Malware Spreading via Steam Chats, Gains Access to Inventory

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
RenegadeDuck said:
and knows me from "the school." (Elementary? Middle school? High school? College? No? Just "the school"?)
In all fairness, it's a bog standard phishing line. Usually used in email because older people 1. may not remember the name or do remember it (e.g., "Hey, I'm Nick") but it's been a long time 2. are more likely to click on stuff by "friends". It provides an OK cover. On Steam, the "school" angle works rather well, since a lot of Steam users would be students - in any of those.

However, then again

RenegadeDuck said:
I'm sorry, I know it's obvious to everyone here that a message like this could only be a scam, I'm just shocked that there are people out there who would actually fall for a trap so humorously easy to spot.
Yeah, I agree it's easy to spot. But I don't agree that it's easy to spot for everybody. Users are morons, that's the first rule of dealing with them. Any user. For anything tech related.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
And here I thought everyone just really wanted my Strange Sydney Sleeper...

I specifically specify that people do not add me to trade, likewise, I don't accept friend requests from random people unless I played an exceptional round of CS:GO with them or some Mann Vs. Machine.

Might need to change that...

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
SPACE DAMMIT, I just got one of those and absent-mindedly clicked on it, but closed it immediately before it even fully opened the tab in my browser.
Currently scanning my PC, but I don't think anything downloaded.