Majora's Mask Speed Runner Beats Game in an Hour and Half

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
CriticKitten said:
No, he didn't, but I'm not starting that argument AGAIN. It's your site's fault that argument even got started in the first place, because your writers can't tell the difference between a full run of a game and a heavily-glitched-through speedrun of 5-10% of the game. But rather than restart that, here, AGAIN, I'm just going to tell you to stop mislabeling his achievement as a full game completion when it's obviously NOT one. Most of us, at least, could agree on the grossly misleading title of the last article. Hopefully this one isn't similarly as inaccurate for click-bait's sake.
"I'm not starting that argument again, but here's why you're wrong, but I won't start that argument again!"

OT: Just learn the categories of speedrunning and be done with it. Your definition of completing the game doesn't matter to that community, nor should it. In any%, all that matters is the end-game screen / credits or its equivalent.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Trotgar said:
I saw him at least use a bomb to repeatedly jump in the air (around 23:30) and to perform a HESS (hyper extended/endless super slide) at 29:58. Also he apparently goes out of bounds every now and then. Not sure if you aren't familiar with the glitches, or if you just wanted to know the particular ones, sorry :(
Both actually, I have never felt interested in the Zelda franchise and thus, never played one of the games. It does tarnish his effort though.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rednog said:
StewShearer said:
The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches.
I'm curious as to where you got this information from? Granted the Kotaku article says he isn't using cheats...he most definitely is using glitches. I only watched 20 minutes of it and saw him use a bomb glitch to send Link sliding backwards across the world, a bomb glitch to send him through walls and out of the map, and a bomb glitch to make a jump. Also saw a few other instances where he would use an item and then rapidly try and hit start to swap it out with another item before it's use ended, which did produce some abnormal results.
I must have come away with the wrong impression for what "no cheats" meant after reading the Kotaku piece. That is absolutely my fault and I've updated the article to reflect this. My apologies for the inaccuracy and any annoyance it may have caused you and other readers. My goal is, of course, to present information as it happened and I'm not happy that I fumbled the ball here.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Neta said:
Neronium said:
Neta said:
snip
Ah right. Well in that case, cool.

Well done and congratulations for being an awesome speed gamer.

I used to be a massive Zelda fanboy but I was burned after playing Ocarina of Time and completely lost interest in the entire franchise. It was a bitter betrayal.
Not wanting to derail the thread, but can you share this tragic tale of spurned love?

Nata-chan

Mar 11, 2014
I would also like to hear this tale of spurned love.

I think Cosmo's OOT was more impressive in terms of video, and it was just cool to see kid link go from the Deku tree to Ganon's castle and beat up Ganon with a Deku stick. Also when he and Zelda look at each other, kid Link is totally staring at her boobs.

I wouldn't say "beat" or "completed" for this kind of speed run, I'm not a completionist (like achievements) but I think you need to actually play the story through to "beat" the game. I would have said that he "beat Ganon within 19 minutes" and obviously that he used exploits. Same for the Majora Mask video. Then it's clear he just beat the final boss.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
All this reminds of is that Nintendo still refuses to clarify whether they really are working on Majora's Mask HD or not.

I mean, come on guys, at least put the original game on the Nintendo Store.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
All this reminds of is that Nintendo still refuses to clarify whether they really are working on Majora's Mask HD or not.

It is on the Virtual Console though, but not the eShop. I have the version on my Wii U currently. I agree though it'd be nice to not have to go to Wii mode to access it, and I still await the day in which I get to play an HD remake of my favorite 3D Zelda game of all time. >.>

Madmonk12345

Jun 14, 2012
Nata-chan said:
I would also like to hear this tale of spurned love.

I think Cosmo's OOT was more impressive in terms of video, and it was just cool to see kid link go from the Deku tree to Ganon's castle and beat up Ganon with a Deku stick. Also when he and Zelda look at each other, kid Link is totally staring at her boobs.

I wouldn't say "beat" or "completed" for this kind of speed run, I'm not a completionist (like achievements) but I think you need to actually play the story through to "beat" the game. I would have said that he "beat Ganon within 19 minutes" and obviously that he used exploits. Same for the Majora Mask video. Then it's clear he just beat the final boss.
Did we watch the same video? He goes to all of the dungeons. There were some teleporting here and there, but he beat all of the dungeons and bosses. How isn't that "beat"?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Neronium said:
Brian Tams said:

It is on the Virtual Console though, but not the eShop. I have the version on my Wii U currently. I agree though it'd be nice to not have to go to Wii mode to access it, and I still await the day in which I get to play an HD remake of my favorite 3D Zelda game of all time. >.>
Do you need the Wii Mote to play it, or can I use the gamepad? Also, does it have offscreen play with the gamepad?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Neronium said:
Brian Tams said:

Do you need the Wii Mote to play it, or can I use the gamepad? Also, does it have offscreen play with the gamepad?
You need the Wii note and classic controller for some arbitrarily dumb reason. Wii games when doing off screen play I can understand, but for Virtual Console games it's dumb that you can't use the buttons on the GamePad. It's entirely possible to do it, but Nintendo hasn't patched it for some reason, which is why off screen play for VC games is really useless. :/

None of the Wii VC games have been altered with the GamePad in mind, so you're honestly better playing them on a regular Wii since they support GameCube controllers, and you'd need the Mayflash Adapter of you wanna use a GCN controller (I recommend it as it works extremely well)

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
CriticKitten said:
StewShearer said:
Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132994-Speed-Runner-Beats-Ocarina-of-Time-in-Less-Than-19-Minutes>in less than 19 minutes.
*twitch*

No, he didn't, but I'm not starting that argument AGAIN. It's your site's fault that argument even got started in the first place, because your writers can't tell the difference between a full run of a game and a heavily-glitched-through speedrun of 5-10% of the game. But rather than restart that, here, AGAIN, I'm just going to tell you to stop mislabeling his achievement as a full game completion when it's obviously NOT one. Most of us, at least, could agree on the grossly misleading title of the last article. Hopefully this one isn't similarly as inaccurate for click-bait's sake.
So what constitutes "beating" a game? 100%? 90%? Not purposefully dying?

What if you accidentally cause a glitch that causes progression? Did you really "beat" the game? Your suggestion of "beating" a game creates either such a ludicrous grey area as to what it really means or requires a ton of arbitrary definitions that would make both no sense and suck all of the fun out of speedrunning.

Also, as an aside, a lot of the glitches that are being exploited are FRAME perfect and are much harder and require more skill, timing, and practice to complete then ANYTHING in the vanilla game.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
CriticKitten said:
Apparently my first post was unclear. Allow me to explain:

When I said I was done discussing it, that didn't mean "I'll happily restart that multi-page argument with you here in this thread, because I love wasting my time repeating myself". It meant "if you try to argue with me about it again, I'll just ignore you and go about my business as if you never existed".

Have a splendid day! :)
I love how you say this, but then you go on to argue anyways. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, why not just, you know, not post? It's better then this smug passive-aggressive argument baiting.

CriticKitten said:
That doesn't mean their views are "wrong", they can have their own opinions too. They jut need to stop acting like theirs is the majority opinion (or like it's the common definition, when it's clearly not) simply because it's a majority here, in a relatively gaming-elitist forum community. >_>
I dunno mate, if you ask people what "beating the game" is I'd imagine the most popular response would be either "beating the final boss" or "reaching the end credits". Either way it's irrelevant though, their runs are impressive because of the amount of planning, skill and practice it takes to execute. Not what arbitrary restraints on "beating the game" you might impose.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
CriticKitten said:
Incidentally, I did ask a number of people their opinions on the subject prior to making this post, and of the twenty plus, not a one disagreed with my assessment that a person who skips 90% of the content is not actually "beating" any of that content, so much as skipping over it. I plan to interview my students later today as many of them are casual gamers of varying degrees, just to prove my point further, but I expect similarly lopsided results from them.
Anecdotal. I don't know how you ask the question nor who you asked nor if you actually did even ask.

CriticKitten said:
The category "Any%" exists for a reason in the community, and it's not because speedrunners want their "Any%" runs held up as equal to regular runs.
Any% runs *are* regular runs. Any% doesn't imply using glitches or exploits, it just allows them.

And the reason different categories exist is so that all runs are equally valid in their respective category and dumb subjective arguments about "beating the game" don't happen.

CriticKitten said:
I'm not going to humor your attempt to bait me out to argue again.
And yet you keep responding.

Also, don't pretend other people dragged you into this argument again. You were the one who brought it up again to begin with, before that nobody cared.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
CriticKitten said:
I feel strongly that this post is projecting personal opinions on the greater gaming community, as well as the speed running community.

Also, if that's the case, then I shudder at hearing that you have students. Teachers are supposed to teach facts, not opinions.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
When did speedruns become news? AGDQ starting up again, puts out an official date? Sure. Guy beats game? Nah...

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
CriticKitten said:
Yes, it's anecdotal, just as much so as your "evidence" to the contrary. It's your opinion against mine, and no one "wins" an argument of opinions.
It is a dumb argument. Honestly I'm just replying because I find it hilarious how much you're trying to pretend you don't care while so blatantly caring.

CriticKitten said:
Incorrect. They are runs of the game under special sets of rules which permit the user to use glitches and exploits to skip large portions of content in order to achieve the fastest time. That is *not* a regular run of the game, which is precisely why it's relegated to its own category and style of play.
I'm afraid you're incorrect. Any% is the most commonly run category in any given game precisely because it's rule-less. Get to the end of the game as fast as possible, that's the only condition. All other categories are variations on Any% as it existed before the category system was even put into place. Thus it is the "regular" run by any reasonable definition of the term.
CriticKitten said:
So you mean....exactly what I said before, about how it makes no sense to consider an "Any%" run in any sort of comparison with a regular run? Good, I'm glad we both agree that the game run in question is valid in its own category.
See above, Any% is a regular run. My point was that the speedrunning community recognized the pointlessness of the "is this beating the game" and actively avoided it.

CriticKitten said:
I'm also glad we both agree that this argument is dumb, so my immediate question then becomes: why do you keep trying to have it?
You're the one who started it with:

If you didn't want to have the argument, don't hit-and-run smugpost about how much you're right but since you're such a mature person you won't bother debating how wrong we are.

CriticKitten said:
So do you, so I'm not sure what this is meant to "prove" exactly, because any argument you might project onto me is just as easily reversed when you consider that you, too, are still responding even after admitting that you find the argument "dumb" and pointless. :)

But rest assured that unlike yourself, I won't make that mistake again. Have a good day!
I'm not the one who keeps putting "but I won't bother responding again" at the bottom of every one of my posts and then promptly responding again.

EDIT: Haha, he keeps editing the last line to emphasize how "above the argument" he is.