Make A Minor Change To A Game You Love That Would Depress The Hell Out Of You

avelmen1889

Dec 30, 2008
a "sequel" to sly cooper without Murray and his cane gets replaced with a whip. oh wait... thats kinda what playstation move heroes [or what ever it is] is doing.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Weapons that you can't find or craft, only buy in TF2.

Joke answer: Scouts with flamethrowers.
(oh lordy, those randomizer servers, where the Wrenchineer is king)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Pretty much every game can be made very depressing with just five words:

It was all a dream.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Treblaine said:
Metal Gear Solid:

if they added a suit that made you effectively invisible while motionless and gave you a gun that allowed you to knock out your enemy with one hit with no repercussions in terms of kill-count, alerting the enemy or any moral dilemmas.

Oh wait, they already did that.

Tranquilliser pistol ruined the MGS series, it destroyed the balance of stealth against combat and undermined any moral dilemma of killing in war. It's also just far too unreal, the reality with tranquilliser is too low a dose and they are merely woozy, too high a dose and they will go into a coma and likely die or suffer severe brain damage and mere drops either way can change that. It's a cop out.

The octo-camo suit too, so overpowered, it removed all diversity to play, it turned the game into a crawling simulator.
I didn't even mind the tranquilliser pistol that much.

What really bothered me was the fact that you could buy all your weapons and ammo in MGS 4. In the previous games, everytime you found a new gun it felt like a nice little gift. The ability to buy weapons and ammo at anytime completely destroyed that feeling of "make do with what you have".

Then again, MGS 4 was littered with bad gameplay design.
I really get the impression Kojima didn't even want to make any MGS games much beyond MGS2, he always says "this is my last game" yet I think Konami Software keeps strong arming him into making another.

It's clear he had no love for MGS4, I don't think he even cared that much. He's recycling ideas and themes and introducing things that really should have been dropped in the planning stage. He also seems to be trying to keep competitive with western games though he clearly is out of his depth here. He adds more potent weapons like tranquilliser dart but keeps them 100% non-lethal to match possibly his own feelings on the morality of war... but in the process his games become meaningless in terms of ethical commentary.

When liquid Snake challenged me (while looking through Solid Snakes eye in first person perspective):

"(you continue to fight because) You enjoy all the killing!"

That really hit me, sure I'd been avoiding confrontation and I'd gotten into the story that I was trying to save this (fictional) world from nuclear annihilation... but I had enjoyed it. I had enjoyed killing the clone soldiers. But at the same time I had no choice, maybe that was why I enjoyed it...

I'd cite that scene as proof of why games ARE art. Yes, it was a cutscene which is giving more credit to film, but it is within the CONTEXT of the game, a game about killing, that's what made it so powerful. And also the dilemmas of either the rescue or betrayal of Meryl that came to conclusion there, as GAMEPLAY decisions, that should earn this game a place in the Congressional Library.

But back to the all powerful tranquilliser gun, possibly the most fantastical weapon in the entire series, but it utterly divorces Snake from the dilemmas of conflict. The idea that you can get through the entire game with a zero kill count... not through skill of avoidance but exploiting an utterly fantastical weapon. That's not satisfying.

I suspect on some level Kojima felt guilty about making a game that glorified violence and war, he put in the tranquilliser pistol to either allay his soul or at least have it there as a defence mechanism: "hey, you don't HAVE to kill in my game, you can use this magical deus ex machina to win".

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Treblaine said:
2xDouble said:

It was all a dream.
Psychonauts?
Yes, even Psychonauts. It never happened. Nothing you did mattered. You have just wasted X number of hours of your life. Now get back to whatever you were doing (or not doing) before you started this whole, fantastical, exciting adventure, you lazy bum! It was all a dream.

Which is ironic, in that all of that is true. Very... what's the word when something is represented as something else but then itself becomes a representation of yourself in that something represented? (What?) Symbolic, I guess? metaphorical? whatever.

I find that depressing. (Stupid game, telling me I wasted all the time I wasted wasting time... *circular grumble*)

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Vryyk said:
You guys should try Europa Barborum, it makes vanilla R:TW seem crappy by comparison. You'll like it and it's free :)
It's one of many mods I have tried. I liked it but it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't one of those ones I played for more than a week at least.

Vryyk said:
I'll take you up on that "if not more" bit if we can include mods. 2.6k hours according to steam.
As I have posted before...I think I have more than that even. :p

SimuLord said:
Played EB, didn't much care for it (as with most conversion mods, I thought its reach far exceeded its grasp.)
Ever play Terrae Expugnandae, or Roma Surrectum mods by chance?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
2xDouble said:
Treblaine said:
2xDouble said:

It was all a dream.
Psychonauts?
Yes, even Psychonauts. It never happened. Nothing you did mattered. You have just wasted X number of hours of your life. Now get back to whatever you were doing (or not doing) before you started this whole, fantastical, exciting adventure, you lazy bum! It was all a dream.

Which is ironic, in that all of that is true. Very... what's the word when something is represented as something else but then itself becomes a representation of yourself in that something represented? (What?) Symbolic, I guess? metaphorical? whatever.

I find that depressing. (Stupid game, telling me I wasted all the time I wasted wasting time... *circular grumble*)
Not a problem for me as I can appreciate things for what they are, not what I think they should be.

Dreams are interesting, they never really happened but so many artists and scientist have made great discoveries and realisations in their dreams. People can be hugely influenced by books and films that can be entirely fictional and know they are fictional. It's like the case of shooting the messenger, it doesn't matter who said it, it matters how significant what was said/revealed in and of itself.

The problem with things suddenly being revealed as dreams is it presents the ongoing existential crisis, is what is happening RIGHT NOW a dream? What is real? How much is real, how much is what I am seeing and feeling real, is my past real, is my reality contorted with hallucinations and false perceptions?

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Removal of Party Social links in P4,it made me feel closer to my party than I already did. Plus I wouldn't get to see Kanji threaten to renovate anybody.Though they still get follow up attacks and the like but only when the fool ranks up.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Treblaine said:
Not a problem for me as I can appreciate things for what they are, not what I think they should be.

Dreams are interesting, they never really happened but so many artists and scientist have made great discoveries and realisations in their dreams. People can be hugely influenced by books and films that can be entirely fictional and know they are fictional. It's like the case of shooting the messenger, it doesn't matter who said it, it matters how significant what was said/revealed in and of itself.

The problem with things suddenly being revealed as dreams is it presents the ongoing existential crisis, is what is happening RIGHT NOW a dream? What is real? How much is real, how much is what I am seeing and feeling real, is my past real, is my reality contorted with hallucinations and false perceptions?
But that's really the problem isn't it? Seeing something for what it is, effectively accomplishing nothing in an ultimately futile attempt to entertain ourselves, only to have the thin sense of accomplishment in story or experience be pulled out from under you. To find that you have not only been wasting your own real time, but also your character's virtual time... that's pretty sad.

I'm not saying "it was all a dream" removes significance of a game if crafted into the entire adventure,
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Super Mario Bros. 2, Assassin's Creed, etc.
But tack "it was all a dream" on the end of a Halo, Portal, Starcraft, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy (actually, that one fits better than most), Pokemon, Warcraft, any MMO... hell, Tetris... and see how well it fits (without some serious literary gymnastics to justify it).

In answer to your questions:
No, Yes it is, Between 50%-70%, Ditto, No, Yes. (I saw The Matrix too, heh)

The real question is: if something was dreamed, does that mean it didn't happen?
For most things: No. What happens in dreams is as real as what happens in reality.
In poorly-scripted and ill-prepared entertainment media (i.e modifying existing games): certainly yes.

"You are the Dreamer and the Dream." - The Wind Fish

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Fredrikorex said:
Super Meat Boy with limited lives...
Words cannot describe how much I agree with you on that.
Not only would it make the game infinitely times more frustrating, but it would also make the end of level replays far less entertaining.

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
Removing Viola from Eternal Sonata. Honestly she is the reason I can actually beat bosses. On a similar note I'm stuck at that pirate chick boss, since they took Viola away for that part...