Man Arrested For Trying to Split the Atom at Home

Jan 27, 2011
0_0 Whaaaaa...

The guy DOES realize that if he DID split the atom in his kitchen, it would have blown up his whole town? What the hell was he thinking?!

Wait...needs punctuation...

What the hell! Was he thinking?!

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
br1dg3 said:
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
Would anybody miss the one town it would take with it?
I don't think splitting one atom = nuclear explosion.

I think splitting the atoms in a chunk of unstable uranium = nuclear explosion.
I have to agree, the explosion wouldn't be that big with one atom, maybe part of his street, the residual effects could be more troublesome though.
The Chernobyl problem was a two-stage explosion that only blew up the plant, and that was a fair bit of unstable uranium, but the residue went across half the planet.
You know... The first many many times that the Atom was splitted, it was by a jewish-german women, who diden't even knew that she had actually managed to split the atom before several months later she did it.
And that weren't just single atoms she was handling.
No explosions of any kind, she just discovered that she now had two different elements and a minor loss of mass, which had been converted into energy.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
CM156 said:
Great choice on the image there!

OT:
Not G. Ivingname said:
... I am baffled wondering if this guy was a genius or a moron.
Both, I fear.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
I'd rather call that guy a jackass, plain and simple XD

eight bit hero said:
Splitting the atom in his kitchen? I want THAT chef knife.
Gordon Ramsey called... you know why.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Someone needs to hire this man.
He's clearly got some skill if he's just screwing around with atom-splitting in his spare time. o-o

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
This reminds me of a gut in Australia buiding his own nuclear reactor, worst thing is he almsot got it working and he ordered the bits online! Had a look online but can't find anything about it now :/

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Well, I wouldn't want my next door neighbor creating black holes [http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=worries-about-lhc-black-hole-resurf-2009-01-29] without a permit...

Dusty Fred

Aug 3, 2011
I'm inclined to see madness and genius as two sides of the same coin; in as much as they're both mental extremes far removed from common-or-garden thought processes. Also it's at least partly a matter of perception as to whether someone is labelled 'madman' or 'genius'. Depends on their intentions, the outcomes of their efforts and the field they apply themslves in. Mozart is frequently cited as a genius and he surely was but one wonders what a composer of music would have to do to be called a madman. Nuclear physics has ample potential for both - Albert Einstein is remembered as a genius among geniuses, while Edward Teller -for my money at least- leaves the impression of being a total headcase. With Rich Handl it sounds like a little from column A, a little from column B.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
How do you get your hands on materials like that? It's not like you can go down to your local hardware store and ask to see their supply of Radium. Or is that possible in Sweden? Crazy Swedes...

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
"Reports that when the police broke down his door and shouted that 'mankind had yet to recognize his genius,' sicked a twelve foot tall Australian body guard on his pursuers, and retreated to an underground concrete bunker are unconfirmed."

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
considering how easy it is to get small amounts of this stuff, im having a hard time understanding why it is illegal to possess it, i mean if it was enough to refine into weapons grade stuf fine but it sounds like he had a cup or so for "baking" purpouses

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Stalydan said:
I heard he was in mid battle with a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action when they caught him. Well that or I've been watching too much Disney Channel
I find this comment to be awesome.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
What! How dare they arrest him for doing science! His freedoms and rights were totally violated so ha...
Hardcore_gamer said:
I bet there will still be people who will insist that his "freedoms and rights" are being violated by having him arrested.......
Oh. Hello there.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
The guy's gonna get cancer for playing with radioactive material in his basement, isn't that punishment enough?

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
What? No! He was just recording the next episode of "Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time"!

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
lol that made me laugh. But I don't think that's why he was arrested xD

Wow, good for this guy that he went and followed his dreams and inspirations... too bad they could potentially kill and/or harm himself and others. I do hope the police don't arrest him for too long, he should be let go and just monitored. Although it does seem pretty strange that (what may be) a normal civilian could get his hands on various chemicals and proceed to do some hardcore science in his kitchen. To elaborate, if he IS just a normal civilian, then I suppose he could be commended for his ability to gather such chemicals.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
This guy is awesome! But really he shouldn't go to jail - a fine at most. This is stupid that he should be arrested like this.