some kind of misguided hatred for Kinect, you won't be able to connect to Xbox Live. Sorry, the era of Kinect is here, and you'll just have to accept it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
But I want an unrealistic avatar!
Im not even getting kinect!

*remember that I never connect to xbox live8

HELL YES!

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
Doctor Who on netflix?

This is now relevant to my interests. o.o

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Pointless for me to turn on the xbox just to download this, almost everything in the damn update is for things not in Europe -.-

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Canadians can look forward ot Msn.ca and CBC content on their Xbox... yay? I saw this in Toronto on Monday and was unimpressed.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
Whatever. If the price changes I'll get this fancy Kinect...I wonder where I can fit it in my room...

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Too bad the DVD drive died (pretty much used everyday for 3 years, what can u expect?).
I do not want the silly side by side, it doesn't feel future-y.

Fingerthing

Mar 19, 2010
I'm just glad they are improving the voice quality! most of the time people sound like the pyro from Team Fortress 2 (mhhfff mhfff mhFF!! fUCk MHEHFehhe)

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
therandombear said:
Pointless for me to turn on the xbox just to download this, almost everything in the damn update is for things not in Europe -.-
Yeah, it would be nice to get even SOME features here. Maybe the the thingy that makes Rock Band network function. That would be a nice start.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
But I want an unrealistic avatar!
Ditto. Other then that I'm not really bothered either way as I don't use it for anything other then playing games.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Why would I pay £40 for ESPN when I get it for free on Virgin Media?

Anyway, it looks pretty, which is what I like, but can it make up for the absurd update time these updates take?

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
I've had the preview for a few weeks. It's a pretty sleek dashboard. I never got the chance to test out the party voice chat with anyone else on the preview though.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
DVSAurion said:
therandombear said:
Yeah, it would be nice to get even SOME features here. Maybe the the thingy that makes Rock Band network function. That would be a nice start.
I'm told, though I have no experience so I'm waiting before rejoicing, that the new voice-chat codec is worth the hassle by itself; it's supposed to be much clearer than the old one.

Me? I'm hoping that netflix.ca rolls out soon.

-- Steve

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well if its like most of the other big ones it will make it clunkier and add useless features on top of making any sort of backgrounds you have useless

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
"avatar proportion changes to fit with Kinect games"
So if your really short and fat it'll make your avatar into a dwarf for you? Awesome!