Man convicted of raping "Lovely Bones" author Alice Sebold is exonerated... 40 years later

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kind of a ready-made for Netflix true crime story. A producer working on an adaptation of Sebold's memoir "Lucky", about the author coming to terms with her rape, discovered some discrepancies in the book itself that suggested that the wrong man had been convicted of the crime. He left production (or was fired, news unclear) and hired a PI to corroborate his suspicions. The PI confirmed them, they got in touch with an attorney and they began a process to revoke the man's sentence 40 years after the fact, having already served 16 years in prison.

Alice Sebold was raped while in college, somewhere near campus. A few months later she ran into someone whom she identified as her rapist. Police picked him up and put him in a line up for Sebold to identify again - only she identified another man the second time around. Apparently she was then 'coached' into identifying the first man again - who was then convicted of rape. A year afterwards Sebold published her memoir Lucky, where she still identified the man, Anthony Broadwater, as her rapist. He was jailed in 1982 and released in 1998.

Cut back to the present time, the man's conviction was overturned earlier this week after a judge deemed “serious flaws” had occurred in the original prosecution. Primarily that the conviction had been based on some faulty CSI regarding hair DNA, and that the identification was no good either (in part, at least) because it was cross-race. Sebold is White, Anthony Broadwater is Black.

I'd watch that docuseries.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Nah, can't do a docuseries on it anymore. A few years ago, maybe. Now it would be dismissed as being "woke".

Seriously, though, this story makes my blood boil for several reasons. First, there's the obvious nature of a man being convicted of a crime he didn't do, based on faulty evidence AT BEST, because it was easier that way. There's also the fact that this case can now be brought up to dismiss real rape accusations by saying "This is why we can't just trust the accuser blindly!"

The article I found (because F the NYT paywall) also said that it wasn't hair DNA, but "microscopic hair analysis" that was found to be faulty. Which is even worse, IMO.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Someone beat you to it a few days ago.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Someone beat you to it a few days ago.
Didn't notice. I guess mods can lock this one or merge it or whatever.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
This is one more example why, despite the shit takes and blatant misogyny of proclaimed "Men's Rights Advocates" and "MGTOWS", the way society treats men in this day and age is something that desperately needs addressing in a sincere form.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
This is one more example why, despite the shit takes and blatant misogyny of proclaimed "Men's Rights Advocates" and "MGTOWS", the way society treats men in this day and age is something that desperately needs addressing in a sincere form.
As it stands, your choices are either them or the "Men's Lib" folks who consider the most important tenets of advocating for men being that first you should never say or do anything that might upset women and second that you should never say or do anything that is not in full agreement with whatever flavor of feminism is in vogue at the moment. Which ultimately makes it useless for dealing with any kind of structural problem because said flavor of feminism claims those simply don't exist for men - any men's issue is really a women's issue being viewed through the wrong lens and taking action to directly solve that women's issue will cause the men's issue to end on it's own.

Like how intactivists really just need to oppose FGM and support abortion and the ensuing increased belief in the bodily autonomy of women and girls will spill over to boys and end circumcision, except that, you know, that's not what has happened anywhere that abortion is legal and FGM is illegal. Instead intactivism gets reframed as anti-semitism to try to separate it from the bodily autonomy angle.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Nah, can't do a docuseries on it anymore. A few years ago, maybe. Now it would be dismissed as being "woke".

Seriously, though, this story makes my blood boil for several reasons. First, there's the obvious nature of a man being convicted of a crime he didn't do, based on faulty evidence AT BEST, because it was easier that way. There's also the fact that this case can now be brought up to dismiss real rape accusations by saying "This is why we can't just trust the accuser blindly!"

The article I found (because F the NYT paywall) also said that it wasn't hair DNA, but "microscopic hair analysis" that was found to be faulty. Which is even worse, IMO.
??? Given that we've had documentary series done on "The Squad" as recent as two years ago, I don't understand why you think a documentary about this wouldn't be made because it's "woke".