Male Wii Fit Trainer Appears In Super Smash Bros

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Male Wii Fit Trainer Appears In Super Smash Bros

The posted screenshot from the new Super Smash Bros could just be in commemoration of Wii Fit U or it could be something more.

Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai posted a game image taken during development. The image, taken from the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros, shows our Miiverse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124885-Super-Smash-Bros-Features-the-Wii-Fit-Trainer], Sakurai wrote, "The trial version of Wii Fit U is available now! We'd like to share this pic to commemorate the occasion."

Sakurai did not say anything else on the male Wii Fit Trainer. Making him a new character would make little sense as there are only so many spaces left in the roster. He also does not have his own page on the official site as a newcomer. It's possible the screenshot means little more than a celebration of Wii Fit U, but the male trainer could be an alternate costume for Wii Fit Trainer. If that's the case, maybe an alternate costume will exist for the Animal Crossing Villager, giving the player a choice to fight as a male or female villager. If the Pokemon Trainer character returns, it would be great to see a female alternate costume for that character as well.

The Wii Fit Trainer is one of three newcomer characters announced so far for the upcoming Super Smash Bros game on Wii U and 3DS. The game is expected to launch sometime next year, and there's still time left for more characters to be announced.

Source: Super Smash Bros website [http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh great, there will be more fanarts related to the male trainer (you know what I'm on about if you ever been to the dark side of the internet).

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'm afraid I still can't see the Wii Fit Trainer being in SSB4 as anything other than a not-so-subtle advertisement for Wii Fit, I mean honestly does anyone really want this character?

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
ccdohl said:
That is so freaking sexist. Why is it the male trainer?

The blatant misogyny in the gaming industry is just out of control.
Sarcasm or...? I won't argue that the industry has problems in this regard but how the heck is this bit related at all?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
FancyNick said:
ccdohl said:

Sarcasm or...? I won't argue that the industry has problems in this regard but how the heck is this bit related at all?
I would go with sarcasm... but Poe's law has taught me well sooooo... I give up. Just ignore him.
I wonder how long it will take for people to actually keep saying that seriously on a bigger scale.

OT: I like it. With this I will hopefully have more r34 of
male WiiFit trainer and Link.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
ccdohl said:

Clearly this is a prime example of the subject-versus-object dichotomy where the male is as usual, the subject whereas the female is once again relegated to an object that has absolutely no agency.

Nintendo needs to learn that games don't just exist in a vacuum and that by outright excluding the female Trainer they perpetuate the boys club mentality that pervades the game industry, thus solidifying the dominance of the patriarchy in society.

This is an outrage.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
JoJo said:
I'm afraid I still can't see the Wii Fit Trainer being in SSB4 as anything other than a not-so-subtle advertisement for Wii Fit, I mean honestly does anyone really want this character?
From what I've seen she actually looks like a fun character to play as and that is reason enough to want the character for me at least. Still, the male trainer/female trainer better just be separate skins for the same character... They are limiting the roster and I don't want it filled up by characters that aren't interesting beyond how they play.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Hope you like being called sexist over arbitrary bullshit Nintendo!

ccdohl said:

Also I find it hilarious people really can't tell that this is sarcasm.

VanQ said:
Not to mention they're both white. Jeez Nintendo.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I'd figure this was a joke, but I guess Nintendo can do what it wants with it's character. Just can't wait to see what other characters they throw in there. Maybe that smiling cloud the turtle flies on from Mario Bros. Just seems an odd pick.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
if this is it's own character and not just a pallete swap i'm going to be pissed. we still have no IKE or Crom announced which is just sad. though hopefully the limited roster means there will be only 1 starfox and not 4 different versions of him like in brawl. I get it that fox is popular but why the F didn't they just make alternate costumes for him. at least Ike and crom have different fighting styles. and i'm not even asking for both since I know we're only getting one, i'd hope for ike since he was by best in brawl, but crom is newer and will most likely get the gig.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Hopefully he's either a palette swap, or an assist trophy. Sakurai said he was planning to limit the roster, and if the male Wii Fit Trainer takes up space that could be used for others, I will be pretty angry. Especially if he is just a clone of the female trainer, that would be even more maddening.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Well... ugh...

I hope their main attacks involve hula-hoops.

Hula hoops that attack with image editing, sentimental embraces, and matches.

I need to write this down.

Of course, I hope he is an attack, not his own character - the female version was announced as the playable one, but I hope the series doesn't go back to its "8 clones of one character, 7 of them suck" format that Melee and Brawl were riddled with.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Okay, so the Wii Fit trainer will have multiple skins. Calm down people, I seriously doubt he'll take up one of your precious slots. Though it will be amusing if they forget to give him his own voiceover.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ccdohl said:

You know, I used to think that sarcasm simply didn't translate into text, but the number of people who utterly missed this is just painful.

OT: I may buy a Wii U just for this.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
JoJo said:
Isn't that part of the spirit of the Super Smash Bros. games? I mean, they always have the well known characters, but they also include the obscure ones to try and gauge interest.

Like Pit in Brawl. The positive reception to him appearing in Brawl led to the Uprising game.