Maleficent Breaks $500 Million, is Angelina Jolie's Highest-Grossing Film

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Maleficent Breaks $500 Million, is Angelina Jolie's Highest-Grossing Film

Not accounting for inflation, Maleficent is now Angelina Jolie's highest-grossing film to date, with the Disney film now crossing the $500 million mark at the box office.

The Disney live-action film Maleficent just crossed the $500 million mark over the weekend, and is now considered actress Angelina Jolie's highest-grossing film to date, but that's not accounting for inflation. In North America, Maleficent has shown impressive staying power as it stayed in the top five in its fourth week, where it grossed $13 million for a domestic total of $186 million. Over on international markets, the Jolie-starrer raked in $44.7 million from 54 markets, including an impressive $20.3 million debut in China. To date, Maleficent has earned $335.6 million internationally and $521.6 million in total worldwide.

Jolie's previous high was the action-comedy film, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which has her current partner Brad Pitt in the co-starring role, and managed to total $478.2 million in 2005. Also of note, Maleficent has now passed Disney's other live-action hit, Oz the Great and Powerful, which has grossed over $493.3 million worldwide. While the numbers are impressive enough as it is, the film isn't done yet, as Maleficent has yet to debut in Japan. For reference, its best international markets being Mexico ($40.4 million), Russia ($34.8 million), the UK ($25.7 million), and Brazil $24.2 million.

You can watch what The Escapist thought of early concept designs showed a young Maleficent covered in feathers instead of hair [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9291-Maleficent-An-Unusual-Fairy-Tale-of-Revenge].

Have you seen Maleficent yet and what do you make of it? Should Disney adapt other animation villains seeing how successful this one is?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-maleficent-crosses-713905]

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Wonder how much more Bob's been surprised by this movie after his initial reaction. seemed an obvious hit when I went to see it. but then I'm not a movie critic.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I went and saw it just to see Jolie. I think they really missed an opportunity by trying to make her a "misunderstood" hero rather than an actual villain.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I wasn't all that impressed with it, it was just kinda dull after the initial 'HOLY CRAP, DID THEY JUST IMPLY WHAT I THINK THEY DID!?'.

I'm not surprised it's a hit though, family films have a huge audience and the movie wasn't offensive... really, just dull.

I was also annoyed that they tried to make Maleficent interesting by making all the other characters either complete morons or massive ass-holes.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Can I ask, does this film have singing in it? I'm not especially excited to see it but I love watching movies, I hate watching musicals!

They are just so fucking annoying, the plot is plodding along, like it does in every film and then for no fucking reason, one prick starts warbling away! The story comes to screeching halt, while this little shit is joined by a cast that pops out of fucking nowhere for a little shit hoe down! After the routine about some mundane crap is over, the plot jerks back to motion till the next toll booth is upon us!

Imagine that in your day to day working life, having to sing about your morning routine ... or just as you're in the middle of work, fucking Joan decides that knocking off for a cig is a good time to burst into song and under social convention you have to run over and be part of the routine! "fucks sake's Joan, I have to have this paperwork done in 5 minutes! Or the boss is going to sing the firing song at me!".

It's just weird, nothing yanks me out of the experience/immersion like it ... it's the choke chain of movies!

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Can I ask, does this film have singing in it? I'm not especially excited to see it but I love watching movies, I hate watching musicals!
As far as I remember, no, no singing.

I really liked this movie, more than I thought i was going to. I thought they were going to retell the story, just make it live. I'm glad they really took time to give it a different direction from it's original source. Worth the watch. Not surprised it's doing so well.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
synobal said:
I went and saw it just to see Jolie. I think they really missed an opportunity by trying to make her a "misunderstood" hero rather than an actual villain.
It is a shame, as the acting was top-notch, but the overtones of the movie...

My gods...

The 'evil' was hammy in the second act, and a more cunning (and interesting) villain would've done something truly worthy of the legacy of Maleficent when 'gifting' the kid. I do wonder if the person who wrote this did any research into the original story.

I could've come up with a better finish, without the weird modern-day feminist vibe.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Maleficent is one of the best movies that Disney's ever made. I love when excellent, meaningful, culturally important movies make money.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Slegiar Dryke said:
Wonder how much more Bob's been surprised by this movie after his initial reaction. seemed an obvious hit when I went to see it. but then I'm not a movie critic.
honestly I didn't think it would be a hit considering how stuff like snow white and the huntsement or Oz the great and powerful went

omega 616 said:
99% sure no

[quote/]It's just weird, nothing yanks me out of the experience/immersion like it ... it's the choke chain of movies![/quote]
I like musical numbers...however

I think when watching a movie the plot being "stopped" is more obvious to the veiwer

but then watching a musical the ratio to singing/acting scenes (or at least in wicked...the one I saw) is alot more in favor of singing

so the songs essentially "are" the plot...it doesn't stop to let in a song, it goes through as a song, and since songs are bascially a direct tap into our emotions the effect is amazing...for those who like that kind of thing

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
omega 616 said:

They are just so fucking annoying, the plot is plodding along, like it does in every film and then for no fucking reason, one prick starts warbling away! The story comes to screeching halt, while this little shit is joined by a cast that pops out of fucking nowhere for a little shit hoe down! After the routine about some mundane crap is over, the plot jerks back to motion till the next toll booth is upon us!

Imagine that in your day to day working life, having to sing about your morning routine ... or just as you're in the middle of work, fucking Joan decides that knocking off for a cig is a good time to burst into song and under social convention you have to run over and be part of the routine! "fucks sake's Joan, I have to have this paperwork done in 5 minutes! Or the boss is going to sing the firing song at me!".

It's just weird, nothing yanks me out of the experience/immersion like it ... it's the choke chain of movies!
This is why I didn't enjoy Frozen. The plot of the film was already pretty shaky but then the shoehorned musical numbers just made things feel so forced. Especially that fucking troll song that felt completely unnecessary. I really don't understand why people like this movie so much.

As for the OT, I'm surprised at how much of a hit this one is as well. I guess it catered to a particular audience that I'm not a part of because I can't begin to stress how little I care about seeing this.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
I could've come up with a better finish, without the weird modern-day feminist vibe.
Don't take this the wrong way I mean it as no jab at you as I'm speaking more in general. But when I see comments like this, I'm often left wondering if I'm the only one who goes to movies these day to merely enjoy them and be entertained, and not attach messages and political leanings to everything. Just seems like a way to kill some nice simple escapism to me.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
It is a shame, as the acting was top-notch, but the overtones of the movie...

My gods...

The 'evil' was hammy in the second act, and a more cunning (and interesting) villain would've done something truly worthy of the legacy of Maleficent when 'gifting' the kid. I do wonder if the person who wrote this did any research into the original story.

Did you miss the entire point of the film? as in, "The story you were told as a kid wasn't what actually happened, as said from the pivotal character in each story (i.e. Sleeping Beauty)"

So, you wake up from what might as well be a rape from someone you trusted. You learn the reason for it was to impress someone, an initiation of sorts. What do you do? Why, you destroy him with what he used to destroy you, of course.

Also, the "legacy" of maleficent is much more lack luster then you give it credit. Impressive for its time, the movie doesn't hold a candle compared to so many movies today. Name a villain that's more compelling then a women/sorceress who curses a child for being left out at a celebration. She is evil for the sake of it, but she has no personality. She's not compelling in any way, she's merely an obstacle to be overcome. She could be recast as a magical plank of wood and it would be the same, albeit sillier.

Why is she evil? Why does she care that she was left out or ignored? Why assert her presence at all? Why is she so powerful? why can she be killed so easily if she's so powerful? why use magic when she could burn them all alive in their castle? Why become a dragon when her magic can do some nasty and long lasting damage? Why is she even there?

Your nostalgia goggles blind you, thinking that something you once enjoyed is sacred and unchangeable. If that held true, the Dark Knight is terrible, as is The Thing, both being remakes that differed greatly from the original. Both are great movies despite (or indeed because of) the fact that they differ greatly from their progenitors.

As for the feminism comment, why is it so weird that a person be given a reason to hate? Why would it have been better if she had just been evil for no reason? And why is infusing a real world problem into a work of fiction so terrible? Modern day feminism vibe is a stupid way to say the reality we live in. In my immediate family alone, two of them have been sexually assaulted by an abusive boyfriend, one was molested by an uncle, and one was gang raped and nearly killed. I live in an average middle class family, out in the country where we know our neighbors by name, and that shit reached us. I can't even imagine how bad people in worse neighborhoods can have it.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Vault101 said:
Slegiar Dryke said:
honestly I didn't think it would be a hit considering how stuff like snow white and the huntsement or Oz the great and powerful went
well, granted, it is kind of a subjective thing. but then I'll admit I didn't see snow white, and, while I saw Oz.....it did have its low points. so overall I guess its up to the individual.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Crucify me all you like, but I actually really, really enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The regular version, mind you. Not the Directors's Cut.