Mallrats 2 Confirmed, Filming to Start in 2016

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mallrats 2 Confirmed, Filming to Start in 2016

Mallrats fans have been waiting twenty years for a sequel to the cult classic.

Kevin Smith has today confirmed that the next of his 90s cult classics to receive a long-awaited sequel will be Mallrats. He said that shooting on the film will begin in 2016, and while he only has "half a script" right now he should get it together by next year.

"It's half a script right now, and we're pulling our loot together," he said on Tuscon morning show Rock102 Mornings with Shmonty & Carolina (via The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-smith-mallrats-2-script-781555]). "We've got up until the beginning of 2016. By the time we get to May 2016, we're going to be shooting."

"Lately I've been doing this thing where I'm like, 'Do you want to do what's good for your career, or do you just want to have fun?' " he continued. "Nobody's clamoring for a Mallrats sequel, but I would love to make one. It's been like 20 years."

You may recall that Smith pulled a similar move with Clerks back in 2006, resurrecting it with a new sequel 12 years after the original release in 1994.

The original Mallrats was released back in 1995, and like many of Smith's films, quickly became a cult classic. Alongside the just-announced Mallrats 2, Smith will also start filming Clerks III [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137727-Kevin-Smith-Secures-Financing-For-Clerks-3] in the next few months.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/16/kevin-smith-confirms-mallrats-2-will-start-filming-in-2016]

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Good for him for making the movie he wants too. I have never watched any of his movies so I don't care but I know some of my friends will be very happy.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Kevin Smith - as a movie maker - has sort of gone down hill since his glory days as an indie movie maker. I recall MovieBob making a nice lil series on the topic a while back.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Isn't everyone too old now and aren't malls dying out?

Jay and Silent Bob being 40 year old shit talking weed peddlers seems very sad.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Nurb said:
I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the narrative. Brodie delivering a heart-felt soliloquy about the loss of the great mecca to consumerism, perhaps a diatribe against Wal-Mart and other such "super" stores.

But who knows. Bottom line, I liked Mallrats back when it was new. And while I don't have high hopes for a sequel, I'll still see it. If nothing else just for the nostalgia factor. :)

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Long awaited by who? Don't get me wrong, I loved mall rats back in the day. But I don't think it needs a sequal.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The problem with Kevin Smith is that as a director he stuck in the early 90s zeitgeist. He has not found anything new to say, hence the recycling of old ideas with mallrats and clerks. I could be wrong and these new films a brilliant meditation on middle age and looking back at lost youth, but I doubt it. I strongly suspect its going to be middle aged men talking about comic books and getting high.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I never really cared for what I saw of Mallrats, but I also didn't care for Clerks and I really enjoyed Clerks II. This could be good.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Great!

This is amazing!

Yet another Kevin Smith movie we really, really don't fucking need. The 90's are fucking over. None of this shit is fucking relevant anymore! Go home, Smith!Go home!!

Well, I should be fair to the guy, this one might be as somewhat mildly entertaining as Clerks 2. Mediocrity is still better than a fail.

Attercap

Irascible Webmaster
Jun 22, 2012
Does this mean we'll get a Dogma 2 in four years? ...Because I would be OK with that.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Nurb said:
I wouldn't know about what the specifics are in the states, but here in Montreal malls are still alive and well, though it could be a cultural thing given how downtown is basically a massive underground mall that connects all the office buildings and a fair number of apartments.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
webkilla said:

Kevin Smith - as a movie maker - has sort of gone down hill since his glory days as an indie movie maker. I recall MovieBob making a nice lil series on the topic a while back.
Ah Moviebob has a bug up his arse about Kevin Smith (like he does with just about everything except Nintendo), you treat someone as the second coming your bound to be disappointed eventually.

Anyway, I don't think it matters whether anyone actually thinks its a good idea, in spite of his detractors, he seems to do what he wants and more power to him for it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Mallrats... Had one or two moments, I guess. But it's probably the weakest of Smith's work that I've seen. It had a clear feeling of studio meddling, with bits of painful exposition and moments like someone imitating Wolverine (roll eyes) and then another character having to chime in to explain to the audience who Wolverine is (roll eyes, doublefacepalm, stomp feet on the floor). As a whole, it felt more gross than funny- sort of "frat boy" humor without the underlying charm and warmth that makes it work.

Maybe it will be better with a more experienced Smith at the wheel, less willing to tolerate meddling on the part of the suits...? I guess we'll see.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Wuvlycuddles said:
webkilla said:

Ah Moviebob has a bug up his arse about Kevin Smith (like he does with just about everything except Nintendo), you treat someone as the second coming your bound to be disappointed eventually.

Anyway, I don't think it matters whether anyone actually thinks its a good idea, in spite of his detractors, he seems to do what he wants and more power to him for it.
Have you seen his last couple of movies?

Cop out? Holy shit that thing sucked.

Red State? Interesting premise, but it turned weird... like genre flip half way through the movie where the three main guys where it goes full on waco - with the conspiracy stuff about the feds have to kill everyone.

Tusk? Ya... no.

Look, his last good movie was Clerks 2 - though IMO that wasn't interesting compared to Jay & Silent Bob Strikes back.

If this one turns out good... then fine - I will positively surprised. If it bombs it'll be the end of any faith I have in his abilty to make movies.

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
In his "An Evening with Kevin Smith" DVD he joked that he made Clerks 2 because he was "so bereft of original ideas".

Guess he wasn't joking.

Mar 26, 2008
I must be the only Mallrats fan in existence so I am stoked at this news! If Jason Lee is not involved though it's going to be disappointing.

I could relate a lot to Brodie when I was a teen; which is probably unfortunate.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
bdcjacko said:
Long awaited by who? Don't get me wrong, I loved mall rats back in the day. But I don't think it needs a sequal.
Well to be fair.... "No one" thought the first one needed to exist either. And that goes double a movie like Office-Space which was basically Seinfeld for even nerdier metropolites and kind of needed a little gestation time before it really caught on with the growing population of geeks coming out of the late 90's.