Man Attaches Cyborg Camera Implant to His Skull

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
This just sounds incredibly stupid. I mean, what is going to be so amazing that is captured just by looking from the back of your head.
*shakes head* I think the guy deserved the pain for the idiocy of this.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
wammnebu said:
I wonder if a few months/years down the line it turns out that the magnets he placed in his skull start affecting his brain functions...like if it suddenly starts working.
http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/040216/16bipolar.htm
It very well could. After all, magnetic therapy (I can't think of the actual name for it) is used to physically alter brain functions. It's used as a temporary treatment for schizophrenia I believe.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
So this is on the back of his head..?
After a while all the pictures will just be of hair, either that or pictures of many people following him with weird looks on their faces as they wonder wtf he put on his head.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
MikailCaboose said:
wammnebu said:
I wonder if a few months/years down the line it turns out that the magnets he placed in his skull start affecting his brain functions...like if it suddenly starts working.
http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/040216/16bipolar.htm
It very well could. After all, magnetic therapy (I can't think of the actual name for it) is used to physically alter brain functions. It's used as a temporary treatment for schizophrenia I believe.
I think its ECT, and it includes electroshock therapy.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
I saw this in the paper today and I was like 'What the hell have you done man?'
agreed i mean i would just wanna pull it out if i was behind him

On another note your avatar is so AWESOME
Christmas + konata = genius

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Main thing I thought is, could it not have been attached in about a hundred other ways without being really creepy and being left a hole in the back of your head?

Secondly I thought, who'd miss the opportunity to build a big robotic eye around the camera shell? If you're going to be creepy, do it properly!

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
I guess this man
*puts on sun glasses*
really DOES have eyes in the back of his head

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Beat me to it :/

Gonna suck once his camera gets outdated.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Hang on, a 10 megapixel image is going to get transmitted out of a device stuck to his skull every minute for a year.

Enjoy your brain cancer.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Faeriian said:
...uh he agreed to turn off the camera when on campus to protect the students? from what? and if they need protection from..the camera? why dont other people need protection from it
Here's one reason: The street is public property. You're allowed photographing anyone and anything on public property. New York University isn't public property. People have different reasonable expectations of privacy in the non-public domain.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
In his immortal word uddered that day, the man who changed science said, "It hurt alot".

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
So, is that the actual camera? Because that's about as inconspicuous as this;

Actually, maybe even less. Seriously, I'd understand doing this if the camera was small. Then the people you see with it would actually be acting normal. And that could yield some interesting results. Instead, most pictures will just be of people confused by the man with a smoke detector drilled onto the back of his skull. Which could still produce some neat stuff, but a camera hat could do the same thing without requiring you to undergo painful surgery that might also be dangerous.

Some people are saying the project itself is stupid, and I disagree with that. However actually implanting the camera in his body is pretty dumb since it doesn't accomplish anything unique.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Reminds me a bit of the people that are into life-logging.

This has a completely different purpose though.

I actually considered life-logging at one point, but I'm still trying to figure out some technical hurdles, and a few other issues.

Mainly it's because I hate forgetting things, and take pictures obsessively anyway, so I figured why not?

But aside from technical challenges, I was also confronted with how to effectively disguise a set of cameras intended to show clearly what I'm looking at (which implies head-mounted), without looking like a complete and utter lunatic.

Copyright and privacy also comes into it, because while I wouldn't be inclined to make my lifelog publicly available, like some people do, there are those who don't like it if you take pictures of them.

Not to mention the headache of 'restricted' areas (london underground comes to mind), and those that cause issues with copyright (like a cinema, or museum).

Not to moments, like, say, having sex. (it's not such an issue if it's alone since I wouldn't intend to show it to people, but it could cause issues if there's another person involved.)

You might as why not just turn it off at moments like this, but the whole point of a life-log is that it records everything, so every time you turn it off, you're messing up it's purpose.

Of course, this 'art' project, while sharing some characteristics with a lifelog is definitely something odd. Who'd want to physically mount the camera to themselves, after all?
For that matter, it's on the back of his head, too...

Well, it takes all sorts I guess.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Is this legal? Can he take pictures of people without their permission and display them at an exhibit?